Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Players you Wish had More/Better Rookie Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
I wish Adam Wainwright had some better RC stuff. All he has are Bowman Draft and Bowman Chrome Draft. At least Sizemore and Adrian Gonzalez were included in the Autograph Set from that year. Who are some other players that don't have a very good offering of RC stuff?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Matt Sulentic.

Has only one true first-year card: 2006 Bowman Heritage, and it's not even a SP.

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
Kirby Puckett
Roidger Clemens
Barry Larkin
John Smoltz
Pedro Martinez
Johnny Damon
Paul Konerko
Jason Schmidt
Sean Casey

Those are some guys I can think of that have only one "true" rookie card. This doesn't even include team USA rookies (McGwire, Giambi, etc) or oddball stuff like 1990 Classic Chipper Jones.

yanxyanx

Sep 13, 2008
Riverdale, NY
I realize Jeter has more than enough rookie cards, but I wish Fleer had made his rookies back in 1993. Would have been great to see 1993 Ultra Jeter and 1993 Flair Jeter.

The Ultra design from that year is great, would look similar to the card below (except Jeter would be about 10 years younger)

jeterlegacyauto.jpg

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Brian McCann and Tommy Hanson. I backed the wrong horse both times (Francoeur over McCann, Jeff Locke over Hanson). ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

dooly

Feb 9, 2009
i'm hoping that brett cecil gets a autograph release in his jays uniform...the only autos he has are from eee, tristar and just

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
yanxyanx said:
I realize Jeter has more than enough rookie cards, but I wish Fleer had made his rookies back in 1993. Would have been great to see 1993 Ultra Jeter and 1993 Flair Jeter.

The Ultra design from that year is great, would look similar to the card below (except Jeter would be about 10 years younger)

jeterlegacyauto.jpg

I wish Jeter had a 1993 Finest Refractor.

12486701.jpg

Wait a minute..... :lol: :twisted:

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
It's been almost a full 5 years and I still can't decide if I'm glad Tulo only has BDP, Bowman Stelring, and Topps Rookie Cup or if I wished he was in Topps Update.

I think I'll always be happy that there is only 1 Superfractor RC of him and that I own it.

Actually, Wainwright would be at the top of my list as well.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I wish Pete Rose (and other muli-player rookies) had their own rookies (eg, nolan, bench,seaver,carew,morgan,etc..)

rosenew1.jpg

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
In a few years when players only have a bowman chrome make it to the majors. I liked it when sets like Topps Cracker Jack or Turkey Red had true rookies. We are lacking variety in todays market I feel like. Why doesn't topps put out prospect insert sets in other set other than the bowman lines?

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Codasco07 said:
I wish Adam Wainwright had some better RC stuff. All he has are Bowman Draft and Bowman Chrome Draft. At least Sizemore and Adrian Gonzalez were included in the Autograph Set from that year. Who are some other players that don't have a very good offering of RC stuff?

Wainwright also has Topps Traded & Topps Chrome Traded, not that it solves you autograph problem.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Actually, I find myself wishing current players had fewer. Having 40 RCs over 20 brands with umphundred parallels and inserts is not fun to me. Have that many cards from year 2-on, but at the moment I miss the pre-81 days. I wasn't prospecting at the time, but imagine how torqued up the collector community was over the summer of '76 waiting for Mark Fidrych's RC. I can't even remember the last player who tore things up in the bigs and had no cards. Maybe Erubiel Durazo, but that was the definition of a flash-in-the-pan. Elijah Dukes and Ian Stewart had a lot of people waiting for cards, but the bloom was off their roses by the time they got to the majors.

Oh, and pre-WWII players. There should've been Goudey-style sets in the teens and 20s. Even a "real" 1914 or 1915 Ruth rookie would be incredible.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Jeff N. said:
Chase Utley has only the 2001 Topps Heritage (black and white) and 2001 Bowman Draft.

He was the one that came to mind for me too, and I'm a Mets fan.

smapdi said:
Actually, I find myself wishing current players had fewer. Having 40 RCs over 20 brands with umphundred parallels and inserts is not fun to me. Have that many cards from year 2-on, but at the moment I miss the pre-81 days. I wasn't prospecting at the time, but imagine how torqued up the collector community was over the summer of '76 waiting for Mark Fidrych's RC. I can't even remember the last player who tore things up in the bigs and had no cards. Maybe Erubiel Durazo, but that was the definition of a flash-in-the-pan. Elijah Dukes and Ian Stewart had a lot of people waiting for cards, but the bloom was off their roses by the time they got to the majors.

Oh, and pre-WWII players. There should've been Goudey-style sets in the teens and 20s. Even a "real" 1914 or 1915 Ruth rookie would be incredible.

HUUUUGE +1; I liked collecting in the mid-90's when it was conceivable that you could own a copy of every major star's RC. Now it's impossible, and there is rarely a consensus as to what the rookie card of a given player should be. For example, back in the day, if I liked Mike Piazza and wanted his rookie card, I go out and get a 92 Bowman or 92 Fleer Update. No confusion, won't break the bank. Nowadays, even collecting Will Venable gets incredibly expensive and it's virtually impossible to get everything produced.

Members online

Latest posts