Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What error or corrected card can you never find?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
For me its the 2002 Topps Pujols corrected card with HIS pic on the back, not Polanco's.

Also, not that I look for it online, but whenever I come upon a 1991 Leaf Gold Rookie at a show ( I dig through many boxes), I check the back to see if its base card numbered or not.

Before it became "famous", it used to be Randy Johnson's 1989 Fleer Marlboro card which eluded me until I found 2 in less than a month at 2 different shows.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Until just recently, a 1991 Topps Chipper Jones football back. Super rare card. Glad I could add it to the collection.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I agree on the 2002 Topps Albert Pujols #160 corrected card. I have only seen one listed on ebay. Here is my 1991 Topps All Star Ken Griffey Jr with football player on back (Jim Arnold is my dad's name).

kgja.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
011873 said:
For me its the 2002 Topps Pujols corrected card with HIS pic on the back, not Polanco's.

Also, not that I look for it online, but whenever I come upon a 1991 Leaf Gold Rookie at a show ( I dig through many boxes), I check the back to see if its base card numbered or not.

Before it became "famous", it used to be Randy Johnson's 1989 Fleer Marlboro card which eluded me until I found 2 in less than a month at 2 different shows.

You know how all the Marlboro billboards are kinda dark? Here's the 1st I've ever seen lighter from many years of looking. Heard it existed just never seen one until my buddy picked one up. Always thought it might of been less ink used for the 'lighter billboard' card, but the rest of the card appears the same. Scan is unaltered.

marlboroclearbigger.jpg

My list-
1989 Fleer c-list w/positions (Dont want one, just never seen one for sell)
1989 Fleer Ripken cut (not saw cut)
1989 Fleer Ripken Black Scribble (not saw cut and different than F,loop,lite)

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
011873 said:

I was going to type this when I saw the title of the thread.

I worked at Topps in 2002, and I'm the one responsible for the error in the first place. I was not aware that we corrected this error for any version of 2002 Topps base (except for Chrome and opening day-which could account for scans with Pujols's photo), though some have conjectured that it was corrected for the very last run of holiday factory sets. That's possible, as another editor took charge of those sets. But from my knowledge as a Baseball Editor at Topps at the time, I don't think this card exists.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
KLARNOLD said:
I agree on the 2002 Topps Albert Pujols #160 corrected card. I have only seen one listed on ebay. Here is my 1991 Topps All Star Ken Griffey Jr with football player on back (Jim Arnold is my dad's name).

kgja.jpg

Huh. Is the whole set available with football backs? This is the first I've heard of it...

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Mighty Bombjack said:
011873 said:

I worked at Topps in 2002, and I'm the one responsible for the error in the first place. I was not aware that we corrected this error for any version of 2002 Topps base (except for Chrome and opening day-which could account for scans with Pujols's photo), though some have conjectured that it was corrected for the very last run of holiday factory sets. That's possible, as another editor took charge of those sets. But from my knowledge as a Baseball Editor at Topps at the time, I don't think this card exists.

If you don't believe it exists, then where did the Japanese company Kanebo get pictures from for their 2003 set? Also, Beckett (Rich Klein) did an article showing the 2 different versions a few years ago.

03TK1AP.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Seen a sport/non sport mismatch. Pretty cool.

Not the same, but I have a 1980 cello at PSA with Football on top and Baseball on bottom in a Baseball wrapper. Unsure if it's just a mixed product in the cello or wrong fronts.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
KLARNOLD said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
011873 said:

If you don't believe it exists, then where did the Japanese company Kanebo get pictures from for their 2003 set? Also, Beckett (Rich Klein) did an article showing the 2 different versions a few years ago.

03TK1AP.jpg

They copied the later corrected product. Opening Day, Chrome etc. ??

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
KLARNOLD said:

03TK1AP.jpg

That photo was indeed pulled by the other editor for use in Chrome and Opening day, as was then used for this 03 set.

As for the Klein article, if I recall correctly, he never had the card in hand, but was relying on scans from a collector.

I'm just skeptical for three reasons: 1. I edited this set and never corrected it myself; 2. I was never privvy to any discussion of correcting it as part of the Topps base print run and, believe it or not, at that time it was official company policy NOT to correct errors, as that would screw up the odds stated on packaging (I should know, I made many errors in my short tenure there); 3. I have never seen this for sale on Ebay or elsewheres (though a poster above says he has seen it on Ebay)

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
KLARNOLD said:
I agree on the 2002 Topps Albert Pujols #160 corrected card. I have only seen one listed on ebay.

Edit- I guess you are that poster. Do you recall when that was, and what it ended for? Did the scans/auction look legit?

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Mighty Bombjack said:
KLARNOLD said:
I agree on the 2002 Topps Albert Pujols #160 corrected card. I have only seen one listed on ebay.

Edit- I guess you are that poster. Do you recall when that was, and what it ended for? Did the scans/auction look legit?

The ebay auction was around the time of the article (2006?) and it sold for about $30.00 (I only bid $25.00 at the time). The seller was actually the guy in Klein's article. I didn't save the emails with the seller or Rich Klein regarding the article. Does the Topps Limited Pujols have the correct photo? If so, maybe the seller had one of those that didn't have the foil stamping on it.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
KLARNOLD said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
KLARNOLD said:

The ebay auction was around the time of the article (2006?) and it sold for about $30.00 (I only bid $25.00 at the time). The seller was actually the guy in Klein's article. I didn't save the emails with the seller or Rich Klein regarding the article. Does the Topps Limited Pujols have the correct photo? If so, maybe the seller had one of those that didn't have the foil stamping on it.

Or a Home Team Advantage card without foil?

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Jack Straw said:
KLARNOLD said:
[quote="Mighty Bombjack":t6f6i9hh]
KLARNOLD said:

Or a Home Team Advantage card without foil?[/quote:t6f6i9hh]

Maybe we are on to something...HTA or Limited without the foil.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
KLARNOLD said:
Jack Straw said:
KLARNOLD said:
[quote="Mighty Bombjack":whjuk5hy]
KLARNOLD said:

Or a Home Team Advantage card without foil?

Maybe we are on to something...HTA or Limited without the foil.[/quote:whjuk5hy]

These are possibilities, but I always thought it was a case of different scans front to back. I've never spoken to someone who has held one of these cards in their hands.

Members online

Latest posts