Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which active players are LOCKS for the HOF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Only active players and lets leave out anyone who is linked to steroids.

Last rule, the player must retire RIGHT NOW.

My picks though Ill probably leave some out.

Jeter
Rivera
Junior
Johnson
Pedro
Smoltz
Hoffman (could be iffy, HOF doesnt like closers)
Glavine
Thome

I know big names are left off my list. Pujols, Ichiro, Chipper etc but they either dont have enough playing time yet or dont have the numbers RIGHT NOW.

What do you think?

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
I agree with your list and I would also say that Ichiro, Pujols, and Chipper will also be locks for the HOF. What about recently retired players? Jeff Kent is going to get in on his first ballot. Biggio, Schilling and Piazza also should get in first ballot.

Maur, given he keeps this up for his career should get in. Possibly Sheffield? He might be on the edge though.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Omar Vizquel. He'll make it in easy. One of the few steroid era players that you'll never have to worry about being clean. That alone will set him up nicely.

I have a feeling that once we run out of veterans on the bubble, there are going to be some really ..... reaching type additions to the HOF to keep certain other players away from consideration. I know that you don't *have* to elect anybody, but you rarely see none elected.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
Vagrant said:
Omar Vizquel. He'll make it in easy. One of the few steroid era players that you'll never have to worry about being clean. That alone will set him up nicely.

I have a feeling that once we run out of veterans on the bubble, there are going to be some really ..... reaching type additions to the HOF to keep certain other players away from consideration. I know that you don't *have* to elect anybody, but you rarely see none elected.

Cant agree more!

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I don't think Hoffman is iffy at all. He should be a lock.
And if it's because he's a closer, then shouldn't Rivera by iffy too?

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Vagrant said:
One of the few steroid era players that you'll never have to worry about being clean.

Those words should never be spoken. Just because someone doesn't drop bombs doesn't mean they didn't inject something. Someone like Visquel who plays a demanding position hard every single day may be more likely than some over-weight slugging DH or 1B.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
trevordchi said:
Vagrant said:
One of the few steroid era players that you'll never have to worry about being clean.

Those words should never be spoken. Just because someone doesn't drop bombs doesn't mean they didn't inject something. Someone like Visquel who plays a demanding position hard every single day may be more likely than some over-weight slugging DH or 1B.

+1

Everyone at first assumed this was about hitting HR's, then we heard pitchers were doing it so we assumed it was about strength in general, now we know it was pretty much anyone who wanted an edge or the ability to make it through a 200 + game season. (spring + 162 + playoffs).

Just assume they were all on something, its less dissapointing.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
Mudcatsfan said:
trevordchi said:
Vagrant said:

+1

Everyone at first assumed this was about hitting HR's, then we heard pitchers were doing it so we assumed it was about strength in general, now we know it was pretty much anyone who wanted an edge or the ability to make it through a 200 + game season. (spring + 162 + playoffs).

Just assume they were all on something, its less dissapointing.

+2 Ichiro is about the only guy that i would be disapointed if he was on the list

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Vagrant said:

I sure hope you're right!!!!

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
I agree with your list and I would also say that Ichiro, Pujols, and Chipper will also be locks for the HOF. What about recently retired players? Jeff Kent is going to get in on his first ballot. Biggio, Schilling and Piazza also should get in first ballot.

Maur, given he keeps this up for his career should get in. Possibly Sheffield? He might be on the edge though.

I'm not trying to start a fight with all the Red Sox fans, but Schilling should not be a first ballot HOFer. I'm not sure I even put him in. Here's a list of comparable pitchers; according to baseballreference.com:
Kevin Brown
Bob Welch
Orel Hershiser
Freddie Fitzsimmons
John Smoltz (I disagree that he's a lock HOFer)
Milt Pappas
Don Drysdale (HOFer)
Dazzy Vance (HOFer)
Jim Perry
Catfish Hunter (HOFer)

A sock with ketchup on it doesn't make you a Hall of Famer.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
kentuckyderby said:
not sure Pedro is 100% given

It boggles my mind every time somebody says this.

Pedro Martinez is an absolute lead-pipe cinch to make the HOF on the first-ballot. Say what you want about the electorate, but they recognize that Pedro was one of the most dominant pitchers not only of his era, but all-time.

Getting into the HOF is not all about career statistical accumulation.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
ccouch (Chad) said:
kentuckyderby said:
not sure Pedro is 100% given

It boggles my mind every time somebody says this.

Pedro Martinez is an absolute lead-pipe cinch to make the HOF on the first-ballot. Say what you want about the electorate, but they recognize that Pedro was one of the most dominant pitchers not only of his era, but all-time.

Getting into the HOF is not all about career statistical accumulation.

I agree and disagree here with you Chad. I agree that Pedro will be a 1st ballot, but his stats are pretty darn good along with the amount of dominating years he had despite the unlikelihood that he will get to 300 wins:

Win-Loss 216-99
ERA 2.93
Strikeout 3130
BB 754
IP 2796.2

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
trevordchi said:
Vagrant said:

Fernando Vina anyone?

Members online

Latest posts