Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Baseball collector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Ok well i have been collecting cards for quiet awhile but i have just now really started getting serous about it an i 99.8% only have football cards an by looking at all these post on baseball its really making me get the urge to start collecting baseball so does any body have an tips or pointers for a new baseball collector? would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
buy singles not wax. It might not be as fun, but 999/1000 you will have a much better collection.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
bouwob said:
buy singles not wax. It might not be as fun, but 999/1000 you will have a much better collection.

I cannot possibly agree more with this statement. I have found that most new collectors head to Wal-Mart and buy lots of retail boxes or head to the local hobby store and drop a good chunk of change on a hobby box whenever possible. Most of the time, you are not going to get anything that you particularly like and you are going to end up well behind your initial investment. My advice just starting out is to find a player or set that you like and buy the best cards that you can afford. You will appreciate each card more since they are of something that you like, and your collection will retain its personal value much longer this way. Best of luck!

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
bouwob said:

I cannot possibly agree anymore with this statement. I have found that most new collectors head to Wal-Mart and buy lots of retail boxes or head to the local hobby store and drop a good chunk of change on a hobby box whenever possible. Most of the time, you are not going to get anything that you particularly like and you are going to end up well behind your initial investment. My advice just starting out is to find a player or set that you like and buy the best cards that you can afford. You will appreciate each card more since they are of something that you like, and your collection will retain its personal value much longer this way. Best of luck!

yea i made that mistake with football before i came to this site an realized what it meant for all the cards an stuff i bought retail boxes all the time an i realized i could have spent that money on ten times more stuff id rather buy

RANGERS25

Jan 23, 2009
no joke, 08 bowman, and 08 bowman draft, good starts, singles get you the ones you want but every once in a while spoil yourself with a box or two.

08 bowman and 08 draft

bumgarner, borbon, heyward, laporta, price, beckham, posey, ike davis, chisenhall, engel beltre, jesus montero, and many others that would help you get a good collection started.

and about spending on football, i did the exact same thing, i would buy wax, not a lot of good stuff, then i started buying 9.5 chromes, and my collection is pretty nice now. football is hard because they can get hurt at any second, and the career is over, but remember, bseball takes time.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
bouwob said:

I cannot possibly agree anymore with this statement. I have found that most new collectors head to Wal-Mart and buy lots of retail boxes or head to the local hobby store and drop a good chunk of change on a hobby box whenever possible. Most of the time, you are not going to get anything that you particularly like and you are going to end up well behind your initial investment. My advice just starting out is to find a player or set that you like and buy the best cards that you can afford. You will appreciate each card more since they are of something that you like, and your collection will retain its personal value much longer this way. Best of luck!

agreed 100%
start picking at deals on ebay, then get to trading some of the nice stuff you acquire. wehn I started out I had no clue and blew a lot of money on a blaster-here,and a blaster -there. ..

IMO baseball collecting can be even less forgiving these days than football

RANGERS25

Jan 23, 2009
donrusscrusademan said:
Jays_Cards said:
bouwob said:

agreed 100%
start picking at deals on ebay, then get to trading some of the nice stuff you acquire. wehn I started out I had no clue and blew a lot of money on a blaster-here,and a blaster -there. ..

IMO baseball collecting can be even less forgiving these days than football

true because now a says you here about all kinds of players, but you can start looking at high draft picks, team picks of your personal team, cheap cards that will help make your collection look good, even buy some color and gamble, its the name of the game.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
I have been thinking of making a collection of Joey Devine because he went to the same high school that i go to but other then that i have no idea who to collect :lol:

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Daltonb1219 said:
I have been thinking of making a collection of Joey Devine because he went to the same high school that i go to but other then that i have no idea who to collect :lol:

buy 1 cheap pack of cards from a store... the 1st card you pull is the one you collect. :)

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
donrusscrusademan said:
Daltonb1219 said:

buy 1 cheap pack of cards from a store... the 1st card you pull is the one you collect. :)

lol good idea

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I would laugh if you did this and the first card you pulled was of jim thorpe

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
bouwob said:
:lol: i know im not to confident in doing that because id prob get some one i dont like or some one whos stuff sells for 20 bucks at the lowest

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Daltonb1219 said:
bouwob said:
:lol: i know im not to confident in doing that because id prob get some one i dont like or some one whos stuff sells for 20 bucks at the lowest

to me the player-collectors stories that revolve around fate are the best. If you did try to do that and got a weak player, thered be less cards and youd get better deals, whereas if its a strong player you could do it for a longer period of time and have more people to trade with..

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
I am not a die hard baseball collector either, 99% of my pc is football too. Find a baseball team you like and start collecting that teams hof players. My baseball pc is mainly hof autos and iconic baseball rookies.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
I got my 1st really nice baseball card today i forgot all about this card too :lol:

I got a sp prospects national honors usa game used jersey of Joey Devine!

hopefully more too come :D

Members online