Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why does Joe Mauer suddenly have so much homer run power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why is Joe Mauer suddenly an explosive power hitter?
I'm not suggesting PEDs, but his home run total this year is ridiculous.
His previous high in homers is 13.
I'd expect for his homers to rise and his batting average to shrink, but he's hitting .383.

Here are his homers year by year:

2005 - 9
2006 - 13
2007 - 7
2008 - 9
2009 - 25 (in only 94 games)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
cgilmo said:
power comes with the ability to recognize pitches, and not miss mistakes
it isn't as much a physical attribute as we all like to think it is
He's never had trouble recognizing pitches before.
Mauer's won two batting titles.
He's so big, I always wondered why he didn't hit more homers before.
I guess he finally perfected his swing.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
It was always suggested that Mauer would eventually hit a lot of homers. He is 6'5 and strong and probably has the best swing in baseball outside of Junior.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Torii Hunter said a couple years ago on Rome that Mauer would mash once he got his 'man muscles'. One of the funniest lines and one I'll never forget. Looks like Torii was correct.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Austin said:
cgilmo said:
power comes with the ability to recognize pitches, and not miss mistakes
it isn't as much a physical attribute as we all like to think it is
He's never had trouble recognizing pitches before.
He's won two batting titles.

Different types of recognition. Hitting whats thrown for a single is largely due to reflex, hitting the ball out of the ball park is often due to hammering a mistake, or knowing whats coming.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
AKA Coastal said:
Lots of doubles in the years before with the high average. The HR's would eventually come.

Exactly. All those doubles that were driven into the gaps are now HRs in the first 5 rows. Check out his spray chart. He might lead the league in opposite field HRs.

Alex

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
+1, though maybe the power is a fluke this year.

rico08 said:
He's 26 with a great swing. This is the type of player we expect to emerge after being labeled a "top prospect."

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
AKA Coastal said:
Lots of doubles in the years before with the high average. The HR's would eventually come.

I remember back in the 80s when everyone said the same thing about Gregg Jefferies and his doubles. Everyone thought the power would come, and he would be hitting 30 HRs a year in no time. The doubles kept coming, but the HRs never did.

This could be a one year thing too. Wade Boggs had previously never hit more than 8 in a season when he clubbed 24 in 1987. He hit 11 in 1994, but never hit more than 8 in any other season.

d

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Maybe it also has to do with the particular player - it is easier in general to predict someone like Joe Mauer doing the things he is doing now, as opposed to a player who maybe 5'7'' and 180 pounds.

leatherman said:
AKA Coastal said:

I remember back in the 80s when everyone said the same thing about Gregg Jefferies and his doubles. Everyone thought the power would come, and he would be hitting 30 HRs a year in no time. The doubles kept coming, but the HRs never did.

This could be a one year thing too. Wade Boggs had previously never hit more than 8 in a season when he clubbed 24 in 1987. He hit 11 in 1994, but never hit more than 8 in any other season.

d

i was watching a twins game back in june, and the twins broadcasters were talking about how in the off season mauer tweaked his swing. He tried to open up his hips more instead of just trying to spray it in left. He already had great hitting mechanics, so i guess all he could do is just make it even better.

Members online