Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ouch! Someone just spent $800 on this Ripken patch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Who are these people that keep buying the fake patches for hundreds of dollars? I rarely see them resurface, so are there a few collectors out there who keep buying these and never join a message board or post them online?

Part of the fun in collecting cards as a kid was getting together with friends and trading with each other. Now that most collectors do that online, message boards have taken over where we show off our collections. I like showing off my patches, but it's just as fun for me reading about a player collector finally finding a $2 parallel card from 2002 or some random Pizza Hut giveaway card.

2008 Ripken Sterling Patch
Other cards sold by cardboardgems1

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Sadly I am the Owner of the Yang WBC patch and was almost the owner of that Ripken Bird head till I saw someone post that he may be selling fakes ( It might have been you?). The Yang Looks good in hand and there is nothing I could do about it now even if I was 100% sure it was fake. I just dont bid on the guys things anymore. As for the Ripken had it been any other seller without a reputation for selling fakes I may have been inclined to think the Patch was real as those patches were used in 84. Yes there are still plenty of people who just buy and neither frequent a message board or post their collection. You would think that they would know but it is more complicated than that as I think people take it for Granted that ebay will not allow people to sell fakes as I know they really crack down on Fake Handbags and Jewlery but when it comes to cards I guess they turn a blind eye ::facepalm:: . 800.00 doesnt hurt very much if you dont know.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Well, it is a 1/1 ....not that i'm saying it's promised to be real but how do we know for certain that it's a fake?

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-1-OF-1-2008-U...ards?hash=item48374317b7&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Wasn't this card owned by a board member, sold to another board member and then sold to a third party?
Im not sure but I do know that Premier made 2 version of the MLB logo patches on most players. Kinda like a batting version (Were the guy is pictured with a bat or batting) and a Fielding/Running version (Were the Player looks like he is fielding or running), both numbered 1/1. I think V-mart had 2 version so this could be the opposite version from what was sold by the board member.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Vagrant said:
Well, it is a 1/1 ....not that i'm saying it's promised to be real but how do we know for certain that it's a fake?
Yea thats the thing, even if its not 100% sure that it is fake, its that the seller has a pattern of selling Fake autos and Patches. The thing is he is probably selling some patches that are real and some that are Fake (Same with the autos) and just mixing it up to keep the suspicious unsure and those that do not know from becoming suspicious. The Patch game gets tougher and tougher each year and really only stuff like letters and MLB logos can you be sure that it is real. The rest you have to just do you homework and even then its sometimes tough. To be a patch collector you have to just eliminate the obvious and go from there. As much as there are Fakes there are still plenty of real sick patches, you just got to work a little harder to be sure.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
mlbsalltimegreats said:
Vagrant said:
Yea thats the thing, even if its not 100% sure that it is fake, its that the seller has a pattern of selling Fake autos and Patches. The thing is he is probably selling some patches that are real and some that are Fake (Same with the autos) and just mixing it up to keep the suspicious unsure and those that do not know from becoming suspicious. The Patch game gets tougher and tougher each year and really only stuff like letters and MLB logos can you be sure that it is real. The rest you have to just do you homework and even then its sometimes tough. To be a patch collector you have to just eliminate the obvious and go from there. As much as there are Fakes there are still plenty of real sick patches, you just got to work a little harder to be sure.

Well said. I'm sure I've passed on some nice logo patches that were real, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and own a couple of cards that I paid hundreds of dollars for even though the patch is a cheap souvenir patch.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
yeah I sold it to the national to a dealer like 4 tables down from where Burge was seated.......guess that entire row just flipped cards back and forth......

Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. At the price he has it listed at after fees etc, he really isnt making much on the card from what I sold it, so I am not sure what is going on, unless he bought a BIG LOT from the guy I sold it too.

TK

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
You should be commended for the time and effort you put into tracking these guys. I have a question. How are or what are they doing with those topps football premiere autos?
You have been thanked.

mrwhitesox30 said:
Who are these people that keep buying the fake patches for hundreds of dollars? I rarely see them resurface, so are there a few collectors out there who keep buying these and never join a message board or post them online?

Part of the fun in collecting cards as a kid was getting together with friends and trading with each other. Now that most collectors do that online, message boards have taken over where we show off our collections. I like showing off my patches, but it's just as fun for me reading about a player collector finally finding a $2 parallel card from 2002 or some random Pizza Hut giveaway card.

2008 Ripken Sterling Patch
Other cards sold by cardboardgems1

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The people selling the cards a con artists and the people buying them are morons.

Often times...these types of people get along well. Every con needs a goat...

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
The people selling the cards a con artists and the people buying them are morons.

Often times...these types of people get along well. Every con needs a goat...
still, no one deserves to be taken advantage of

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Topps really could care less about fakes, it doesn't affect their bottom line at all. Maybe that is the
reason they don't make a whole lot of patches, and when they do, and try to prevent tampering,
(like 09-10 basketball), they get flamed for the design.

I'm not an expert on card making,but how hard is it to glue in these patches so that removing them
destroys the card?

Kevin

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
A_Pharis said:
When is someone going to take the photobucket of before and afters and call topps?

Just call them and ask to speak to a CS manager. Get a name, and just INSIST on knowing why Burge hasn't at least been investigated.

With a few exceptions, there's no concrete proof that would hold up in court. Counterfeiters aren't idiots, otherwise they'd be caught much quicker. You can never know what the before card will be, as you can have multiple ID's and have one account for buying and one for selling. The only way to really know is to save scans of every single patch card sold on Ebay and compare that database to questionable ones that appear later on. That's obviously not going to happen.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
Like most of you all it just blows my mind that people buy some of these patches. This is my all time favorite fake patch that I think sold for well over 100 bucks
The card is from 2004 Ultimate.
pujolsfakepatch.jpg
pMLB2-2458174dt.jpg

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
schmidtfan20 said:
Topps really could care less about fakes, it doesn't affect their bottom line at all. Maybe that is the
reason they don't make a whole lot of patches, and when they do, and try to prevent tampering,
(like 09-10 basketball), they get flamed for the design.

I'm not an expert on card making,but how hard is it to glue in these patches so that removing them
destroys the card?

Kevin

I know everyone thinks this, but I really wonder how much Topps knows this is going on? They probably know of it, but I'm not sure they know that it's rampant in certain areas.

It's also not true that it doesn't effect their bottom line. If down the road so many of their cards are known to be altered, no one is going to care about buying any cards with patches. Which then will decrease the interest in people even wanting them in packs at all.

It would be so easy to end it all:

1) Do like Donruss and write where the patch came from on the card.
2) Make an online database of every patch card in the set. Then people can see what the card looked like before it left Topps. This would probably take some time, but it could be done for the more expensive, and lower print run sets. Especially cards like the one that started this that are 1/1s.

Members online

Latest posts