Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

what was your dumbest, or most outragesous, buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
anything- can be sports memorabilia or cards

1. one of the first few games of the 2006 season, the White sox had a replica WS ring stadium give away. i bought wayyyy too early on ebay for about $150. now they can be had for $30 or so. ::facepalm:: (outrageous)

2. $250 on a matt long superfractor auto. sold for about $90 (dumb)

3. mark buehrle's perfect game cost me near $500... $50 on a ticket stub, $100 on a dewyane wise catch signed photo, $220 on a buehrle signed photo, and then about $100 to get the stuff framed. (outrageous)

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
justinmandawg said:
8 gordon gold ref autos. Could have bought my car (09 kia) w/ that money.

8 of them? :eek: What was the average you paid and how much did you lose?

My worst investment in cards was a Basketball rookie a few years ago, Shaun Livingston. Sunk almost $4k into him, still have most of the stuff.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
Buying a case of 1986 Donruss highlights sets in 1986. . . Something like $600, I think.

Learned some valuable lessons. Even though I was a teenager then:

1) Do your OWN homework

2) Don't be talked into something

3) Just because you have the funds doesn't mean you need to spend

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
i think about the time mcgwire hit his 70th homer i paid almost 300 for an ungraded 85 rookie.
uggh.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
A certain Red Refractor 1/1 from the 2004 Bowman Draft Picks product.

For $850.

Ugh.

::facepalm::

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Investing in Brad Hand. I had a gut feeling about the guy and I was wrong. I was looking to make a quick flip if he had some solid games early on in the season, but he bombed right away. Spent over $1500 and recouped a fair amount, but nothing close to that.

Hopefully the kid is turning it around though. In his last three starts he has posted a 1.07 ERA, 18 Strikeouts in 16.1 Innings with 2 walks.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
The list is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too long.

No particular card I can remember but I vividly remember staying up all hours of the night buying just about everything in sight when I first got the internet. It seemed like baseball card shop heaven. All the cards I always wanted for my collection and couldn't find in my local shop now could be had all the time. I know I spent too much for just about everything. Damn ebay!!!!!!!

Buying $100+ packs was pretty stupid. I just knew I was going to pull a Ruth cut auto and not that Rollie Fingers jersey.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Favre insert and rookies at stupid BINs and Robin Yount GU'd at stupid BIN.

I can clearly remember thinking "Wow, this books for $15 and I'm getting it for $5.99, not including S/H! I'm a genius! I'm surprised there's so much of this stuff out there. I must be the only genius taking full advantage!"

This was in early 2005 after I got back from deployment and started collecting again. I knew roughly squat about online card dealings.

Not that my previous venture was any better. In 2000 I think I was hit with a bout of depression. I was staying up all night, sleeping in, not going to college classes. My therapy? These AWESOME deals on this thing called the Shop At Home Network. **** did that line of credit haunt me. I bet I speant close to $1,000 I didn't have on some real **** buys.

I like to, in my head, go back in time with the knowledge i have now. I could still spend all that money, but I'd be making a killing on smart buys. Josh Hamilton when he was cheap; Yovani Gallardo and Ryan Braun instead of Rickie Weeks in 2005. Oh what could have been.

Latest posts