Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rios to the White Sox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I LOVE this move for the sox....

It will help them get younger, with contreras and colon gone next year, along with likely either Thome or Konerko (one of their contracts will pay for rios).

I thing this was genius by Kenny Williams

skrip

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
Chicago has the best team in the central to me. I think people are already forgetting that Jake Peavy will be back in September for them

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
If Quentin can't play as much, then this is a great trade. Otherwise, he'll just be a bench player for the rest of the year, with spot starts to relieve Quentin, Podsednik and Dye. I don't think he should replace Podsednik in the outfield, as I think that will decrease the offense. However, if Rios bats second behind Podsednik, with the power hitters right behind them, that could be a lethal combination.

RotoWire mentions that this is a move for the future, as Rios is a cheaper alternative to resigning Dye. This could be a really nice move for Rios, as I think his production could go up if he's not depended on to be the slugger.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
As frustrating as Rios has been to watch for the past two seasons, this is still an awful move. If he plays his best position, CF, Rios is hardly overpaid.

This money had better be reinvested, hopefully in an extension for Halladay as the FA class for next year is brutal.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
josh3302 said:
Chicago has the best team in the central to me. I think people are already forgetting that Jake Peavy will be back in September for them
I think he makes his first rehab start Thursday. And I think will make only three starts before being called up.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
WOW, I can't believe the Jays let him go for nothing. At least it frees up some money to sign Halladay or other players... at least I hope that is what they do with it. But the current Jay's owners are looking to cut payrole so this might be all that it is.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Reds in 2009 said:
Wasn't there a Lincecum for Rios trade on the table in the 2007 offseason but the Blue Jays declined it?

No. The Giants declined it.

I am totally ambivalent about losing Rios the player. I just don't trust the organization that the will reinvest as they say.......

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm Really surprised he got thru waivers this time.

I know he's been very disappointing the last season and a half, but he's a steal in this deal with a huge upside. Maybe all those seasoned veterans, playing for a job and being in the competition for post-season will kick-start his bat.

And I think the Jake deal and this potential steal make the Sox the favorites in the division for next year too.

Latest posts