Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Addition to "Do these Steroid guys belong in the HOF"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
When asking about steroids and the HOF I would think that Bonds would be the first person to come to mind.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
011873 said:
Gary Sheffield. Is he a HOF?

no look at his stats. His body of work was inconsistent. He was never the best player at his position for a given numbers, He will be a perfect example of why 500HR wil no longer be an automatic.

I think what we, as a board if we are going to continue these kinds of discussions, need to do is decide what kind of things in a person's career makes them hall worthy.Lately there have been a ton of people either disagreeing or agreeing for some very different reasons.Take the consistency thing for example.Me...I am all about the end result.You take a guy who hits 20 homers a year but falls shy of 500 homers by about 70 or 80 homers.He was consistent.But he never reached the mark.Then you take a guy who has 500 homers but was all over the chart as far as consistency.Who is the better player?One hit more homers than the other and at some points helped his team way more than the guy hitting the same old 20 bombs a year.And at other times he was subpar to the guy hitting the 20 a year.Doesn't that even out?

Another argument is the fame factor.How many of the guys inducted in the last 20 years that were inducted can ever live up to the kind of fame as their predecessors?Reciprocate and each year more and more guys get in who just aren't that famous but are warranted due to numbers.I mean...Jim Rice was never all that famous.Neither was Gary Carter.Yes they were all stars and yes people knew who they were but they were not and still are not who you think of when you think of famous ball players and this is from a baseball fans perspective.Imagine if you were just a casual fan.You might not really know anything at all about them.In my opinion...fame doesn't play a heavy factor.Chances are if the guy had good numbers then that is going to be why he gets in.

Another train of thought is the steroids issue.Like I said before, either axe the roids from the debate completely or do not allow anyone in at all who is even remotely connected with them.Its not a very good idea to say "Well this guy would have been good enough for the Hall steroids or not".None of us can know that.Only God could know that and since a nice portion of this board doesn't believe in God...looks like you'll never know.If people want to consider roids a non-factor then that is cool.But there are just too many hangups trying to use it to try to piece together what a career might have looked like without it.

Another big problem with the above is then what do you do about players from basically 1980 until now?Chances are if the roid debate isn't dropped then eventually somebody who has done them gets in and then people find out after the fact.In any case its not going to settle with a lot of people because they may feel certain players who are in the hall really did roids but just haven't been caught and then that creates a rather nice dilemma.In my opinion just forget about the steroids thing.Just make sure, as a league and an organization, it doesn't happen again.The best way for that?Life time ban for first offense.That is not nearly as harsh as it seems.I mean...these guys know that if they do it and get caught its over.It will also help them pick and choose their supplements better.I'd tell them that if they get caught whether they knew they were taking something that had them in there or not, tough crap.

We ought to just start a poll, if you guys really feel like discussing this a lot more, and find out what the guidelines we all would like to go by.Voting would weed out what ideas we want to use and those we don't and it would allow everyone to chime in on players they think might get in or those who might not.But it just seems like every time we have this discussion it ends in one of two ways...people disagreeing on what makes a HOF player or people arguing over who took them and who didn't.

To answer the OP's question , I do think Sheffield has the numbers.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Bonds and Clemens will be the litmus test for steroids and the HOF...not McGwire.

A guy like Sheffield has not a shred of chance to get in on the first ballot, and probably won't get in at all.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
509 Homeruns, Close to 2700 hits, Close to 500 doubles, .292 Batting AVg. (Again Close to .300), 1639 runs, close to 1500 walks (Infact has more walks than strikeout and never struckout 100 times or more in a season) 252 stolebases.

He will reach 2700+ hits, 500 doubles and his 1500 walks.
So I say he gets in. I agree with 200lbHockeyplayer in that he will not be first ballot but I say he gets in eventually and I say he belongs. Then again I am one of the few people that accually likes Sheffield.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
i would have to say yes but not first ballot. he was a good player and i think he could havemade it without PED's. but that is just me

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
mlbsalltimegreats said:
509 Homeruns, Close to 2700 hits, Close to 500 doubles, .292 Batting AVg. (Again Close to .300), 1639 runs, close to 1500 walks (Infact has more walks than strikeout and never struckout 100 times or more in a season) 252 stolebases.

So I say he gets in. I agree with 200lbHockeyplayer in that he will not be first ballot but I say he gets in eventually and I say he belongs. Then again I am one of the few people that accually likes Sheffield.

I like him,he leads the Mets in hrs this season.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
mlbsalltimegreats said:

I like him,he leads the Mets in hrs this season.
:lol: Yea who would have thought :eek:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The huge problem I see with Sheffield is that he was a cancer on every team he ever played for. Seriously, 8 teams in 22 seasons? Come on now, that's a glaring problem. He's a modern day Dick Allen, big bat and totally surly.

His stats speak of longevity, and that is good, but his attitude will hammer his vote totals for at least a few years, if not forever.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
The huge problem I see with Sheffield is that he was a cancer on every team he ever played for. Seriously, 8 teams in 22 seasons? Come on now, that's a glaring problem. He's a modern day Dick Allen, big bat and totally surly.

His stats speak of longevity, and that is good, but his attitude will hammer his vote totals for at least a few years, if not forever.
Yea you are 100% right. Im hope that inbetween that 5 year waiting period he really lightens up (Wishful thinking) and can possibly sway some of the writers to become atleast indifferent about his attitude and focus on his stats and eye for hitting.
It will be interesting to say the least when his time comes.

Latest posts