Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should BGS

What should BGS do

• Partial refund if it does not meet minimum grade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
You pay $10 to get a card graded, it meets your 9.5 min grade, they look at it (service) and slab it (prodct, as slabs/labels aren't free)

you pay $10 for another card in the order, and it doesn't meet min. grade. (service) you get no product but it still costs you $10?!

Should they change their system or what?

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I don't think you understand business.....

Not to mention that YOU set the minimum grade, not them. They have a clear grading scale on their website. Look at it as assuming the risk before taking part in an activity.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:

:?

Oh believe me I do. But imagine someone submitting 10 cards and non meet the minimum grade. You just paid $100 for someone to look at your cards and you get them back exactly as they were.
BGS makes more money when they don't have to slab, as that takes time and supplies. It's great business for them, but kind of annoying for the customer.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
I think this option could work real well for some customers who are hesitant about their cards.
make two charges- $7 for grading, $3 for slab so that if it does not meet min. grade, you pay $7 and not $10

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Why change a thing?

You do realize that their material costs drop significantly with every card that does not meet the grade minimum right? That being said, I would much rather get what I paid for and bust out what I don't want slabbed. Last I checked, most businesses are trying to maximize revenue, not leave money on the table.

BGS has done a great job with many of their "gimmicks" including Raw Card Review. They have been able to maximize almost all revenue in the grading market. And it's their only growth product, and only product with potential.

Without BGS, Beckett would be done. Gone.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
J.O. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

:?

Oh believe me I do. But imagine someone submitting 10 cards and non meet the minimum grade. You just paid $100 for someone to look at your cards and you get them back exactly as they were.
BGS makes more money when they don't have to slab, as that takes time and supplies. It's great business for them, but kind of annoying for the customer.

So don't min grade, they do not force you to do this. Why not get it graded regardless and get the service you pay for and then crack it out if your not happy? People submit with me all the time and they ask if they can MIN grade, I tell them I recommend they get the service they are paying for and if they are really unhappy I'll crack it for them. They should charge the same always, your the one making them do less work with the min grade.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Johan Santana #57 said:
doesnt work since you pay before you send the cards (like a money order with the cards) or I am sure your CC is charged

true, but they could make it so you just leave a CC# and you're charged after, or you're invoiced and required to pay before receiving your cards back

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
I put min 9 otherwise authenticate it on most cases, I doubt you can lose by doing this.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
the one time I submitted to BGS i got a card that did not meet a 9, and I disclosed this in my auction. Do you disclose when you crack it out and sell it/doesn't meet min.?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I wish they would offer a partial discount if the card is not graded but i find it hard to believe that they ever will do that.

One thing that I think they should do is to let you know the subs on the cards that didn't meet the minimum grade. They still grade each and every card you submit, they just dont slab it. How much extra work would it be to list online the subs of cards they didnt slab

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
mredsox89 said:
I wish they would offer a partial discount if the card is not graded but i find it hard to believe that they ever will do that.

One thing that I think they should do is to let you know the subs on the cards that didn't meet the minimum grade. They still grade each and every card you submit, they just dont slab it. How much extra work would it be to list online the subs of cards they didnt slab

Get it slabbed crack out, is it really that hard for people to crack slabs?

I've seen someone crack a slab with a door LOL.

Also sounds like a lot of people would benefit from getting a group together to bulk grade. The prices are very cheap for non 9.5s.... Only thing you have to send 500-1000 cards a month.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
People that voted for a partial discount have probably been burned in the past with the minimum grade or don't understand what it takes for a card to get a 9.5.

Getting a complete refund would be a waste of Beckett's time and, while Beckett has done some stupid things in the past, they wouldn't even think of offering such a discount unless J.O. ran the show.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
ProspectorsAdvantage said:
mredsox89 said:

Get it slabbed crack out, is it really that hard for people to crack slabs?

I've seen someone crack a slab with a door LOL.

Also sounds like a lot of people would benefit from getting a group together to bulk grade. The prices are very cheap for non 9.5s.... Only thing you have to send 500-1000 cards a month.

I have never tried or even examined cracking slabs

promodeltodd

Aug 7, 2008
People have come up with all sorts of reasons why they have minimum grade, none make sense to me since they complain anyway.

When you slab it, you find out what the grade is. Check your cards more closely if you are worried about a minimum grade. Submit in bulk if you find their prices too high. Submit at longer turnaround times for cheaper rates.

Most of my graded prices are in the $5 to $6 range with specials or large submisisons and the one time a year I use the $10 level, I usually have 18 free at that level and only need to pay for 2.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Why shouldn't BGS get paid if the card doesn't meet the grade you requested? They still performed a service by evaluating your card...not to mention the cost of processing your order from receiving to shipping.

However, there is a reduced rate structure for individuals with large orders....they pay an unadvertised rate (very favorable) for each card meeting the minimum grade and a very nominal fee for each card that doesn't meet the minimum grade.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:

Not to mention that YOU set the minimum grade, not them. They have a clear grading scale on their website. Look at it as assuming the risk before taking part in an activity.

Ill agree, I really don't think you understand business. You have some responsibility to make sure you know what you are sending in.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
It seems to me there is only one logical choice...

When I use to paint houses for a living, we NEVER gave a set price as it will fluxuate with how many coats of paint it needs, how much prep work, labor costs there in, ect.. So, to say all rooms that are 20 x 20 equate to this fixed price is not good, sometimes not good for the painters, sometimes not good for the home owner...

Thus, you break down the job by a few different factors.

1. Labor costs.
2. Materials.
3. Profit desired.

A 20 x 20 room may be..

First room = 4 men, 8 hours each, $25 per hour per man, $200 in materials(2 coats of paint) = $1000

Second room = 2 men, 8 hours each, $25 per hour per man, $100 in materials(one coat) = $500

Both exactly the same size but one used more materials and man power thus justifying the added money. Would it be fair to just charge $1000 for EVERY 20x20 room because worst case scenerio dictates the justified cost(s)? No...

This is the same with Beckett Grading. It takes less time and materials to grade and NOT slab a card than it does to give the card the full service of grading AND slabbing. Weither you put a minimum grade or not does NOT blur the difference in effort and material, it remains different. So, clearly the workload and materials are indeed different and so should the price.

To say "$7 for grading and $3 for slabbing" is completely justified in my eyes. They are still getting there due profit from the grading service and saving time and materials by not slabbing. And in the case the extra time and materials are required, then the extra $3 is now justified and well desserved.

It seems pretty simple to me...

Why ANYONE would actually vote "leave it as is, paying $10 whether it gets slabbed or not" is baffeling to me..

Members online