Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Live BA Draft Chat at 12 EST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I wish I was the one to have asked this question.

JP Riccardi & The Rest of Jays Management (Toronto): We brilliantly saved the club millions by letting Rios walk and even more brilliantly, we didn't bother signing 3 of our top 4 draft picks (they take too long to arrive anyways, whereas we can have money now in our pockets). Please, tell us how amazing our signing decisions were this year - feel free to compliment us on letting Paxton, Eliopoulos and Barrett walk.

Jim Callis: Hmmmm, sarcasm. I haven't talked to the Jays or seen a post-mortem yet, but their draft strategy seemed odd, to say the least. They'll recoup compensation picks for their unsigned sandwich-, second- and third-rounders, but why take that many over-slot guys at the top of the draft if you can't or won't sign them? They did land Jacob Marisnick for $1 million and got a couple of other guys done late, but they let a lot of talent walk away.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Put in two questions. We'll see if they get answered.

I was look at the first round signings on the advanced database....

-The Angels might have gotten the best value overall in the first round. Both Trout & Grichuk signed for under $1.3MM and signed immediately.

-The Cubs also made out like bandits on the value for Brett Jackson -- under $1MM (972K).

Compare those to the rest of the over slot signings and they are amazing values.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I can now confess to being extremely disappointed the Phils didn't sign Jake Stewart (14th).

I would have been all over his cards like white on rice.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Jaypers said:
I can now confess to being extremely disappointed the Phils didn't sign Jake Stewart (14th).

You going to put any money into Zach Wheeler? (Giants have done well with their pitching prospects).

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I'm convinced ownership was behind yesterday's mess for the Jays. The Jays knew bonus demands etc. going in and were on record as stating they were willing to go over slot on upper round talent. I think between draft day and the signing deadline, they had a good chunk of the budget pulled out from under them.

Paxton's the one that really hurts. To be honest, Eliopoulos did nothing for me. I've seen him pitch and he was completely underwhelming. While I would have welcomed a signing with the hopes improvement, I was kinda thinking letting him go would be the best route. Barrett was a 'meh' kinda guy to me, too but I was hoping they'd ink him. But Paxton hurts. A Canadian kid with a 97 MPH fastball. He coulda been fun to watch.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
darocker80 said:
Jaypers said:

You going to put any money into Zach Wheeler? (Giants have done well with their pitching prospects).

The question you should be asking is, will Wossa? My wallet is microscopic compared to his.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Jaypers said:
darocker80 said:
Jaypers said:

The question you should be asking is, will Wossa? My wallet is microscopic compared to his.
Yet again, i hope to score big and get a huge superfractor and ask him to trade his super lincy lol (probably won't happen :()

Members online

Latest posts