Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mariners just signed Dustin Ackley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_relea...ent_id=6477414&vkey=pr_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

SEATTLE, Wash. -- Seattle Mariners Executive Vice President & General Manager of Baseball Operations Jack Zduriencik and Director of Amateur Scouting Tom McNamara announced tonight that the club has agreed to terms with 1B/OF Dustin Ackley, the club's first selection (2nd overall pick) in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft.
The Mariners have signed Ackley to a five-year, Major League contract. Per club policy, financial terms were not disclosed.

"When we selected Dustin, we knew he was a special player and a special person," Zduriencik said. "We are excited for him to join or organization and can't wait to see him in a Mariners uniform."

Ackley (ACK-lee) became the first three-time All-American in North Carolina history. In 2009, Ackley earned first-team honors from Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association, American Baseball Coaches Association and Rivals.com. He was one of five finalists for the 2009 Golden Spikes Award, presented annually to the College Baseball Player of the Year, and was selected as the Rivals.com National Player of the Year.

Ackley, 21, played primarily first base during his collegiate career after having Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in the summer of 2008. The athletic 6-foot-1, 185-pounder has also played the outfield at UNC. In three seasons in Carolina Blue, Ackley played in 207 consecutive games, and helped lead UNC to a 159-48 record (.768) and three trips to the College World Series.

During his junior season in 2009, Ackley hit .417 (111x266) with 18 doubles, 4 triples, 22 home runs and 73 RBI in 66 games. He was named the ACC Player of the Year and was a consensus first-team All-American.

Ackley needed just three years to ink his name all over the Carolina record book, setting marks for career batting average (.412), hits (346), runs (227) and total bases (544) in only 207 games. He also owns UNC single-season records in at-bats, runs, hits and total bases. Ackley finished his career batting .412 (346x840) with 59 doubles, 11 triples, 39 home runs and 198 RBI. He posted multiple hits in 107 of 207 career games (52%).

Ackley is the first player in the history of the College World Series to be named to the event's All-Tournament Team three times (2008, 2008, 2009) and set the CWS career record with 28 hits (in 15 games). He hit .500 (8x16) with 2 runs and 3 RBI in three games in Omaha this season, and ended his career with a 22-game NCAA Tournament hitting streak (.505/50x99). Overall, Ackley batted .410 (55x134) in 31 career postseason games.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I'll admit, I was getting a little scared.

I am damn glad this got done! Jack NEEDED to get it done!

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Pinbreaker said:
Isn't his agent Scott Boras? I'm sure he was busy as hell these last few days..

I'm glad he signed as well..

Yup. Which is exactly why I think it took so long. Sounds like Boras likes to wait to the last minute on all his guys!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Wonder where he'll be starting off -- AA? That's where Poythress started.

Sly - any predictions?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:

Sly - any predictions?

AA was actually my first thought. But at this point, is there really any reason to send him to AA for two weeks. He hasn't played in almost two months, so I wonder if he's even in shape to jump right in and play.

I would not be surprised if they hold him out and just send him off to some instructional league or just wait until Spring Training.

If they do throw him in somewhere though, I'm thinking AA.

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
Sly said:
Jaypers said:

Sly - any predictions?

AA was actually my first thought. But at this point, is there really any reason to send him to AA for two weeks. He hasn't played in almost two months, so I wonder if he's even in shape to jump right in and play.

I would not be surprised if they hold him out and just send him off to some instructional league or just wait until Spring Training.

He'll actually be here in Phoenix tomorrow for the Arizona League....i'll be there as well, ball & pen in hand!! WOOHOO, sorry but yeah a TON Of the DP's are going to be here

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
bighurtcollector said:
Sly said:
Jaypers said:

Sly - any predictions?

He'll actually be here in Phoenix tomorrow for the Arizona League....i'll be there as well, ball & pen in hand!! WOOHOO, sorry but yeah a TON Of the DP's are going to be here

There are quite a few who had already signed that are alread in Everett or Clinton, but the balance are there in AZ. And I heard today that Jack Z. basically said he'll be in AZ the rest of the year, and that his deal is a Major League deal, so he'll be in Spring Training next year.

If you've got an extra ball on hand, and can score me an auto too...I'll send you a ball back and cover your shipping :) :)

Members online

Latest posts