Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thome to Dodgers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
J.O. said:
Agreed. I like seeing him play. I think this past series (Yankees vs. White Sox) could be the last time I'll ever see Thome play. Then again, he is a FA, and if he signs in the NL, there is inter league play, but still. If he signs in the NL, chances are the Yankees will not play said team (unless he signs with the Mets).

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
but it was done mainly to block the Battery-Chucking Giants from getting him. He'll just come off the bench. No time in the field. I am happy, cause I like Thome, but it's about 5 years too late.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
This deal makes 100% no sense to me. I like Thome--huge fan, but how are the Dodgers planning to use him---certainly not putting him in the field where he has not played in 5 years (he has played 28 innings total).

So, are they going to just use him as a pinch hitter coming off the bench???

I am assuming he would be playing at first base??????

TK

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
pujolsthomefan33 said:
This deal makes 100% no sense to me. I like Thome--huge fan, but how are the Dodgers planning to use him---certainly not putting him in the field where he has not played in 5 years (he has played 28 innings total).

TK
he's just going to come off the bench as a pinch hitter. Loney is solid at 1st and not going anywhere.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
jimmyjam1973 said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:

TK
he's just going to come off the bench as a pinch hitter. Loney is solid at 1st and not going anywhere.

Eh.....I am assuming this was more of a favor to Thome so he can go to a contender then, because he will NOT want to just be a "come off the bench pinch hitter" in the NL, so I see this as more of a rental until he can sign with an AL club at the end of the year then.........

That at least makes some sense to me.

TK

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
pujolsthomefan33 said:
jimmyjam1973 said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:

TK

Eh.....I am assuming this was more of a favor to Thome so he can go to a contender then, because he will NOT want to just be a "come off the bench pinch hitter" in the NL, so I see this as more of a rental until he can sign with an AL club at the end of the year then.........

That at least makes some sense to me.

TK
From ESPN
"In fact, the night before the deadline he called me. ... He just said: 'I just want to be honest with you. I'd love to come. I want to help you guys any way I can. But playing first base is not something I'm going to be able to do -- maybe in an emergency situation, perhaps.'"

I'd love to see him get more than 1 bat a night, but in true Dodger fashion they miss the bus (just like Strawberry, Eric Davis, Maddux, etc, etc).

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
thenumberonemetfan said:
If they make the World Series then hes a great dh.

This is the best-case scenario, but until then Ned Colletti has already said Thome will not steal starts from James Loney.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
If they make the World Series then hes a great dh.

Great point. When I heard about it I thought he was pretty expensive for a pinch-hitter, but now it makes more sense. I hate to root against Thome, but the Giants are my #2 team so I only want to see him in the World Series if the Giants don't go.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Probably would've made more sense that the Tigers picked him up instead of Aubrey Huff. But I'm sure glad they didnt...

Members online

Latest posts