Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AT WHAT PERCENTAGE DO YOU SUSPECT SHILLING?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
I bid on a card that has a tight sell range and the card is now over that range. A sleeper prospect sbut not an unknown. The high bidder has a couple of bids and 14 rating w/ 40% of bids with user. I suspect shilling so am done bidding. if he cancels bids all will be canceled right? when do you suspect shilling?

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
I bid on a card that has a tight sell range and the card is now over that range. A sleeper prospect sbut not an unknown. The high bidder has a couple of bids and 14 rating w/ 40% of bids with user. I suspect shilling so am done bidding. if he cancels bids all will be canceled right? when do you suspect shilling?

I don't get people that bid on cards they want before the last minute of the auction.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:

I don't get people that bid on cards they want before the last minute of the auction.
+1, unless you don't have a sniper and aren't going to be around, but that's a low percentage of people.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
aw00d05 said:
pujolsjunkie said:

+1, unless you don't have a sniper and aren't going to be around, but that's a low percentage of people.

i don't use snipe so I usually put in a bid just to mark. If I want it, trust me I usually put a significant bid in and if I don't win that was the most I was going to pay anyway. But the question still stands, what percentage do you suspect shilling?

pudge1760

Aug 9, 2008
I am one who usually has a very limited budget. I bid whenever I find a card that I want, no matter how much time is left. I put in the most I am willing to pay and if I win, I win. If I do not win then it just was not meant to be. I think if you put in the most you are willing to pay and then get outbid then someone just wanted the card more than you. They valued that card higher than you did.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
There's no set percentage to say "THAT'S SHILLING!!!!!"

A guy may go on ebay, find a card, bid, and then look at the person's other items and bid on those. It isn't all swindlers out there.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I just found a card I wanted for .01...wanted to bid .54...and "accidently" bid $54.00! I am glad they aren't all shill bidders! got it for .01! :lol:

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
So there is this one player that a certain person has been selling for quite a while, very slowly. I was only bidding on his items for a couple months because nothing else was showing up that I wanted. I'm sure it looked messed up but if anyone knew either of us, I hope they'd think differently.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
E-bay as a whole, I would say less then 0.1%.

E-bay's baseball card(and related) auctions? I would guess >10%.

Members online