Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can CHIPPER MAKE IT TO THE 500 HR CLUB...THE RIGHT WAY?

What do you think?

• Chipper will make it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike is Cool !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I never thought of Chipper as a 500HR club member, but he is encroaching that number quickly, but so is his age.
Another intereseting thought about the 500HR club, is that although it has been accomplished 9 times in the last 12 years, 6 of those 9 were on Steroids...(Thome, Griffey, and Thomas being the exception), so to do it the "right" way, If chipper can pull it off is really quite an accomplishment.

Recent 500HR Club Cheaters
McGwire
Sosa
Palmeiro
Sheffield
Manny
AROD

Chipper is 37 years old and needs 77 more HR.
He has 15HR this season and on course to get 10 more off that 77 this season.
If he needs 67 after this season he can make it by
A) averaging 23 HR for 3 more years to age of 40
B) averaging 17HR for 4 more years to age 41
C) averaging 14HR for 5 more years to age 42

What's left in his tank??

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Did you say he is encrouching that #? HUH? He used. I voted for Chipper used. I do not believe Griffey used though. He is the only one in the group who didn't. Griffey went on raw ability. He was to lazy to even lift weights, so roids would not have helped him anyway. The other guys did want to be as good as possible, and were willing to do whatever it took. I have no problem with it either since there was no penalty for it.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
I think he'll make it, but it'll be close. If he can keep playing near where he's at now, he'll get it. He's been relatively healthy this year, and I don't recall his feet acting up on him, a main concern. Oblique issues have still be precent, but hasn't he blamed that on being a switch hitter?

Regarding PED's, I don't think there is any evidence to support the fact that Chipper used. Even if one was reaching, his 3 big HR years came in the supposed prime of ones career, I can't recall many/anyone on his teamates in those years being suspected. The Braves have never been a team that just harbored PED use, at least on the surface.

That being said, anyone in the last 10-20 years will be suspected when reaching milestones. Understandably so.

aprimo

Jan 23, 2009
At his age and with his history of injuries it will be tough. It seems like for those late 30s-early 40s years, each year keeping up the production gets exponentially tougher, for the clean guys anyway. I never thought of Chipper as a user and will give him the benefit of the doubt until I am given a good reason not to. I remember how respectful Chipper was of Biggio during his last game, so I hope he gets to end his career on a positive note, milestone or not. The way Bagwell was forced to end his career due to injury really sucked.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
bodiaz said:
Did you say he is encrouching that #? HUH? He used. I voted for Chipper used. I do not believe Griffey used though. He is the only one in the group who didn't. Griffey went on raw ability. He was to lazy to even lift weights, so roids would not have helped him anyway. The other guys did want to be as good as possible, and were willing to do whatever it took. I have no problem with it either since there was no penalty for it.

Thomas did not use PEDs. Get over it.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not a believer in "the right way" and "the wrong way"...just numbers. Numbers should be put into context if possible, but going from era to era, drugs to drugs, pitchers to pitchers...it's tough to get a grasp of it.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
BunchOBull said:
bodiaz said:

Thomas did not use PEDs. Get over it.

You are 100% correct that he DID NOT use them. He was a monster as it was.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts