Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

With Chrome about for a week... Your overall thoughts?

Your Opinion on 2008 BCDP Cases for under $500 Delivered

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
What are your overall thoughts???

Do you think that $460-$470 a case is a good deal? mediocre? A steal?

Just wondering your thoughts. I had my cases come today, but I was gone, and since they were insured, they were not delivered. So I will need to wait until MOnday night sadly.

Skrip

kruzie3

Sep 25, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Right now, I voted good deals. If you look at some of the prices now, no one expected them to be so low. I think in the next month or so, these could be steals once Sterling/Razor comes out. You will be able pick up some really nice stuff for nothing I would imagine

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
kruzie3 said:
Right now, I voted good deals. If you look at some of the prices now, no one expected them to be so low. I think in the next month or so, these could be steals once Sterling/Razor comes out. You will be able pick up some really nice stuff for nothing I would imagine

I agree. But I love that the Aflacs are easier pulls, and that they cut down the production. I just find it really hard to think that $465 after live.com delivered is not a great deal. Less than $40 a box is nuts.

skrip

kruzie3

Sep 25, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
ballerskrip said:
kruzie3 said:

I agree. But I love that the Aflacs are easier pulls, and that they cut down the production. I just find it really hard to think that $465 after live.com delivered is not a great deal. Less than $40 a box is nuts.

skrip

The AFLAC pulls are crazy. People are getting 2 boxes and are hitting an AFLAC or possibly 2. But less than $40 is pretty nuts, if I had enough to buy a case or 2, I would buy one and open it and save one until Spring Training or mid-summer and flip it.. but idk if that would work great

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
depends on your analysis.

simply based on cost? yes, good deal. direct cost was 560ish

based on 'flip potential NOW' compared to prior years where odds of pulling parallels were better? eh, market's a little flooded + unless you're ripping 10+ cases, it is VERY hard to get 20 ct lots...and w/the LOWER odds of getting 'good parallels' (which balanced out cases in prior years), i'm not as in love w/08 bcdp as prior years

based on 'fun factor' of ripping? yes, good deal. like the inclusion of aflacs.

based on 'overall product quality' compared to prior years (like 2002 when the bulk of the base set was just incredibly loaded- and the xfractors were oh so pretty)? eh

based on 'are there better rip alternatives out there'? eh, depends again on your pov. personally, i think 07 bcdp's a better rip right now.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
rainmanesq said:

based on 'flip potential NOW' compared to prior years where odds of pulling parallels were better? eh, market's a little flooded + unless you're ripping 10+ cases, it is VERY hard to get 20 ct lots...and w/the LOWER odds of getting 'good parallels' (which balanced out cases in prior years), i'm not as in love w/08 bcdp as prior years

based on 'overall product quality' compared to prior years (like 2002 when the bulk of the base set was just incredibly loaded- and the xfractors were oh so pretty)? eh

based on 'are there better rip alternatives out there'? eh, depends again on your pov. personally, i think 07 bcdp's a better rip right now.

I have a tough time comparing 2007 and 2008. They are completely different. 2007 has a loaded base set, but the autographs are FAR from exciting. Where as the Autos in 2008 are stacked, but the base set if pretty weak.

I love the 2007 product, and will likely get more, but right now, i am loving the 2008 autos and the aflacs....

skrip

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
ballerskrip said:
rainmanesq said:

I have a tough time comparing 2007 and 2008. They are completely different. 2007 has a loaded base set, but the autographs are FAR from exciting. Where as the Autos in 2008 are stacked, but the base set if pretty weak.

I love the 2007 product, and will likely get more, but right now, i am loving the 2008 autos and the aflacs....

skrip
that's why i said it depends on your pov (and of course bank acct). if you want quick flipping, 08's the way to go b/c of course people want 'new' products...though to maximize your resale profits, really you need 10+ cases so you can do 20 ct lots/increase your likelihood of getting more parallels. if you're considering other things (like some of what i mentioned) or if you have the willpower to HOLD sealed cases of 07 bcdp, i think 07's the better buy right now as i don't see 07 bcdp staying @ the price levels it is now by the time spring training hits. not sure 08 bcdp will rise say 200+/case by spring training. personally, i'm spreading the loving between 07 bcdp + 08 bcdp.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
rainmanesq said:
ballerskrip said:
rainmanesq said:

skrip
that's why i said it depends on your pov (and of course bank acct). if you want quick flipping, 08's the way to go b/c of course people want 'new' products...though to maximize your resale profits, really you need 10+ cases so you can do 20 ct lots/increase your likelihood of getting more parallels. if you're considering other things (like some of what i mentioned) or if you have the willpower to HOLD sealed cases of 07 bcdp, i think 07's the better buy right now as i don't see 07 bcdp staying @ the price levels it is now by the time spring training hits. not sure 08 bcdp will rise say 200+/case by spring training. personally, i'm spreading the loving between 07 bcdp + 08 bcdp.

I do have some concern about 2007 BCDP because of the decreasing singles prices for the STUDS in the set that have autographs in 2008 bowman w/chrome. Does that worry you at all? If the 207 BCDP paralells of Heyward, Moustakas, Dominguez, Bumgarner, Laporta, Price, etc. keep dipping, and the parallell autos from 2008 keep rising, that could kill 2007 BCDP.

Not saying that will happen, but those autos took off alot more than I thought they would. Personally I would MUCH rather have the 2007 BCDP, but the public seems to be split.

Any thoughts on that? I guess the example that scares me is Dellin Betances and Alex Gordon. Their previous chrome non-autos have REALLY dropped in price while the autos got strong (at points, not necesarily now).

skrip

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
ballerskrip said:
rainmanesq said:
ballerskrip said:
rainmanesq said:

skrip

I do have some concern about 2007 BCDP because of the decreasing singles prices for the STUDS in the set that have autographs in 2008 bowman w/chrome. Does that worry you at all? If the 207 BCDP paralells of Heyward, Moustakas, Dominguez, Bumgarner, Laporta, Price, etc. keep dipping, and the parallell autos from 2008 keep rising, that could kill 2007 BCDP.

Not saying that will happen, but those autos took off alot more than I thought they would. Personally I would MUCH rather have the 2007 BCDP, but the public seems to be split.

Any thoughts on that? I guess the example that scares me is Dellin Betances and Alex Gordon. Their previous chrome non-autos have REALLY dropped in price while the autos got strong (at points, not necesarily now).

skrip

I think it’s too early to tell w/07 bcdp b/c it’s the offseason and nearly everything (w/the exception of say lincecum/longoria/obviously stellar MLB studs from this yr) falls in the offseason. Also, people know 08 bc autos are easier grades than 07 bcdp parallels, so I think that’s why they’re rising. I also think the ‘new product outshines old product’ pattern is @ play here. and of course the economy. There’s also a price drop b/c people may assume (which may not be totally accurate) that 07 bcdp raw cards have been ‘cherry picked’ + thus the hope for 9.5s is slimmer, so they may be spending that $ on 08 bc/bcdp hoping to get some 9.5s.

Really the only concrete ex. you have of ‘impact of autos in other products, incl. 08 bc v. non auto 07 bcdp parallels’ is david price. Price 07 bcdp non auto parallels did VERY well and the $/% return was greater for 07 bcdp price stuff (esp. his blue refs) than 08 bc autos. However, as is the case lately w/prospects, once they get called up, outside of a short window, they fall, as Price has. You have the segment of the pop that wants a prospect’s ‘first card’- which is 07 bcdp in most cases. You also have a gradeability issue- 07 bcdp blue refs + xs are significantly harder to 9.5 than 08 bc autos…which I think will result in higher prices for 07 bcdp blue refs than say a base 08 bc auto. 07 bcdp v. 08 bc is somewhat similar to the 04 ee/sterling/sp prospects/topps chrome traded v. 04 bcdp issue. Not entirely the same, but the reality is when guys got hot (Kendrick, dewitt, bailey, + of course Hughes), pretty much ALL of their cards rose + if you timed it right, you made $. I find I make my greatest % profits on the ‘non exciting’ stuff like refs, xs, + blue refs rather than say a red ref.

Betances + gordon aren’t really totally accurate examples b/c they both had performance + overhyped from day 1 issues. while laporta was of course HOF from day 1 + heyward had HUGE hype, I’m not so sure say bumgarner, lambo, etc. had HUGE expectations from day 1.

only time will tell + i think they're both great products.

Members online

Latest posts