Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wilmer Flores 1/1 EEE elite auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I wouldn't pay half that for the card.

Even as a Mets fan, nothing about Wilmer Flores excites me. I can't put my money in a non-athletic ball player, even of their bat plays.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
NECpilgrims8 said:
soccerman034 said:
I would pay double that for that card (not joking).

Curious what you like about him to drop $800 on that card?

Love the raw tools along with a polished approach at the plate (56 SO in nearly 400 AB is great for a 17/18 year old in A ball)...Its a risky purchase, but with the Mets fan base (keep in mind someone once paid more than $5 grand for an FMART 1/1 auto), its got a lot of upside as well.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
soccerman034 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
soccerman034 said:

Love the raw tools along with a polished approach at the plate (56 SO in nearly 400 AB is great for a 17/18 year old in A ball)...Its a risky purchase, but with the Mets fan base (keep in mind someone once paid more than $5 grand for an FMART 1/1 auto), its got a lot of upside as well.

I understand that there is more in getting to know a prospect, but scouting reports like this don't speak kindly. I get that he can hit, which the scout below talks about, but I'm not so sure how he is going to play the field in the NL. If he was an AL prospect, this would certainly be a different story.

"Flores grew on me. He can hit," the scout said. "I don’t know how much power he’s going to have—and he’s a legit 25 runner with well below-average athleticism—but he has a knack for putting the barrel on the ball. And he shows plate discipline and pitch recognition at a young age.

"His hands are really good and they allow him to manipulate the barrel and adjust to pitches in all parts of the zone. They help his defense, too. But he’s not a good athlete and he can’t run at all."

Viewers of the Futures Game already have some familiarity with Flores’ lack of footspeed. It seemed to take him days to run out an infield grounder during that prospect showcase, and he again showed well below-average speed in Sunday’s Sand Gnats game at Greensboro

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
NECpilgrims8 said:
soccerman034 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
soccerman034 said:

I understand that there is more in getting to know a prospect, but scouting reports like this don't speak kindly. I get that he can hit, which the scout below talks about, but I'm not so sure how he is going to play the field in the NL. If he was an AL prospect, this would certainly be a different story.

"Flores grew on me. He can hit," the scout said. "I don’t know how much power he’s going to have—and he’s a legit 25 runner with well below-average athleticism—but he has a knack for putting the barrel on the ball. And he shows plate discipline and pitch recognition at a young age.

"His hands are really good and they allow him to manipulate the barrel and adjust to pitches in all parts of the zone. They help his defense, too. But he’s not a good athlete and he can’t run at all."

Viewers of the Futures Game already have some familiarity with Flores’ lack of footspeed. It seemed to take him days to run out an infield grounder during that prospect showcase, and he again showed well below-average speed in Sunday’s Sand Gnats game at Greensboro

Sounds like a future 1B to me; again, I know its a risky investment, but I think $800 (or some thing around that) is pretty decent for that card.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
soccerman034 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
soccerman034 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
soccerman034 said:

Sounds like a future 1B to me; again, I know its a risky investment, but I think $800 (or some thing around that) is pretty decent for that card.

And to be any sort of high calibur, all-star 1B in the MLB, you must flash some serious power. His power numbers have actually declined, while his K:BB ratio has been steadily good.

If you look at current big league 1B, you have two groups.

Power Hitters: Texiera, Morneau, Gonzalez, Fielder, Pujols
Contact Hitters: Kotchman, Johnson, Loney, Murphy

So, he will need to flash come serious power to be a top 1B in the Majors, which will also dictate his hype.

Members online

Latest posts