Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Westmoreland suffers broken collarbone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
UPDATE from the Providence Journal:

Westmoreland sustains apparent serious injury
12:44 AM Sat, Aug 29, 2009 |
Dan Barbarisi

Rhode Island native and Red Sox uber-prospect Ryan Westmoreland may be done for the year after sustaining what appears to be a serious injury during Friday night's Lowell Spinners game.

Westmoreland crashed into the outfield wall making a catch in the seventh inning, and initial reports out of Lowell indicated it could be a broken collarbone.

Westmoreland, 19, has been excellent as Lowell's DH, hitting .296 with seven home runs, 38 runs scored, 35 RBI, and 19 steals. He has a .401 on-base percentage.

With short-season Lowell nearing the end of their schedule in early September, it would be a major surprise to see Westmoreland return this season if the injury is as serious as is believed.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Re: Oh no...Ryan Westmoreland

I hope he is all right. Oh, and is that Casey Kelly in your sig?

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008

Well there goes my trip to Oneonta to watch him. Might go watch Lobstein sunday evening.

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008

Heard from a friend in the Sox organization that Westmoreland has suffered a broken collar bone. Done for the rest of the year.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008

caseumsd6 said:
Heard from a friend in the Sox organization that Westmoreland has suffered a broken collar bone. Done for the rest of the year.

Someone else standing near me at the game said "I wouldnt be as worried about an arm injury as I would with something around his neck and spinal area." I guess he was right.... :( :( :( :( :cry:

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston

MallCopKJ said:
caseumsd6 said:

Someone else standing near me at the game said "I wouldnt be as worried about an arm injury as I would with something around his neck and spinal area." I guess he was right.... :( :( :( :( :cry:

I disagree. An arm, shoulder, wrist injury could be much worse than a collarbone. A collarbone fracture can be repaired and usually doesn't carry many lingering effects, whereas a wrist, arm, or shoulder usually does. Neck or spine would be much worse, but this isn't.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008

mredsox89 said:
MallCopKJ said:
caseumsd6 said:

I disagree. An arm, shoulder, wrist injury could be much worse than a collarbone. A collarbone fracture can be repaired and usually doesn't carry many lingering effects, whereas a wrist, arm, or shoulder usually does. Neck or spine would be much worse, but this isn't.

I think it was actually his way of saying he didnt think he hurt his arm that it could be something like a collarbone.

soxrchamps07

Aug 7, 2008

caseumsd6 said:

Posted on Sox Prospects forums also, so a frac. collarbone is probably the case.

Exact quote-

Have it on good authority that he has a fractured collarbone and will be out for the remainder of the season. He will be good to go for ST though.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

soxrchamps07 said:
caseumsd6 said:

Posted on Sox Prospects forums also, so a frac. collarbone is probably the case.

Exact quote-

Have it on good authority that he has a fractured collarbone and will be out for the remainder of the season. He will be good to go for ST though.

The Season ends on September 7th. People always forget that when it comes to milb baseball

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008

ThoseBackPages said:
soxrchamps07 said:
caseumsd6 said:

Exact quote-

The Season ends on September 7th. People always forget that when it comes to milb baseball

They are in first place by like 5 games though so he will miss a playoff run also.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
According to the Providence Journal, outfield prospect Ryan Westmoreland suffered a season-ending injury Friday at Single-A Lowell.
Early reports suggest he may have suffered a broken collarbone. Westmoreland, 19, has hit .296 this season with seven home runs, a .401 on-base percentage, 38 runs scored, 35 RBI and 19 steals at the Single-A level. The minor league club ends their season in September. Some sort of winter ball could be in the cards if the injury isn't terribly serious.
Source: Providence Journal

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
When Westmoreland breaks his collarbone he does it right:
5440_1135778643156_1488030191_30470422_3658110_n.jpg

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
jlecates said:
When Westmoreland breaks his collarbone he does it right:
5440_1135778643156_1488030191_30470422_3658110_n.jpg

Man, talk about going all out. I was at the game tonight and saw him walking out there with a bunch of people in the sling. I guess hes going to stay with the team or at least for the time being he was with them. The teams living area has already been moved, as the college students are coming back to the dorms so I their basically getting prepared to wrap the season up. Dont know what would happen if they make the playoffs (up by 4 or 5 games depending on the Oneonta game as they won tonight) but I cant imagine him sticking around just to watch.

Members online

No members online now.