Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Ebay/Paypal Issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
Last week I sold a 50-lot of Mike Piazza cards to an Ebay member, and he paid me for them, about $10 with shipping. He also asked if I had any more Piazza cards. We got to talking and he wanted to buy everything I had of Piazza and we settled on a $160 price. I told him I would send him an invoice through Paypal.

So Saturday I got onto Paypal, and being distracted by several things, I goofed up and SENT him $160, clicking send money instead of request money. This was Saturday. Since then I have e-mailed him, Ebay messaged him, and got his phone info from Ebay and called him and left a voicemail, to ask him to refund that accidental payment back to me.

He's got 100% feedback on Ebay, all from buying, and he sent the original payment to me ASAP. I tend to believe the best about people, so I'm trying, but it's going on four days. I'm wondering if he's having an ethical dilemma.

I also thought I would try and do it the easy way and just start a Paypal claim to get the money back but within 24 hours a semi-automated response said there wasn't enough evidence to warrant claim investigation. And since this was an accidental payment, the money came from my Paypal funds, not a credit card.

This was a stupid mistake on my part, but my hope is to resolve it and at least get my funds back, and hopefully finish the Piazza transaction. So my options:

1) Continue to wait and hope for the best.

2) Call Paypal and ask them what primate or newbie looked at the resolution case request I filed.

3) ?

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
If he's an honest man then he'll get back to you, if not then it looks like you're out the $160. If he does agree to both sending you back your $$ and buying the cards just send a $320 invoice which would cover both. Best of luck with this.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
That sucks horribly. I'm sure all will work out for you in the end. When you send payment, was it for "goods/service", "gift", or what?

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
Card Magnet said:
That sucks horribly. I'm sure all will work out for you in the end. When you send payment, was it for "goods/service", "gift", or what?

I can't remember and the transaction details page doesn't include that information when I look at it...it's very strange, I could swear I hit Request Money instead of Send Money, but I must not have.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Labratt21 said:
If he does agree to both sending you back your $$ and buying the cards just send a $320 invoice which would cover both. Best of luck with this.

Actually this would be the worst way to go. You'd loose fees on the original goof, then loose fees again on the $320. The correct way to go about it would be for the other guy to cancel the wrong payment, then invoice him for the $160 he is to pay you.

I'll bet he returns your funds. IMHO, bad move jumping the gun & making the Paypal claim...

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Warren's All Stars said:
Labratt21 said:
If he does agree to both sending you back your $$ and buying the cards just send a $320 invoice which would cover both. Best of luck with this.

Actually this would be the worst way to go. You'd loose fees on the original goof, then loose fees again on the $320. The correct way to go about it would be for the other guy to cancel the wrong payment, then invoice him for the $160 he is to pay you.

I'll bet he returns your funds. IMHO, bad move jumping the gun & making the Paypal claim...

True...forgot about those transfer fees. NVM!

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
Warren's All Stars said:
Labratt21 said:

The claim was so that he wouldn't have to do anything to correct my mistake, and we were in almost daily communication about the Piazza cards, but between the time of my goof up and waiting to hear from him, I waited 72 hours so I figured I would make it easy on all parties and making the claim. Didn't see it as jumping the gun, but I can see how it could look that way.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
serving4theking said:
[The claim was so that he wouldn't have to do anything to correct my mistake, and we were in almost daily communication about the Piazza cards, but between the time of my goof up and waiting to hear from him, I waited 72 hours so I figured I would make it easy on all parties and making the claim. Didn't see it as jumping the gun, but I can see how it could look that way.

remember this also though, a pp claim can take months. from experience lol...

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Here's the deal.......he now has 160 in his account that shouldn't be there. The moment you file the dispute he now has 0, the 160 is locked in a magical place. This prevents him from transferring it to a checking account and paypal telling you they couldn't recover more than 10 cents.

The person who believes this is 'jumping the gun' is content with 10 cents.

Members online

Latest posts