Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alex Gordon's HUGE slide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
I just checked the prices on Gordons chrome auto man is it ever sad how cheap it is. The last oen sold for 26 bucks. Does anyone know what the highest price were on those when he had all the hype and does anyone think he'll ever become something???

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I still feel they are selling a little high. If they drop a little more, I might take a chance on him.

Billy Butler is going to be a greater hitter in that line up

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
Mattty07, your sig is ridiculous. :p

As for Gordon, I remember someone selling one of those Topps cut-outs for $10,000 grand on eBay and explaining that Alex was a guaranteed future Hall of Famer.

Good times...

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
WaxHeaven said:

As for Gordon, I remember someone selling one of those Topps cut-outs for $10,000 grand on eBay and explaining that Alex was a guaranteed future Hall of Famer.

Good times...

I bet alot of people lost alot of money on him

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
matty07 said:
WaxHeaven said:

Good times...

I bet alot of people lost alot of money on him

I bet a lot of people lose a lot of money on just about every prospect. For every person that sells at a profit, is another person who probably buys and either never sells or sells for a much lower price

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
He picked up sales at the start of the season when he hit that bomb. I bought a blue for 75 in the offseason and sold it for 150. I mean I woudl buy chromes at 25 all day

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
mredsox89 said:
I bet a lot of people lose a lot of money on just about every prospect. For every person that sells at a profit, is another person who probably buys and either never sells or sells for a much lower price

:|

So you're saying, if somebody actually collects these baseball cards, they are losing a lot of money.

Some people actually collect these things for fun you know... not everybody is trying to make money off of cardboard.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
RL24 said:
mredsox89 said:

:|

So you're saying, if somebody actually collects these baseball cards, they are losing a lot of money.

Some people actually collect these things for fun you know... not everybody is trying to make money off of cardboard.

+100

cubsfan2513

Jan 22, 2009
Omaha, NE/Chicago, IL
I dont know if he was overhyped. He won college player of the year and MILB player of the year in consecutive years, I can see why his prices were so high. He is a hometown player for me so Ive been a fan of his since his college days and I was mad when i was going to have to pay $150+ for his chrome autos, but now I am having a hayday with his low prices. I still think he will be a good player just not the hall of famer that all the people paying $150+ were hoping for. At least Im not in on him for profit. He's my favorite player and I enjoy collecting him, but if anyone wants to dump any of his stuff shoot me a pm!

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Olberman was the guy picking up Gordon stuff by the truck load, he must of bough all of the topps
Gordon "variations" including the ones made in peoples basement. All prospects crash after a while, you
have to sell at the right time, which for 90% of them are before they hit the majors. You never hear
about the collectors stuck with this crap, I guess they just go in a showbox to live out the rest of their
days. They can't all be Rick Ankiel.

Kevin

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Dallas McPherson
Delmon Young
Alex Gordon

...the biggest prospect busts (although I think Gordon will be solid) so far due to the BMB hype-train

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
HPC said:
Dallas McPherson
Delmon Young
Alex Gordon

...the biggest prospect busts (although I think Gordon will be solid) so far due to the BMB hype-train

"due to"? How did the BMB make them busts? Almost all of their hype came from outside the BMB and baseball card world anyway.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
cubsfan2513 said:
I dont know if he was overhyped. He won college player of the year and MILB player of the year in consecutive years, I can see why his prices were so high. He is a hometown player for me so Ive been a fan of his since his college days and I was mad when i was going to have to pay $150+ for his chrome autos, but now I am having a hayday with his low prices. I still think he will be a good player just not the hall of famer that all the people paying $150+ were hoping for. At least Im not in on him for profit. He's my favorite player and I enjoy collecting him, but if anyone wants to dump any of his stuff shoot me a pm!

True collector. Props!

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
We're worried about Gordon's chromes falling to around $26 when you can have buy Bowman Chrome autograph rookie of a 4x All Star for a dollar less? Crazy hobby.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
Penno said:
We're worried about Gordon's chromes falling to around $26 when you can have buy Bowman Chrome autograph rookie of a 4x All Star for a dollar less? Crazy hobby.

I'm gonna play stupid on here but who is the 4x all star??

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
matty07 said:
excel_B said:
one word - overrated...
you can argue that but he had amazing minor league stats along with his college so I can see where the hype was

Amazing stats in the Cal League generally don't impress me. I was grilled on the BMB for suggesting Gordon was over-hyped. Alex Gordon is another Gary Gaetti, solid marginal all-star caliber player. You might see a little power boost out of him in the next year or two. If your holding that will be the time to fold him or you can hope the Red Sox pick him up in five years. In the meantime the Royals are going nowhere so his card prices may further decrease in price.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
f2tornado said:
matty07 said:
excel_B said:
one word - overrated...
you can argue that but he had amazing minor league stats along with his college so I can see where the hype was

Amazing stats in the Cal League generally don't impress me. I was grilled on the BMB for suggesting Gordon was over-hyped. Alex Gordon is another Gary Gaetti, solid marginal all-star caliber player. You might see a little power boost out of him in the next year or two. If your holding that will be the time to fold him or you can hope the Red Sox pick him up in five years. In the meantime the Royals are going nowhere so his card prices may further decrease in price.

Were you grilled for thinking Alex Gordon played in the Cal League? :)

Members online

Latest posts