Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jim Rice rips Jeter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. — Jim Rice’s advice to Little Leaguers: Don’t use today’s major-leaguers as role models.

Speaking to players before the start of the Little League World Series, the new baseball Hall of Famer said today’s major-leaguers are too focused on individual goals and getting big contracts.

“You see a Manny Ramirez, you see an A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez), you see (Derek) Jeter ... Guys that I played against and with, these guys you’re talking about cannot compare,” Rice said to Little Leaguers gathered in the cafeteria.

The former Red Sox outfielder played 16 seasons in Boston, batting .298 with 382 homers before retiring in 1989.

“We didn’t have the baggy uniforms. We didn’t have the dreadlocks,” Rice said. “It was a clean game, and now they’re setting a bad example for the young guys.”

Asked later at a news conference to list current players worthy of the Hall, Rice suggested Seattle Mariner outfielders Ichiro Suzuki and Ken Griffey, Jr., and Chicago White Sox slugger Jim Thome.

He said he believes current Hall of Famers who did not cheat don’t want players who took performance-enhancing drugs to join them in the Hall.

Flexing the muscles in his right arm, Rice said, “That’s all the steroids you need. ... It’s called God-given talent.”

Rice’s talk to Little Leaguers was part of his first trip to Williamsport since playing minor-league baseball in the central Pennsylvania city in 1971.

He urged players to have respect for their coaches, teammates and parents, and to concentrate on improving the weakest part of their game. Rice said he had to put in extra work to improve his fielding.

Rice’s appearance was part of a promotion by Allstate Insurance Co. He got a standing ovation from players and coaches, though some of the 11- to 13-year-old players were yawning or had their heads in their arms on the table about 15 minutes into the talk.
http://www.lohud.com/article/20090821/SPORTS01/90821028

Jeter doesn't compare to any of the players that he played with and against?

Asked later at a news conference to list current players worthy of the Hall, Rice suggested ... Chicago White Sox slugger Jim Thome.

Rice thinks you should try to be like Thome, who has struck out in nearly 30% of his atbats, has a carrer .278 average, and swings for the fences.
Why not try to be like Jeter, who strikes out nearly half as much as Thome, has a career .317 average, and hits to opposite field.

Jeter has already had twice the carrer that Rice had, and Jeter isn't done yet. It won't take Jeter 15 years for the voters to let him in because it is his last chance. Jeter will be a first ballot HOFer, why wouldn't you want to idolize him?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Tomlinson21RB said:
Don't get your ******* in a bunch. Most people know Jim Rice isn't all that intelligent.

Yes, but he is telling this to 12 and 13 year olds that want to play proffesional baseball players.

Why is the idiot telling the kids to not play like a sure-fire hall of famer?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Thread within a thread: vwnut13 rips Jim Thome?

You really think Rice was referring to the quality of the players games? He broght up contracts, baggy uniforms and dreadlocks. Does Jeter belong in that discussion, no, but I guess that's how overrated he is. ;) The incorrect way to respond to this supposed slight is to criticize one of the most well-liked and respected players in the game.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Don't get your ******* in a bunch. Most people know Jim Rice isn't all that intelligent.

Yes, but he is telling this to 12 and 13 year olds that want to play proffesional baseball players.

I think he was saying have the attitude of Thome rather than A-Rod, Bonds, Manny and Jeter (all of whome are self absorbed players, Jeter being on the lower end of it).

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
vwnut13 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

Don't know, why don't you go find Jim Rice and ask him? Then please go away.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
This was a STUPID thing to say. Say what you will about Manny and Rodriguez, but he was dead wrong to put Jeter in the same sentence. Jeter plays the game right and has never done anything to show otherwise. Jeter is one of the BEST role models in the game of baseball, and HIS name is brought up??? Derek Jeter>Jim Rice

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
This was a STUPID thing to say. Say what you will about Manny and Rodriguez, but he was dead wrong to put Jeter in the same sentence. Jeter plays the game right and has never done anything to show otherwise. Jeter is one of the BEST role models in the game of baseball, and HIS name is brought up??? Derek Jeter>Jim Rice

+ infinity

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Most people won't believe I say this but Jim Rice can't carry Jeters jock when it comes to how Ballplayers should carry themselves. Jeter is a class act and Rice skipped what was to be the last game of his career and Jim Rice and Bob Stanley day at Fenway in 1988.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Rice is about the 10,000th MLBer, and 75 billionth human, to think that things were better back in his day. Most of his statements are subjective and therefore not incontrovertibly correct or incorrect, his attitude seems to be one that, at the core, says the player should be subservient to the game. While that is true to some level, it also ignores a lot of the, shall we say, self-expression that was going on in the 70s and 80s. Like Bill Burr says, you think being hopped up on coke and speed didn't help you see the ball better?

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
"It was a clean game." That's laughable. Any number of guys popping greenies and doing coke. Yeah, it was clean alright.

Alex

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
jim rice is a jerk plain and simple. he's from anderson, sc where i live and every one here talks about him being an idiot as well. he's just bitter because he had a slightly above average career and wasn't voted in to the hall until the last year eligible.

yakacack

Apr 13, 2009
Tampa, FL
Brett Keith said:

You really think Rice was referring to the quality of the players games? He broght up contracts, baggy uniforms and dreadlocks. Does Jeter belong in that discussion, no, but I guess that's how overrated he is. ;) The incorrect way to respond to this supposed slight is to criticize one of the most well-liked and respected players in the game.

Thank you for posting this.

I dont see how vwnut13 attempting to tear down what Thome has done in his career is any different...Rice says something negative you dont like about a player => say something negative about player also mentioned. You should win awards with that thought process vwnut!

Agree or dont agree with what was said, but youve only made yourself look foolish with the rest of your post.

porcello94

Aug 9, 2009
Wait a sec. Coming from a man who's numbers are, well, great at best. Hall of fame numbers? No. I don't know where he gets off saying that.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

If Rice retired in 1989 and Jeter, Manny and Arod started playing in the early 90's, at what point in time did he play with or against them?

Additionally, I guess Babe Ruth was a thug. He wore his uniform pants baggy too. If fact all of the players of that era must have been thugs as that's how they wore their uniform.

Rice = Idiot.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
yakacack said:
Brett Keith said:

Thank you for posting this.

I dont see how vwnut13 attempting to tear down what Thome has done in his career is any different...Rice says something negative you dont like about a player => say something negative about player also mentioned. You should win awards with that thought process vwnut!

Agree or dont agree with what was said, but youve only made yourself look foolish with the rest of your post.

I wasn't saying that Thome, has had a crappy carrer or that he is a crappy player. In fact, his carrer has been much better then Rices.

I was just comparing Jeter to Thome to emphasize how stupid Rice is. He thinks 12 year olds should aim to be power hitters, almost all of which strike out a lot, and don't hit for great average.

Would you rather your son that wants to play in the MLB to try to and the ball out of the park every at bat, or would you rather they get on base, steal, and hit for average?

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
MLB Quick Pitch asked Dave Winfield why everybody likes Derek Jeter. His response was that Jeter plays the game the way it supposed to be played, and he never says a bad word about anyone.

Maybe Rice should take some lessons from him.

Members online

Latest posts