Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who Else Here is Attempting this Master Set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clrunyo

Apr 27, 2009
Arlington Texas
2009 Allen & Ginter

I just wanted to know if there was anyone else here on FCB that was giving it a shot or already have done it?

Thanks
Chris

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
sportscardtheory said:
What exactly is a master set? One of every card including parallels and inserts in the product other than 1/1s?

i would consider the master set being base set with all sps including the minis and grey extended minis and all non auto'd/game used inserts

clrunyo

Apr 27, 2009
Arlington Texas
I dont know what exactly to call it but, in my eyes the Master Set is the entire Base Set including SP's, the entire Minis Set including SP's, the entire Black Border Minis Set including SP's, all of the mini sub sets, the entire code cards set including SP's, the baseball highlights set, and all of the Relics and Autos.

Thats what im after.

If anyone knows a better name than Master Set please LMK!

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
clrunyo said:
I dont know what exactly to call it but, in my eyes the Master Set is the entire Base Set including SP's, the entire Minis Set including SP's, the entire Black Border Minis Set including SP's, all of the mini sub sets, the entire code cards set including SP's, the baseball highlights set, and all of the Relics and Autos.

Thats what im after.

Master Set would probably be the right name. I think the only other things you don't mention besides the 1/1's are the Bazookas and the actual rip cards. Are you going for them?

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
clrunyo said:

Thats what im after.

A couple of cases of wax, an nice paypal balance and some patience is what I'd call it.

Go for it, it'll be fun. I'm in the process of building my own set project.

clrunyo

Apr 27, 2009
Arlington Texas
It would be neat to try for all of the Rip Cards and Bazooka Backs too but, that seems a little to unrealistic to me :lol:

I think going for what i listed is going to be a task in its own.
Especially hunting for the SP Autos of like David Wright, Jose Reyes, Ryan Howard etc.

So far im trying to see what i could get just trading and i've gotten over 60% of the Relics and a nice amount of Autos.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Sweetness said:
clrunyo said:

Thats what im after.

A couple of cases of wax, an nice paypal balance and some patience is what I'd call it.

Go for it, it'll be fun. I'm in the process of building my own set project.

What is it, pray tell?

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
clrunyo said:
I think going for what i listed is going to be a task in its own.

That's an understatement. I would think just keeping track of what you have/need would be a difficult task.

Good luck! It would make a sweet web-site to have them all on display.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I do the Ginter sets every year and have so since 06. That includes the base set with short prints, any subset
which there are three of this year. Then I do the regular mini set with all the sub sets. I am also trying to
do the baseball GU set and get as many of the autos as I can. Right now I have 29 different autos including
Phelps and many of the higher priced celebs.

I also have a stack of rarer mini cards inlcuding a bazooka of the Laporta.

What I have been most proud of is my wood mini stash, all the cards 1/1's. I have 4 of them, Lackey, Kerhshaw
Holliday and Pujols. Im working on the Hawpe plate set (half way there) the Holliday master set (also have the
red ink auto) and the Ryan Howard mini master set (have one plate but need a bazooka).

We have a group of hard core ginter traders on another board and I have benn fortunate to pick up some nice
cards. This years set rocks!

Kevin

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I just remembered that I did a Brewer's Bazooka mini set in 2006. I agree that doing a full Bazooka set would be practically impossible. It was tough (and expensive) enough to do these.

BrewersBazookaAGsmall.jpg

I added those last two when they joined the Brewers.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Doing the bazooka backs would be tough but it can be done...

I myself go for the regular set and the mini set and all subsets including sp's.No autos or GU but I do pick up some here or there.

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
ThoseBackPages said:
a Master Set would have to include anything that is not a 1/1

Agreed. I think everyone should collect whatever they like or want, but a 'Master Set' typically includes all pack issued cards from a set. It commonly excludes 1/1s though.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
thehamiltonian said:
ThoseBackPages said:

Agreed. I think everyone should collect whatever they like or want, but a 'Master Set' typically includes all pack issued cards from a set. It commonly excludes 1/1s though.

But technically a real master set would have to include all 1/1's too if you really want to have a "Master Set".Bascially these days it would be almost impossible.Anything numbered to 5 or higher in my opinion is possible provided you have not only the money but the time to make damn sure you jump on every single item you need(which is a battle all by itself).But as 1/1's go...with player collectors and also team collectors going after things...you'd be mega hard pressed to pull that off.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
predatorkj said:
thehamiltonian said:
ThoseBackPages said:

But technically a real master set would have to include all 1/1's too if you really want to have a "Master Set".Bascially these days it would be almost impossible.Anything numbered to 5 or higher in my opinion is possible provided you have not only the money but the time to make damn sure you jump on every single item you need(which is a battle all by itself).But as 1/1's go...with player collectors and also team collectors going after things...you'd be mega hard pressed to pull that off.

Seems like when you start adding in every 1/1, you're not really talking about a master SET. Since there's only 1 of those possible, it's like having the master collection. I mean really, how silly is it to say that a Master Set has to have every plate (all 4 colors) and every wood and sketch card of every player?
Can a "set" contain only 1 possible collection? It can in math, but probably not in card collecting parlance.

But if you advertised a Master Set on ebay, you would probably have to mention not having the Bazookas and rip cards if they weren't included. If you didn't mention that all 1/1's were not included, I don't think anyone would be attempting a chargeback. :)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff D said:
predatorkj said:
thehamiltonian said:
ThoseBackPages said:

Seems like when you start adding in every 1/1, you're not really talking about a master SET. Since there's only 1 of those possible, it's like having the master collection. I mean really, how silly is it to say that a Master Set has to have every plate (all 4 colors) and every wood and sketch card of every player?
Can a "set" contain only 1 possible collection? It can in math, but probably not in card collecting parlance.

But if you advertised a Master Set on ebay, you would probably have to mention not having the Bazookas and rip cards if they weren't included. If you didn't mention that all 1/1's were not included, I don't think anyone would be attempting a chargeback. :)

I agree with that perception but when I think master anything...I think the whole deal.But I do know and understand that with the limited ability to do that these days...1/1's are a commonly left out item.

I guess that's just me.I know when I say I am collecting Bagwell I count and mean 1/1's.Sure I may never get them all but that is my goal.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
predatorkj said:
I guess that's just me.I know when I say I am collecting Bagwell I count and mean 1/1's.Sure I may never get them all but that is my goal.

I think that's fair, and I count 1/1's as legitimate cards towards my player collection as well (although once I get one of the four plates, I'm done). But I think the mentality and ultimate goals are a little different in player collecting as opposed to set collecting.
It seems easy to agree that a 1/1 set collection would be impossible to complete, and therefore not worth of having a term to describe it. You could be right that technically a "master set" might need to include all 1/1's, but I don't know anyone that would want to. :)

Can you complete a rainbow without all 4 color plates?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff D said:
predatorkj said:

I think that's fair, and I count 1/1's as legitimate cards towards my player collection as well (although once I get one of the four plates, I'm done). But I think the mentality and ultimate goals are a little different in player collecting as opposed to set collecting.
It seems easy to agree that a 1/1 set collection would be impossible to complete, and therefore not worth of having a term to describe it. You could be right that technically a "master set" might need to include all 1/1's, but I don't know anyone that would want to. :)

Can you complete a rainbow without all 4 color plates?

Theoretically no.But like I said...I guess its all up to perception.What is perceived to be a master set or rainbow.Now we all kinda cheat a little just so we can say we did something.And I don't hold that against a single person considering how impossible it is to have every 1/1.Bad thing is...its not even about money at that point...just luck, seeing things before others do, or even getting the chance to try to win them.That is the hard part.

Members online

Latest posts