Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did a scorekeeper error help Tulo get his cycle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Rickzcards said:
After watching this video I kinda think so. There is at least one if not two errors on the play.
Tulo's Triple

It wasn't an error by the scorekeeper. He knew what he was doing. If Tulo wasn't going for the cycle, then you can bet that would have been ruled an error.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
cowboysrule48 said:
Rickzcards said:
After watching this video I kinda think so. There is at least one if not two errors on the play.
Tulo's Triple

It wasn't an error by the scorekeeper. He knew what he was doing. If Tulo wasn't going for the cycle, then you can bet that would have been ruled an error.
You're right, I was just being nice by calling it a error on the scorekeeper's part. It's a total misuse of power and bad judgement.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
I'm as big of a Tulo fan as there is, so I was certainly rooting for the cycle. However, the scorer's decision on that play was certainly home cooking. Even with Soriano's initial bobble, Tulo would have been out by a mile with a clean throw. My initial reaction while watching the play live was that it should have been a double + error.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
Not even close to being a triple. Matter of fact, I'd venture to say nearly half of all triples are really doubles w/ an error or at least a very questionable route to the ball, fielding play, etc.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
steve-a-reno said:
Not even close to being a triple. Matter of fact, I'd venture to say nearly half of all triples are really doubles w/ an error or at least a very questionable route to the ball, fielding play, etc.

True but a route to the ball isn't an error is it? I understand it is an error in judgment but ever ruled an error?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I actually quit watching the game because it was so bad.

After watching the play now, I can't believe something like that can't be/doesn't get
overturned by MLB. That was one of the most blatant hometown scoring calls I've ever seen.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
steve-a-reno said:
The only ones that aren't are the ones just slapped down the first baseline by guys like Michael Bourn and Jose Reyes who can fly, and ocassionly the ones hit in the right center gap with a CF with a crap arm.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
The Cubs defense was sloppy, but I think you could argue that it's not an error. Yeah that may be generous, but it's not egregious. Soriano jogged after that ball like he expected Tulo to stop with a 2B (loafing is not an error). He mishandled the ball when trying to pick it up (this is where I would rule an error on the play). And then the relay throw was off target. Being that no one advanced a base on the poor throw, the relay probably shouldn't be ruled an error.

As an official scorer, I would give Soriano an error for misplaying the ball when he tried to pick it up.

Alex

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
The call didn't surprise me much honestly. Triples, as mentioned above, are subjective very often, so for him to get the call at home with a cycle on the line doesn't come as a surprise to me.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
UMich92 said:
The Cubs defense was sloppy, but I think you could argue that it's not an error. Yeah that may be generous, but it's not egregious. Soriano jogged after that ball like he expected Tulo to stop with a 2B (loafing is not an error). He mishandled the ball when trying to pick it up (this is where I would rule an error on the play). And then the relay throw was off target. Being that no one advanced a base on the poor throw, the relay probably shouldn't be ruled an error.

As an official scorer, I would give Soriano an error for misplaying the ball when he tried to pick it up.

Alex

The relay throw would have been in plenty of time if it wasn't so horrible. That is a clear error. This cycle is officially a joke.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Penno said:
The call didn't surprise me much honestly. Triples, as mentioned above, are subjective very often, so for him to get the call at home with a cycle on the line doesn't come as a surprise to me.
Not a surprise, just BS homer scoring which I think shouldn't be a part of the game.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
UMich92 said:

Alex

The relay throw would have been in plenty of time if it wasn't so horrible. That is a clear error. This cycle is officially a joke.

Exactly, it's no different than an errent throw to first base where the runner would normally be out, even if the runner doesn't go to second. The player CLEARLY would have been out.

Double with an error should have been the clear scoring of the play.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Sly said:
pujolsjunkie said:
UMich92 said:

Alex

Exactly, it's no different than an errent throw to first base where the runner would normally be out, even if the runner doesn't go to second. The player CLEARLY would have been out.

Double with an error should have been the clear scoring of the play.

The only real difference is that this is a tag play and not a force out.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
I only saw the replay once, but I don't think Tulo ever stopped running. If he had stopped or even paused at 2nd when Soriano mishandled the ball, that's a clear error. But he had the whole play in front of him and kept running, I think.

The real question is the lousy play at 3rd. But it was a tag out, not a force. So isn't it the same as a bad throw to 2nd when a runner is stealing? No error unless he advances to 3rd, and it's a SB.

I don't think it's as bad a call as some think. Besides, it doesn't really affect anything, so I suppose we shouldn't care too much. Just drive on thru :D

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
the fact that Soriano bobbled the ball AND the throw got past the thrid baseman even though Tulo out by 4-5 feet, I think scoring was wrong

With both bloopers taking place, hard to overlook

I do agree that since Tulo did not hesitate one step it made the decision easier for the scorer

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Who the hell cares? How the play is ruled doesn't affect the outcome of the game in any way, shape, or form

Members online

Latest posts