Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Its time of the decade where I need another back surgery....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
A lot of you know I have crazy pain from spinal stenosis and sciatica nerve pain. Its a 7 on a 0-10 skill. Had my first surgery when I was a freshman at UCLA. In less than 2 weeks I'm going under the knife again but its a big surgery; no mess ups. They're going in and creating more space where my lower back is in the spinal column.

BTW, did I mention I fear surgery? So I need your support please. I can't stop thinking, "what if he makes a mistake...what if he makes a mistake....".

Allen

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Bruin7 said:
A lot of you know I have crazy pain from spinal stenosis and sciatica nerve pain. Its a 7 on a 0-10 skill. Had my first surgery when I was a freshman at UCLA. In less than 2 weeks I'm going under the knife again but its a big surgery; no mess ups. They're going in and creating more space where my lower back is in the spinal column.

BTW, did I mention I fear surgery? So I need your support please. I can't stop thinking, "what if he makes a mistake...what if he makes a mistake....".

Allen
Ummm....what are they removing??

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
No need to be so worried really. Those are almost common place surgeries now a days. I've had 2 surgeries(and heading for a third eventually) on my neck already, with 3 disks removed, and 5 total vertebrate's fused, and 3 of them with a steel plate. Yes, I feel your pain(literally), but they have come along ways with that type of surgery. Good luck to ya and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Art

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Bruin7 said:

Allen
I had two major major surgeries this year and I had the same thoughts leading up to the first one. I imagined just about every bad scenario possible but once I got to it it calmed me down. I had never had surgery before and thought I was terrified, but I ended up OK.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Bruin7 said:

Allen

I hear you on the fear of surgery. I've had three major operations with two on my esophagus and the third on my stomach. I had all the muscles cut out of the esophagus and over half my stomach removed and I was terrified each time. The best advice I can give is to be diligent in your research of the doctors and the various methods used to perform the surgery. Sometimes the right doctor isn't always in your home town and although travel may seem difficult if it puts you at ease to go to the best then it's well worth it. Although if you're having this surgery at UCLA you should be in good hands as they have amazing surgeons across the board.(Of course I'm a little biased as I'm the class of '91).

Good luck and whatever you do just try and be at peace with your decision. I know I stressed like crazy each time I went under but ultimately I know I did the right thing and with the right people. Now coincidentally, I'm off to the hospital to be put under to have some tests to see how I'm healing from the last one.

Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts