Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Bowman Chrome - Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marterburn

I took a detailed look at the checklist and made my extremely novice list of "who's good". Of course, this changes when the final checklist get released, hopefully.

Most of the autos are known commodities, or semi-known commodities:

Tier 1
Hanson
Viciedo

Tier 2
Marrero (has an auto already in 07 Bowman's Best I believe, which puts him on the lower tier)
Santana (08 Sterling auto won't hurt too much I don't think)
Brett Anderson
Freeman (1st chrome auto)
Pat Venditte (based on sales of his other stuff)

Tier 3
Sulbaran
Chris Johnson
Matt Mitchell
Allen Craig

...then the rest, for now, should be common or just above. I may eat my hypothesizing words on Grossman though.

Then what I was most interested, the quite underwhelming base checklist:

Tier 1
Dan Hudson
Mauricio Robles
Luis Exposito

Tier 2

Wily Peralta
Alexander Torres
Wilmer Font
Denny Almonte
Eric Farris
Starlin Castro

Tier 3

Terrell Allimon
Bryan Price
Brad Dydalewicz
Freddy Galvis
Danny Carroll
Richard Castillo
Aaron King
Bryan Augenstein (although he may have MLB RC this year too)
Delvi Cid
Taylor Harbin
Clayton Cook
Moises Sierra
Matt MItchell

Again, extremely novice.

Also, I saw 4 players on the checklist that already have BC cards: Hector Correa (08), Alfredo Silverio (08), Bryan Shaw (08), and Phillipe-Alexandre Valiquette (AKA Phillipe Valiquette in 06). There are probably more, that's just what I noticed.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
marterburn said:
Skorris CCBC said:
Allen Craig has an auto in the set.

25, yes, but absolutely mashing.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=501800

Stats in last 45 games..

174 ABs
.414 AVG
.457 OBP
.805 SLG
1.262 OPS
18 HRs
45 RBIs
44 Rs

yeah i saw that, i leaned more toward the being 25 as a huge turnoff to most though. I could be wrong, of course.

In my opinion, age doesn't really matter.

Once you get up to the bigs and start to mash, people don't care how old you are. Look at Jake Fox for example. Garrett Jones and Trent Oeltjen even.

marterburn

Skorris CCBC said:
marterburn said:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=501800[/url]

Stats in last 45 games..

174 ABs
.414 AVG
.457 OBP
.805 SLG
1.262 OPS
18 HRs
45 RBIs
44 Rs

yeah i saw that, i leaned more toward the being 25 as a huge turnoff to most though. I could be wrong, of course.

Once you get up to the bigs and start to mash, people don't care how old you are. Look at Jake Fox for example. Garrett Jones and Trent Oeltjen even.[/quote:buc6p9xy]

yep, even ryan howard was almost 25 when he debuted. I'd be interested to know what the wider scope of people think of him right now.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Skorris CCBC said:
marterburn said:

Stats in last 45 games..

174 ABs
.414 AVG
.457 OBP
.805 SLG
1.262 OPS
18 HRs
45 RBIs
44 Rs

Once you get up to the bigs and start to mash, people don't care how old you are. Look at Jake Fox for example. Garrett Jones and Trent Oeltjen even.[/quote:1vwu38em]

Are you speaking as a collector or flipper?

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
marterburn said:
Skorris CCBC said:
marterburn said:

Stats in last 45 games..

174 ABs
.414 AVG
.457 OBP
.805 SLG
1.262 OPS
18 HRs
45 RBIs
44 Rs

Once you get up to the bigs and start to mash, people don't care how old you are. Look at Jake Fox for example. Garrett Jones and Trent Oeltjen even.

yep, even ryan howard was almost 25 when he debuted. I'd be interested to know what the wider scope of people think of him right now.[/quote:qe8cpqzz]

Potential for a great quick flip, in my opinion, if he does get called up and have a nice game or two.

Cardinal nation can be crazy.

TBP - That's the flipper side of me coming out. I'll buy back for my collection when prices decrease.

I just did this with Brendan Ryan. Bought a Green Refractor for $9, sold for $26. With those profits, bought 2 Bowman Best parallels (Green + Blue) + 4 chromes for $6. Looking for more now.

marterburn

Potential for a great quick flip, in my opinion, if he does get called up and have a nice game or two.

TBP - That's the flipper side of me coming out. I'll buy back for my collection when prices decrease.

I just did this with Brendan Ryan. Bought a Green Refractor for $9, sold for $26. With those profits, bought 2 Bowman Best parallels (Green + Blue) + 4 chromes for $6. Looking for more now.

indeed, it could be the perfect storm of his callup and the release-hype prices happening at exactly the same time.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
marterburn said:

indeed, it could be the perfect storm of his callup and the release-hype prices happening at exactly the same time.

Never thought about that before, but yes, that could possibly happen. I wonder how high the prices would go? He could be the "next big thing" if only for 2 or 3 days.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
i can see that frame of mind from the "must make money" side of the fence, but as a rookie card collector, damn 25 is old

Not that old. :)

There's always a market for them.

They can still have very productive careers, just start in their mid to late 20's.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Skorris CCBC said:
ThoseBackPages said:
i can see that frame of mind from the "must make money" side of the fence, but as a rookie card collector, damn 25 is old

They can still have very productive careers, just start in their mid to late 20's.

we have a FCBer that makes a KILLING on the cougars!

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Skorris CCBC said:
ThoseBackPages said:

we have a FCBer that makes a KILLING on the cougars!

Haaa, who? :lol:

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I can see the autographed cards of Dinesh Patel & Rinku Singh selling very well. I know they'll never make the majors but I have a feeling that people in India will want these cards.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
jrinne said:
I can see the autographed cards of Dinesh Patel & Rinku Singh selling very well. I know they'll never make the majors but I have a feeling that people in India will want these cards.

I don't mean this as a dig, but has anyone ever sold to someone in India? They have their own site and I did a search on it for Pujols or Mantle and there wasn't one result. One seller had some Babe Ruth stamps, but that was the only hit for him, no cards.

Baseball isn't very big in India...they like cricket. They don't even field a team in the WBC. I doubt the Indian market will make a dent in prices for prospects.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff D said:
I don't mean this as a dig, but has anyone ever sold to someone in India? They have their own site and I did a search on it for Pujols or Mantle and there wasn't one result. One seller had some Babe Ruth stamps, but that was the only hit for him, no cards.

Baseball isn't very big in India...they like cricket. They don't even field a team in the WBC. I doubt the Indian market will make a dent in prices for prospects.
Don't discount the American collectors of Indian descent, especially if they're Pirates fans! :) I'm sure there will somebody out there who will chase those cards (at least to some extent).

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
So what does that make you, Eric? :D :lol:

Members online

Latest posts