Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Two Jim Rice Topps Originals 1/1's??? Something is fishy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Probably the most prized possession in my Jim Rice collection is this:

75jimed.jpg

Then I see this listed this morning:

Rice 1/1

I have over 200 certified Rice auto's and I have to say that the one on eBay right now isn't close.

Do you think that Topps would have a record of the card based on the serial # on the back?

I know this possibility has always existed but I have never seen it with a Rice card before.

Thoughts?

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
99.9% sure that Rice Topps Original on ebay is faked.

However, I do want to add this.....and I believe it was on this very board that someone pulled a sweet spot Jim Rice Autograph that the AUTO looked almost exact to the ebay Topps Originals AUTO----so it could be POSSIBLE that a secretary or assistant sometimes signs for Jim Rice...

TK

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Look at the completed auctions for this seller. These all look fake to me.

!BYP0cB!Bmk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl4NtwBKgflt)D0w~~_12.jpg

++!B)2,!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKgfq4of5g~~_12.jpg

!BYP2ddwBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EMEjlLlt44QBKgfwZhUHQ~~_12.jpg

!BYP9+4wB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl5L7,BKggY5!m5Q~~_12.jpg

!BYvpj6wCGk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl2qfnBKjKl10rS!~~_12.jpg

!BYvrU8wBWk~$(KGrHgoH-DgEjlLlgJ6SBKjKu!C8gw~~_12.jpg

!BYvm8hQBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlypo6BKjKZg5)Gg~~_12.jpg

IMO, these buybacks are one of the biggest mistakes Topps has ever made.

Sad thing is, the completed ones all sold for $100's

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
There have been a TON of originals listed within the last couple months. I just assumed the fake patch card makers have moved into this.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
This really is sad. Guys like the OP are going to get screwed because these cards can't be trusted anymore. I
would now never buy a buy back auto and never trust one. Topps and UD did a poor job on certification.

Kevin

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
schmidtfan20 said:
This really is sad. Guys like the OP are going to get screwed because these cards can't be trusted anymore. I
would now never buy a buy back auto and never trust one. Topps and UD did a poor job on certification.

Kevin

Kevin,

For the most part I agree with you---but I do have to say Upper Deck did a GOOD job on identifying the Griffey 89 UD AUTO buyback and the Jeter 93 UD AUTO Buyback...

TK

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Topps Originals is officially dead...and all people considering these cards should move on.

Until the companies can come up with a better solution, all buyback concepts should be shelved.

It's turned into a complete joke...and I'm glad I moved all of my UD and Originals buybacks over a year ago.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

Kevin,

For the most part I agree with you---but I do have to say Upper Deck did a GOOD job on identifying the Griffey 89 UD AUTO buyback and the Jeter 93 UD AUTO Buyback...

TK

It seems like the Griffey buy back is one of the most forged cards out there. It basically is an 89 UD card
with a seperate by back certificate right? That doesn't sound like a good job to me.

Kevin

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Embossing the cards like Donruss did with the Recollection Collection cards would really help.

Alex

A_Pharis

Umm... the Bonds is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

The Aaron is HORRIBLE...

And did this guy REALLY think that Kobe would sign over his own face? yeah, right. Reported. Look through his completed auctions and see if you can make iut any of the autograph stickers on the backs of the cards he bought (if any have the back scanned). Then see if you can match them up to any that he is selling.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Seems that is the game he is playing. He is buying the legit ones (Bonds, Jeter, Ripken etc) keeping those and then forging another card and using the Certificate w/HOLO from the card he won to go with the card he forged....

The Topps Originals he is just buying crappy ones and removing the sticker and reusing the cases with his faked copies and putting the stickers on them--he has a Bowman Originals Pujols 1/1 auto that is fake that just sold not that long ago.

100% feedback too....

TK

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Seems that is the game he is playing. He is buying the legit ones (Bonds, Jeter, Ripken etc) keeping those and then forging another card and using the Certificate w/HOLO from the card he won to go with the card he forged....

The Topps Originals he is just buying crappy ones and removing the sticker and reusing the cases with his faked copies and putting the stickers on them--he has a Bowman Originals Pujols 1/1 auto that is fake that just sold not that long ago.

100% feedback too....

TK
Lot of ignorant/uninformed buyers out there, which is why there's a market for this crap :evil:

Members online

Latest posts