Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Elusive Jake Locker Signs With the Angels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Normally a 10th rounder wouldn't get much interest on these boards, but this is no ordinary player.

The Angels pulled off a major coup by locking up Locker. Possibly the best athlete in this year's draft. Nearly every source I've read told me there was virtually no chance he'd pass up football. Of course, this contract doesn't guarantee he will, but if he does, he's going to be special.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... wfb16.html

Rejoice, Halos fans. If he decides to play, you've got a gem here.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I highly doubt that he ever puts on an Angels uniform. Locker was one of the most sought after recruits in football coming out of high school and he will more than likely stay in football.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
I highly doubt that he ever puts on an Angels uniform. Locker was one of the most sought after recruits in football coming out of high school and he will more than likely stay in football.
Thought that name sounded familiar, he may go after college and give baseball a try like Samardja or whatever the hell his name is.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jays_Cards said:

He was drafted once before, but passed. I'm thinking the Angels made him an offer he couldn't refuse this time around, and so I think he'll eventually play baseball.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Jaypers said:
Jays_Cards said:

He was drafted once before, but passed. I'm thinking the Angels made him an offer he couldn't refuse this time around, and so I think he'll eventually play baseball.

I think of this as a Drew Henson/Dennis Dixon type of situation. Football has become so much more popular and the bonuses given to young players in the NFL absolutely destroy what MiLBers get.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
How he does this year and how scouts view his future in the NFL will likely have a big impact on what he decides to do, or how soon he decides. Hopefully he finishes up football and decides to play baseball, it's always a welcome addition to get an athlete of his caliber in the game. Could be a reverse Drew Henson situation.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jays_Cards said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":3shp3gfz]I highly doubt that he ever puts on an Angels uniform. Locker was one of the most sought after recruits in football coming out of high school and he will more than likely stay in football.

I think of this as a Drew Henson/Dennis Dixon type of situation. Football has become so much more popular and the bonuses given to young players in the NFL absolutely destroy what MiLBers get.[/quote:3shp3gfz]

The bonuses destroy those in baseball if you're a premium pick. Last I heard, there were doubts about Locker's future in football, because people don't really see him(atleast not now) as an NFL QB, he's seen as more of a Tebow, but without the track record. So if he's a lower 1st or lower in the NFL, it's likely his bonus wouldn't be as much as he could get in baseball, then ofcourse there's injury risk and non-gauranteed contracts that come with playing in the NFL. Now we don't know what the potential of his baseball deal is, so it's hard to talk too seriously about comparing potential deals.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
ryanhoward06 said:
Wow, pretty cool.

I wonder if he can get a card?

I would assume he could. I don't know if any of the other football/baseball guys have had a card prior to playing a pro game, but I don't think there's anything holding him back from having a card if he signed a deal with some company. It would be a nice get for Topps for Bowman Draft, as he'd sell on potential or be popular with Huskies fans.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
He was Tim Tebow part 2 when he came to the Huskies. I think a few injuries and playing for a crappy team didn't help

he has no future in the NFL. Trust me

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
this has turned out to be a huge draft for the angels organization as it adressed a gaping hole we had in the system. can't wait for the dp products to hit :cool:

Members online