Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sean Rodriguez the PTBNL in Kazmir Trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
From today's ASK BA. Look at the last sentence:

"The Rays' sudden leap from doormat to contender has started to catch up to them. One of the side effects of winning if that player salaries rise, and Tampa Bay's target payroll for next year is $70 million. So the Rays saved $8 million next year and $24 million overall by dealing Scott Kazmir to the Angels for third baseman Matt Sweeney, lefthander Alex Torres and a player to be named.

Kazmir is a two-time all-star who holds most of the significant Rays pitching records, but he also has a career-worst 5.92 ERA this year and a lot of mileage on his arm for a 25-year-old. The move makes sense for both clubs, though, as the Angels need pitching, easily can absorb Kazmir's contract and no doubt have noticed his success against potential playoff opponents Boston and New York.

Not only can Tampa Bay use the salary savings to retain Carl Crawford and pay for raises in arbitration, but it also can replace Kazmir with blue-chip prospect Wade Davis. There's also word that the player to be named will the most talented part of the package, perhaps infielder Brandon Wood or righthander Jordan Walden."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 68803.html

I would love it if either one were part of the package, especially Walden. :mrgreen:

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Re: Jim Callis: Walden or Wood the PTBNL in Kazmir Trade?

This would make it look better for the Rays.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

jcmint said:
This would make it look better for the Rays.

Much.

Not sure where Wood would play, although RF could be a possibility.

If Walden hasn't lost any velocity he would make quite a few fans forget about Kaz pretty quickly.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008

For the love of God, someone just give Wood a full season of AB's. Would be an interesting addition to the Rays.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008

i betcha it is wood or s rod. maddon was already out of the organization by the time walden hit the scene in 2007. the fact that he mentioned that they were close to the bigs and that he was excited leads me to believe it is one of them. my money is on s rod...versatile, athletic and a florida boy

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

cowboysrule48 said:
This makes me no longer hate the trade.

So, you'd be happy if Wood were to replace Zobrist? :mrgreen:

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008

Wood would be replacing the contract expiring Iwamura at 2B. Zobrist would be a permanent RF. I would love it if Wood came

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

A 6-foot-3, 210 lb second baseman? I'd be interested in seeing that.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL

Jaypers said:

Yea, I don't know what he was talking about, but what I was saying is they would keep Zobrist to play 2nd and get rid of Aki before picking up Aki's option.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008

Jaypers said:

another reason why sean rodriguez would be a better fit

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

cowboysrule48 said:
If they landed Wood, what at the possibilities of using him as a DH?

Better option than Burrell.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008

cowboysrule48 said:
If they landed Wood, what at the possibilities of using him as a DH?

wood has a very good defensive skillset so i doubt they would have him dh regularly

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008

I actually think Wood would be fine at second. The big reason he moved to third was to give him some defensive flexibility thus giving him a better shot of helping the Angles, but to be honest he still has the range (he's not Rey Ordonez in the range department, but he's not a 40 defender either). 2B has also moved down the defensive spectrum, to use a James term, in recent years; you see some bat/no glove guys playing there (Uggla, Kent).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts