Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brad Penny to the Giants.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
uniquebaseballcards said:
The guy used to be a premiere pitcher...sort of like Zito. Hmmmm.

He was solid for a portion of the season for the sox, but he either wore down or hitters adjusted more than he did. I think it was probably a combination of both but hope he can bounce back in SF.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
He's going to a pitchers park. He is going to a division where the hitters are not the hitters of the AL east. He has financial incentive to pitch well. He is only expected to be a 5th starter. I think this move helps the Giants significantly. Welcome to SF Brad Penny.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Well if Smoltz can go from sucking on the Red Sox to a star pitcher on the Cards then Penny can probably be the Giants ace... ::facepalm::

JacobAlastra

Sep 14, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Great move, low risk/high reward. The 5th spot has been nonexistent the last 2 years, now it's a strongpoint. I think the Giants now have the best rotation in atleast the NL.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
JacobAlastra said:
Great move, low risk/high reward. The 5th spot has been nonexistent the last 2 years, now it's a strongpoint. I think the Giants now have the best rotation in atleast the NL.

I'd take the Cards ahead of them by a decent margin. Besides them, I would have to agree.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
The article I read, said Penny wanted to be released, so hopefully he go latch on with
a contending, and then have a good show since he was to be a free agent after this season anyway.
He also said hopefully a good showing would boost his stock in the off season free agent market. :lol:

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
Penny still has a good fastball. It's a low risk, possible high reward move. From what I've heard it appears Penny will start on Wednesday in Philadelphia.

Tuesday Jon Sanchez vs. Cole Hamels
Wednesday Brad Penny vs. JA Happ
Thursday Tim Lincecum vs. Pedro Martinez

Should be a good series in Philly. Also looking ahead on the schedule Penny would pitch twice against the Dodgers.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Pine Tar said:
The article I read, said Penny wanted to be released, so hopefully he go latch on with
a contending, and then have a good show since he was to be a free agent after this season anyway.
He also said hopefully a good showing would boost his stock in the off season free agent market. :lol:

...all of which makes sense. I don't see what's funny.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
johnny rook said:
Penny still has a good fastball.

Yep, awesome fastball. Mid 90's with no movement, dead straight.

.....That he throws 95% of the time.

But it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he pitches great for the Giants. ::Sigh::

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
Yes Penny throws the heater a lot, 72.4% of the time to be exact. His average fastball velocity is 94.0 mph. Which ranks Penny 8th in MLB.

Members online

No members online now.