Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you sell a card for less than you think it is worth...

Would you sell for less to a player/set collector?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
I do it all the time to people I don't even know.

But yeah, unless you get one of these player collectors that feel entitled and that you are obligated to give them a deal, I would.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
As long as you are not taking a huge hit on the item and the collector offered a fair or very near fair offer for it then go for it.

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
There are times I have given away cards to player collectors knowing they would enjoy them more than I would. I have been lucky enough for a few people to do the same for me and believe in paying it forward.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Yes, and I encourage anyone with Prince Fielder or Hank Aaron cards to do so for me. :)

I've also traded at a my disadvantage to a player collector wanting one of my cards.

I will say though if it's a pc card or one I'm attached to, then they would need to make a compelling case.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
dadofandrew said:
There are times I have given away cards to player collectors knowing they would enjoy them more than I would. I have been lucky enough for a few people to do the same for me and believe in paying it forward.

Same here!

Yes, and I have many times. I like knowing the card is going to a "good home" and true collector. I have also traded many times where I was getting less book. To me it does not matter if you get what you like, and I get what I like, it's all good...
Have a great weekend everyone! :D
Joe

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
One thing that drives me nuts is when the seller gives the set/player collector a real bargain on a really rare card without knowing there are many other people collecting the same set/player who might have even greater interest, or would even pay double for it or something.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
dadofandrew said:

Bingo.

I would not only sell for less, but I have and will continue to send cards to player/team collectors regardless of price (if I pulled it OR bought it).

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
One thing that drives me nuts is when the seller gives the set/player collector a real bargain on a really rare card without knowing there are many other people collecting the same set/player who might have even greater interest, or would even pay double for it or something.

So if I pulled a super and you wanted it and I didn't you would get mad if I gave it to you instead of the 50 million others that wanted it?Kind of an odd point of view.

I would.Hell...I sent Trevordichi a whole box full of Bagwell cards.There was some nice stuff in there.I didn't charge him a dime.I had doubles of them all and it made him happy as hell so it was no sweat off my back.

What I hate is when people know you are really interested in a card and want to charge you more for it because they know you want the card or collect the player.Those days for me are over.There have been a few members of the board who have even tried it.Last time it happened...I refused and the seller didn't get much more(a few cents maybe) than I offered to pay.Trust me...I know what kind of offers are fair.If I tell you what I am willing to pay...it should be a fair price.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I do, because I envy the dedication of some of these player collectors. I've tried it with a couple of hockey players and given up out of frustration. So the hardcore player collectors get my respect, and I try and show that by helping them out if and when I can.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
dadofandrew said:

Right along the lines of what I was going to say.

The only time I don't think its applicable is when its a player/set collector that thinks he/she deserves a good deal for being the certain set/player collector.

I try to give more then not, but I'm always willing to sell short in order to help a fellow collector with their respective PC. I know I appreciate it when others give freebies or make deals for me out of the goodness of their heart.

When it comes down to it, we're all collectors, and I like to beleive for the most part that we all are good people who are in this hobby together. I hope I'm not just speaking for myself when I say I get a feeling of gratification when I can help out someone who will appreciate a card more then myself.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
There are player collectors you know are dedicated to their player and will hold the card forever, and those are the ones I like to help out, either by selling at a discount or just giving them it free. Then there are player collectors who seem like they collect a new guy every few months, or you've seen posts in the past from that say "thinking of dumping it all" or something to that effect and those are the ones I might offer the card to first, giving them first opportunity, but not really going out of my way to discount it.

But as a general rule, yes, I discount and like to get passionate player collectors together with their player's cards whenever possible.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I said "without knowing there are many other people collecting the same set/player". Ignorance is involved here, so big difference. Whatever you decide to do with a card is up to you, but it doesn't mean that it won't drive someone nuts if you're practically giving it away.

predatorkj said:

So if I pulled a super and you wanted it and I didn't you would get mad if I gave it to you instead of the 50 million others that wanted it?Kind of an odd point of view.

I would.Hell...I sent Trevordichi a whole box full of Bagwell cards.There was some nice stuff in there.I didn't charge him a dime.I had doubles of them all and it made him happy as hell so it was no sweat off my back.

What I hate is when people know you are really interested in a card and want to charge you more for it because they know you want the card or collect the player.Those days for me are over.There have been a few members of the board who have even tried it.Last time it happened...I refused and the seller didn't get much more(a few cents maybe) than I offered to pay.Trust me...I know what kind of offers are fair.If I tell you what I am willing to pay...it should be a fair price.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I said "without knowing there are many other people collecting the same set/player". Ignorance is involved here, so big difference. Whatever you decide to do with a card is up to you, but it doesn't mean that it won't drive someone nuts if you're practically giving it away.

predatorkj said:

Well...I did understand what you wrote.I just don't see why it would bother you.I understand being bummed out any time you missed out on a card you need.That feeling comes no mater what.It doesn't matter if it was sold, given away, or just pc'd for life by whoever pulled it.But I just don't feel it matters how the card got away.And you never know if someone would have cared anyway had they known.

Here's a conundrum for you:Say you go to a flea market or some other place and see a card that is worth quite a bit of money.The seller obviously does not know what they have.They don't want a whole lot for it.What do you do?Do you buy the card and feel happy about it?Do you not buy it and tell them what they have?Do you walk away and do neither?

In my mind if a seller is selling something they ought to know what they have.And with how wacky ebay can be, sometimes if you are buying a card offline, it may not fetch that much out in the real world as opposed to ebay.Ebay allows anyone with a desire to collect something the ability to see and purchase certain cards.The real world does not.You go to my local shop right now...I'll bet my bottom dollar I can pick up at least 3 cards that I could sell for more on ebay than I have to pay for them at the shop.Why?Because I don't have every collector with an ebay account battling against me for the same card.So you are left wondering if you just got a really good deal or if the card really just doesn't sell for that much outside of the city and state that that particular player plays for.I'd imagine Cubs items are not a super hot commodity outside of Chicago for example.You are not going to go to North Carolina and pay the same price for cubs cards as you would in Chicago or on ebay.

The guy at my local flea market I deal with always gives me excellent deals.He looks cards up in beckett even but he always gives me a super low price.Why?In his own words he just doesn't want to fool with ebay(even though I have told him I would help him set it up and that he could turn some nice profit) and he also feels that if he tries to extract top prices for his stuff it will just sit there.I quote, "People come out here looking for a bargain.Not to pay high dollar money for stuff." In the past its also why my trades with him have been a little rough.I may have something worth $100 and want to trade and he may only want to give me $30 for it because he can't sell it for $100.And unlike most dealers...he actually doesn't lie about that.

So to get at your point...there can be many different reasons why a person sells something to another or gives it to them.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
flightposite said:
unless you get one of these player collectors that feel entitled and that you are obligated to give them a deal, I would.

+1.

And unless you're taking a HUGE hit, but a small discount is always appreciated, and you never know when it might come back to you, from that person or others.

Members online

Latest posts