Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Drew Stubbs w/power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
ruffryder98499 said:
Is it pure luck or is he tapping to his power stroke that everybody was concerned with.

He's a 6'4" freak athlete that always hit for power in HS and college ... I think he is going to tap into it more and more especially as his pitch-recognition improves and he's seen pitchers more than once. I look for big things from him next season, with a starting MLB CF job in hand and a whole offseason of work with the big league hitting staff.

I have always had the feeling that Stubbs was SO talented he kind of coasted through the minor leagues, especially the lower levels. Each time he's been promoted, he has TORN IT UP for a month or two, before seemingly "getting bored" again - a very counterintuitive pattern for a guy whose been promoted, to start great, and then regress ... I really do think it was boredom and this is what he's been waiting for all along.

Regardless, his speed and defense will keep him starting in the big leagues ... now hopefully hit bat can catch up - he has shown promise with cutting his K-rate and has always been pretty solid getting on-base ... he was hitting .300+ at the ASB and has just been slumping in the second half. Here's hoping he gets it together and cuts those big-league K's that he's been racking up thus far since the call-up!

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Unfortunately for Stubbs, Dusty Baker's love for veterans will probably get in the way.

Alex

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
When he was at Texas I saw him a few times, and you could tell he had power potential, he's a big guy which definately helps him out with that too.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I have always been a HUGE Stubbs fan (I was enrolled at Texas while he was there), and I always thought that he would put it together. As has been said, he has great natural size and a very nice swing. Add that to exceptional defense and speed, and I think he will be around for awhile! Btw, HOOK 'EM!!! :D

ee10

Aug 14, 2008
Mt Sterling, KY
Casey2884 said:
koal said:
another HR. dood is on fire

It was absolutely CRUSHED about 420ft. to right center... wow. 3/4 on the day. Too bad he got caught stealing. AND, only 1 K in his last 14 AB :cool:

That's the key for Stubbs...his defense and baserunning will take care of themselves. If he can just put the ball in play he will have a successful career. He's got plenty of pop...but, cutting down the K's and forcing the defense to make a play with his speed will be a deciding factor for him. I'm very impressed with what I've seen to this point though!

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
Jaypers said:
Would the honorable Mr. Couch care to weigh in here? :mrgreen:

Whoops -- just saw this and didn't want you to think I was ducking it. You know that I'll always stand accountable for what I say here or anywhere else for that matter.

I'll certainly take longer than 80+ AB's to judge young Mr. Stubbs. I said when he came up that I thought that on a long-term basis he'll struggle to hit .250 and will strike out way too much. And while I certainly wouldn't dare to say "I told you so" if he was hitting .200 after 84 AB's, I'm certainly not going to be gushing forth with mea culpas just because he's hitting .270 with 5 jacks those same 84 AB's.

Don't get me wrong -- I certainly get that he'll have value due to his speed and defense. That's not what my argument is about.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
2 more days ... 2 more HR for Stubbs ... up to 7 now in 121 AB.

Also stole another base tonight and gunned down Hunter Pence at 3rd trying to stretch a double into a triple.

Pretty impressive thus far, though he could stand to cut down the K's ... but for his major league debut, I must say I've been pleasantly surprised.

SKYWALKER

Aug 7, 2008
WILDCAT COUNTRY
Casey2884 said:
2 more days ... 2 more HR for Stubbs ... up to 7 now in 121 AB.

Also stole another base tonight and gunned down Hunter Pence at 3rd trying to stretch a double into a triple.

Pretty impressive thus far, though he could stand to cut down the K's ... but for his major league debut, I must say I've been pleasantly surprised.

+1 :D :D :D NOW LETS SEE SOME MLB CARDS

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
some guys don't hit for power in the minors and then hit for pop in majors.

McCutchen is one
Hanley is another

Members online

Latest posts