Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Draft day deals, or were they???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I was watching Sportscenter late last night and heard something interesting from him.

He states that most of the delas that "got done" yesterday were actually locked up days ago, icluding Turner and Wheeler.

He also stated that MLB didn't want the above slot bonuses getting out to the public and other teams.

So Selig is trying to keep the signing bonus information quiet to help keep bonuses down?

That is VERY interesting!!!

Skrip

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This isn't a new occurrance, as far as I know. I've heard this sort of thing happening in previous years as well. They do it to avoid affecting other players' bonuses. It's no surprise that Minor's signing made it harder for Cleveland to sign White and for Cincy to sign Leake than originally thought.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
This isn't anything new, actually. Jacob Marisnick wrote on Twitter days after the draft that the Jays had met his asking price yet his deal was announced last night.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
braden said:
Jacob Marisnick wrote on Twitter days after the draft that the Jays had met his asking price yet his deal was announced last night.

No surprise there, either. He got $1M, when slot was $309,600.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
One of the dumbest secrets ever since agents talk to eachother as well as teams...

It's also very counterproductive for both players and teams. Players lose out on two or more months of development and teams lose out on the ability to evaluate their players and see where they belong for the following year.

But the MLB draft has always been a joke compared to the other three major north american team sports. And I don't see them getting things right any time soon.

Members online

Latest posts