Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

S.I. The Last Iconic Baseball Card: '89 UD Griffey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Anyone read this yet? I just got the new issue.....
I knew the hobby was in trouble, but this article makes me see the hobby as broken as I am cash broke.

I don't think it's the last iconic card though... sure, The '89 UD Griffey was the ONLY RC until traded and update issues were released...and it is a Beautiful card.... I have to say that even though Pujols had 40+ RC's.... the BC Auto might be the "last iconic" card for most of us.

It's a good article...takes me back a bit, but they also manage to complain about Topps new exclusive MLB deal... but heck, considering the numbers stated in the story...seems like it's time to strap down.

anyway...it's online as well:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
sigriff.png

tedwilliamsfan

Nov 4, 2008
I agree, it's not the last iconic card we'll see, as the Pujols BC Auto is definitely a modern day iconic card. I'm sure we'll see iconic cards in the future as well, as more generations play.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
beefycheddar said:
Griffey had fleer and Donruss RC's that were out the same time too.

Yeah, but if you were collecting then, the U.D. was the one to get. I remember people standing in line and beetching about paying $1.25 (.25 more than SRP, lol!) just at a shot at the Griffey. You kinda make clear my point about the article.... seemed a little aimed at MLB for not renewing UD's license. I almost forgot about Fleed and Donruss too, but they came later than UD. I think all of Jr.'s '89 issues are good looking cards, but the U.D. is the must have.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
One issue for the Pujols being "iconic" is he will never attain the popularity of Griffey, plus how many cards did Topps make and use the same picture as the Chrome.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
I remember as a kid, we all really liked that Griffeys UD RC had our hometowns name on the back of it "Calgary", we where so psyched that he would be playing AAA here, but never did, went right to the majors.

As far as Iconic cards, i bet if Strasburg orHarper make it big, they will have a pretty iconic RC as well.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
beefycheddar said:
One issue for the Pujols being "iconic" is he will never attain the popularity of Griffey, plus how many cards did Topps make and use the same picture as the Chrome.

I might disagree with that. I'd say he's at least as popular as Griffey ever was, especially with collectors... add another year or two... and records start shattering... plus he seems to knock at the triple crown a bit...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
beefycheddar said:
One issue for the Pujols being "iconic" is he will never attain the popularity of Griffey...

Rob, I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this.

Case in point: I live in a city that is ruled mostly by Cubs fans, and everyone here respects and admires everything about Pujols.

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
MattinglyAlexander said:
beefycheddar said:

I might disagree with that. I'd say he's at least as popular as Griffey ever was, especially with collectors... add another year or two... and records start shattering... plus he seems to knock at the triple crown a bit...

Way to make me depressed. Good read. As for Pujols I think he has a long ways to go before he is as popular as Griffey. Everyone knows Griffey that can't be said for Pujols. Griffey was one of Nikes first baseball endorsements he had his own video game before players got video games. I mean Pujols is great, but mainstream popularity I don't think he is on the same level as Griffey was at his height.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Maybe the last iconic baseball card in that specific writer's lifetime.

As long as they make baseball cards, there will be more and more iconic ones.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Jaypers said:
beefycheddar said:
One issue for the Pujols being "iconic" is he will never attain the popularity of Griffey...

Case in point: I live in a city that is ruled mostly by Cubs fans, and everyone here respects and admires everything about Pujols.

Pujols is respected by baseball fans, but Griffey transcended baseball with his personality. I agree with beefy.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The title would indicate a story about 'Iconic Baseball Cards,' whatever that means. And I'd say that there have been plenty of 'iconic' cards since 1989. It may depend on your definition of 'iconic,' and to me, that means a card that most every collector will seek out and keep in that special place in his collection, regardless of value. Off the top of my head I'd say 1990 Score Bo Jackson B&W, 1991 Score Dream Team Jose Canseco, 1991 Stadium Club Nolan Ryan, and 1991 Topps Carlton Fisk are 'iconic' purely by definition of the images shown. If you want key rookies, Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas, Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, and Albert Pujols are all just as luminous. Newer players like Justin Upton, David Wright, Joe Mauer, and Ryan Howard are getting there. Niche cards like Hideo Nomo and Chan Ho Park have international appeal. And then there are things like autographed and game-used cards. Is the 1997 UD Game Jersey set not iconic, especially the Griffey? And the UD Piece of History 500 HR series? Obviously, it's all subjective and ultimately meaningless, but I think the author and/or editor might be a bit disingenuous with that title.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Jaypers said:
beefycheddar said:

One anecdote does not make a case in point. Nobody cares about Pujols out here the same way people do/did about Griffey. Pujols doesn't have the same electricity to her personality and his game that Griffey did in Seattle.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
LLWesMan said:
Jaypers said:
beefycheddar said:

One anecdote does not make a case in point. Nobody cares about Pujols out here the same way people do/did about Griffey. Pujols doesn't have the same electricity to her personality and his game that Griffey did in Seattle.

All right then, I'll add another: his charity work.

http://www.pujolsfamilyfoundation.org/

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
MattinglyAlexander said:
beefycheddar said:
Griffey had fleer and Donruss RC's that were out the same time too.

Yeah, but if you were collecting then, the U.D. was the one to get. I remember people standing in line and beetching about paying $1.25 (.25 more than SRP, lol!) just at a shot at the Griffey. You kinda make clear my point about the article.... seemed a little aimed at MLB for not renewing UD's license. I almost forgot about Fleed and Donruss too, but they came later than UD. I think all of Jr.'s '89 issues are good looking cards, but the U.D. is the must have.

You sure? Fleer started printing in late 88, cards snuck into shows then and hit stores Jan 1. I think the earliest that was allowed.

I also remember UD packs. I kinda griped too about the price. :)

One big dealer (still around, selling at the National this year) told me UD errors in 89 were intentional after the FF hype. He stated that a UD rep gave him some to spread around at a show. That's unsubstantiated though.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Back in 1989, collectors still had faith in base cards. You never saw collectors busting wax, picking out one card, and dumping the rest in the trash. Griffey's 89 rookie is iconic because the average collector had access to it, Griffey was the hottest player on the planet, and UD was the hot new company featuring glossy cards and premium photography that dwarfed anything else then available. It being a base card, it was readily available if you wanted to pay for it.

I feel a limited parallel like the Pujols auto rookie or whatever hot Bowman Chrome stud of tomorrow delivers just won't ever feel as "iconic" as the Griffey rookie because of its scarcity. Collectors can relate to the Griffey because at one time or another most of them owned it or at least saw it in their hobby shop or friend's collection. That's not the case with Chrome autos and refractors. Familiarity breeds iconic stature. We held that card in our hands, admired the million dollar smile, and loved the way Griffey smacked the ball and chased down long fly balls.

I haven't read the article yet, but I think I agree with the author. The 89 Griffey is the last iconic RC.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Did anyone one else go nuts stocking up on the Jerome Walton UD or the Ricky Jordans, I sure did. Prospecting in its infancy.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
^^^
What really makes me depressed... is that we've all know for years it's not a hobby for kids anymore...except spoiled brats just so they can make Youtube videos and sling the card on ebay, lol. What's worse is that it's not a HOBBY for most adults anymore...reminds me of "flip my house" buyers. I'm seriously standing with one foot out the door. I can't really afford to collect my favorite modern (recent) player (Uggla)...sure can't afford things I don't have of my all time favorite (Mattingly). I actually noticed I could better afford vintage of players I liked... but I'm starting to realize I just really can't afford the hobby anymore. I surely have OCD with cards.... if I were loaded...heck, if I didn't have a house payment.... I'd be fine.... but alas, real life.
That's what happens when you actually try in life... if I just sat around and did nothing, someone would hand me some Baseball Card Welfare.
So yeah...the article has me in a "poor me" mood as well. :lol:

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Yep. Then Eric Anthony and Ben McDonald. ::facepalm::

Started to read the SI article- agosto 24, 2009 Huh? Spanish and the future?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Sweetness said:
Did anyone one else go nuts stocking up on the Jerome Walton UD or the Ricky Jordans, I sure did. Prospecting in its infancy.

I was more into Delino Desheilds and Kevin Appier :)

Members online

Latest posts