Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Walk off Hits

Do you think "Walk Offs" Should be only in the bottom of the ninth?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
It doesn't seem right to call it a walk off hit or homerun if you are in extra innings

I think it should only be in the bottom of the ninth

what do you people think?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I don't see what is wrong with calling an extra-inning hit a "walk off" - the result is the same (given it's the bottom of the inning).

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
The only thing that should be called a walk off is a home run. I think it was Dennis Eckersley who coined the phrase after giving up a game winner.

Alex

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It is called a walk off because they don't finish the game. Even if there are 0 outs, they walk off the field and quit playing right then and there. It's kind of a rip off. If the bases are loaded and you hit what would be a base clearing double, you only get 1 rbi instead of 3. That might not seem like a big deal, but what if you ended your career with 1995 rbi's instead of 2000?

Also, don't forgete these other walk off possibilities: walk off walks, walk off errors, and walk off wild pitches. I'm not sure how often (if at all) these things happen... Where's leatherman when you need him?

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
RL24 said:
It is called a walk off because they don't finish the game. Even if there are 0 outs, they walk off the field and quit playing right then and there. It's kind of a rip off. If the bases are loaded and you hit what would be a base clearing double, you only get 1 rbi instead of 3. That might not seem like a big deal, but what if you ended your career with 1995 rbi's instead of 2000?

Also, don't forgete these other walk off possibilities: walk off walks, walk off errors, and walk off wild pitches. I'm not sure how often (if at all) these things happen... Where's leatherman when you need him?

Mets have been on the losing end of all of those this season.

chippernate

thenumberonemetfan said:
RL24 said:

They did get a walk off walk of jeff bennet in the 9th at citi field before the mets fell apart

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
chippernate said:
thenumberonemetfan said:
RL24 said:

They did get a walk off walk of jeff bennet in the 9th at citi field before the mets fell apart

They only have 4 all season,I was at one of them about 1.5 weeks ago.

Members online