Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Issue: Could use some opinions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Sold this card a week or two ago: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

I got this message this morning, from the buyer:

"This card is not a GOLD REFRACTOR. This card is a team pinnacle card. Where did you get it was a GOLD REFRACTOR?? There is no GOLD REFRACTOR listed for the 96 Pinnacle. Want to know how you got this and from where. Refractors come from CHROME or FINEST cards. What do you plan to do about this??"

My response:

"The card has a refractory like finish, and is gold...I forgot that Donruss did not use the refractor denotation for its inserts. Sorry for the confusion. If you send the card back, when I get the card back, I will give you a refund. That is the most I can do. Let me know!"

His response:

"I bought what I thought was a gold refractor card, that is what is listed, that is what I want. If you look at the price of the 96 Finest gold refractor it books for $80. This card books for $25. The way I see it, you owe me $55 in Cal Ripken cards, or a gold refractor of Ripken. The choice is yours. Let me know when I can expect my card/cards."

What should I do?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The buyer purchased the card to hold you hostage. I'd send the demands to eBay/PayPal and show that you offered a refund. It's extortion.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
He is not entitled to a FINEST Gold Refractor card. He is entitled to the card listed, which clearly was misnoted as to what it was (which was NOT a FINEST Gold Refracator).

Okay, fine, it happens. He needs to accept the refund or keep the card. He is not entitled to an additional $55, considering he bought the card for $2.

He said himself, the card listed in the auction title does not exist, therefore, he is not entitled to a card completely different...Ugh...

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Yep, like others have said, this guy is just trying to weasel out some free cards. Tell him to send it back for a refund or keep it. I can't believe someone would cause this much fuss over a $2 win. I'm more inclined to believe he bought it to do just this to try to get free cards. Send it off to eBay if he refuses to send back for a refund and demands more cards.

BunchOBull said:
Also, I would like this buyer's ID so I can block him.

Please let us know his id.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Oh...the eBay morons! Obviously the person know exactly what they were getting when they bought it. They are thinking they can screw the system and you. Fortunately the sale was low so no matter what happens you may only be out a couple of bucks since paypal/ebay usually likes to side with the buyer.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
If he knew Refractors come from Chrome and Finest, why would he think he'd be getting one in an auction for something from Pinnacle? He's either an idiot or an *******. No wait, he can certainly be both.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
You had no business putting gold refractor in the title, that being said, refund his money and have him send the card back. If he doesnt send the card than take the loss. In this case you really should refund the $ 1st and hope he sends the card. Remember you made the mistake.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
if he send the card back than refund him his money. if he doesn't than don't. he paid $2 so why does he want $55 in cards.
please let us know his id so we can block him

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Honestly, I'd just refund him and chalk it up to the cost of a mistake. For $5 (with shipping), you've already spent too much time thinking about it. I'd apologize, refund him, and block him. If he makes a stink beyond that, then he fits into the categories Brett Keith laid out.

"..the way I see it.." is enough to piss me off. I could care less how he sees it, if that's the result. The way I see it, he's a moron.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I would refund the 2 bucks and let him keep the card.
even if he did charge back your not out much.
as for actual value of what he thought he bought. You don't know what the secondary market
is for any card, so you owe him nothing.
Yo should ask him for more money since you book the card at 50 and it sold for 2.

I would just give him the money and move on.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
His ebay user name: gr8mp

How do I go about reporting him to ebay?

I am hesitant to just refund the money...I know its not that much, but isn't that just sending him a message that he can do this and come away with a free card?

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
soccerman034 said:
I am hesitant to just refund the money...I know its not that much, but isn't that just sending him a message that he can do this and come away with a free card?

Yeah, it is. But there are jackasses in the world; you just happened to hit one.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
88-90 Topps, DLP and/or Fleer Ripken cards book for $ .50-1. I would send him 50-100 of those, to fulfill his demand of $55 in Ripken cards.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
soccerman034 said:
If you look at the price of the 96 Finest gold refractor it books for $80. This card books for $25. The way I see it, you owe me $55 in Cal Ripken cards, or a gold refractor of Ripken."

I would reply by telling him he owes me $23 because he didn't pay what the card "booked" for in the first place. You know, Beckett says it's worth $25. He only paid $2.00. He should annie up and actually pay what it's worth. :lol:

Members online