Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this a little ridiculous??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
there are a lot of dumb people who will run that stuff up cus he is hot, but what i dont understand is how do they miss an elite extra rookie auto, and let those still sell for very cheap. if anything should be 70, those should be, because 710 copies is kind of an SP.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If you're referring to Bowman Chrome they'll gain and loose popularity over time just like anything else in the hobby, although they'll always be propped up a little more than other types of cards in the hobby to some extent by those trying to make a buck given the gambling nature of prospecting.

matty07 said:
I dont ever remember hearing about them being SP's....I'm starting to think 1st year chrome cards mean nothing anymore

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Something else that's kinda ridculous is the Ginter cards that are cut from boxes and beng sold. Never thought I'd throw the most valuable card from the box away.

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
I think it's great especially as I am the seller :D .

These were selling for $20 two or three weeks ago. Probably will be again in a few more weeks.

Now we'll see if I get paid.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
matty07 said:
chashawk said:
Unless it is ridiculously SPed, that price in insane.

I dont ever remember hearing about them being SP's....I'm starting to think 1st year chrome cards mean nothing anymore

I never thought I would say this, but I think it might be headed that way. The 1st year autos just aren't in their normal commanding position anymore. I'm an old school collector in that I think the RC logo is a joke, but it appears it's taken hold. That and the combination of overdoing the autos pre RC logo has hurt.

Back when you knew a guy's 1st auto was going to be most likely his last chrome auto it was a big deal. Now they just make another the next year, and then another when he gets called up. So the demand is now spread between three different autos instead of the first one like we had 2005 and earlier.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
nborton said:
matty07 said:
chashawk said:
Unless it is ridiculously SPed, that price in insane.

I never thought I would say this, but I think it might be headed that way. The 1st year autos just aren't in their normal commanding position anymore. I'm an old school collector in that I think the RC logo is a joke, but it appears it's taken hold. That and the combination of overdoing the autos pre RC logo has hurt.

Back when you knew a guy's 1st auto was going to be most likely his last chrome auto it was a big deal. Now they just make another the next year, and then another when he gets called up. So the demand is now spread between three different autos instead of the first one like we had 2005 and earlier.

I completely agree with you..Look at David Price. His first year auto is sterling and that sells the cheapest from his 08 chrome auto and his 09 spx auto

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
In many cases (not all), Autos are getting premiums over non-autos, even if they aren't rookie years, especially if there wasn't a auto available in their rookie years.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
LOL, what does 'old school collector' mean, that you're 20? Twenty years ago RCs did not picture MiLB guys, old school RCs = today's RC logos.

nborton said:

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
uniquebaseballcards said:
LOL, what does 'old school collector' mean, that you're 20? Twenty years ago RCs did not picture MiLB guys, old school RCs = today's RC logos.

nborton said:

Nope. I'm 30, and it doesn't matter what I like anyway because it's becoming fairly clear that the RC logo is slowly taking hold.

What I meant by old school is that everyone used to see a rookie as the first licensed card printed of a guy. It didn't matter when it was printed. It could either be early (McGwire), or late (Jordan's Fleer RC). All that mattered was it was the first licensed card. Now it's all about when the guy played his first season. What happens when they don't print a card during a guy's rookie year? Are they then going to do the RC logo the following year, which will actually be his second year in the league? That's basically what I don't like. It's much easier just to say, "here's the first licensed card made".

Maybe things will change now that Topps is the only game in town.

I'm just glad I don't collect rookies anymore. Player collecting is much easier these days.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
The thing I hate about collecting rookies these years is that there are TOO many of them.
Some players have like over 50 DIFFERENT first year cards...that is insane.
It would be nice if they made just like 3
1) Base (no gu or auto) for kids - thousands of them
2) GU or limited print for hobbyists
3) Auto, in printruns of /100 /50 /25 and ONE 1/1 for the elitest

There are just too many 1/1's too...

Members online