Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who Is Your Brewers Top Prospect?

Top Brewers Prospect?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This is the 29th poll of 30 teams. Gamel is still eligible (has 115 AB's in the Majors), so he's included above.

Vote!

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I'm saying Lawrie just because I would love to see a good hitting catcher in a few years. Also, if he can't learn to call a major league game then he may be able to help at third, which we could use. He's got the power, so it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

It may be wrong, but I don't consider Escobar as a true "prospect," because he's currently getting a shot. But it's safe to say that he's obviously the best of those players right now, since he's actually in the majors. I think his upside is great if he can grow into his body a little more and develop some pop in his hitting. Not to be a power hitter, but to get some doubles or triples with that singles swing. His defense has already been pretty fantastic (despite an error last night).

Gamel could be great and we could use him at third as well, but he's defense is shaky to say the least, and he seems to struggle seeing major league pitching.

I would love also love to see Cain do well, because we could use a young center fielder. And I've got a few of his cards. :)

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Jeff D said:
I'm saying Lawrie just because I would love to see a good hitting catcher in a few years. Also, if he can't learn to call a major league game then he may be able to help at third, which we could use. He's got the power, so it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

It may be wrong, but I don't consider Escobar as a true "prospect," because he's currently getting a shot. But it's safe to say that he's obviously the best of those players right now, since he's actually in the majors. I think his upside is great if he can grow into his body a little more and develop some pop in his hitting. Not to be a power hitter, but to get some doubles or triples with that singles swing. His defense has already been pretty fantastic (despite an error last night).

I would love also love to see Cain do well, because we could use a young center fielder. And I've got a few of his cards. :)

I understand your reasoning, but the poll is asking who is the best Brewers prospect, not who would you like to see eventually do well. Every time one of these polls gets asked people vote for their favorite player or someone who they have a bunch of cards of. Escobar and Gamel are head and shoulders above everyone else on this list. I went with Gamel because I do not think Escobar will ever be better than an average MLB hitter.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
I understand your reasoning, but the poll is asking who is the best Brewers prospect, not who would you like to see eventually do well. Every time one of these polls gets asked people vote for their favorite player or someone who they have a bunch of cards of.

I think I gave some reasons why I think they would do well, and only mentioned Cain because of the cards I have of him.

And being needed in a position is a real requirement for succeeding. You can't excel if you can't get any playing time. Their "top prospect" imo is the best player filling the biggest hole. I think Lawrie and has the potential to do that in a few years. As could Cain.

Some people felt Laporta was their "top prospect" but he had nowhere to go, so he was only useful as trade bait.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Count me out of the Lowrie lovers. I realize that he is only 19 and already in AA, but his AA numbers are horrible so far. I have seen him twice in person, and both times he was VERY unimpressive.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jays_Cards said:
Count me out of the Lowrie lovers. I realize that he is only 19 and already in AA, but his AA numbers are horrible so far. I have seen him twice in person, and both times he was VERY unimpressive.

His numbers are horrible, probably, because he doesn't really belong in AA, but rather the FSL. He's a 19 year old playing pro ball for the first time, plus he's Canadian, meaning he hasn't been exposed to nearly as much high end competition and talent that most highly touted prospects his age have seen. Just a guess though.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
Jays_Cards said:

I have seen him play about 10 times, and every time he looked disinterested. He is not a good defender at second, and looks terrible on anything offspeed.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Brett Keith said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":215adwil]Count me out of the Lowrie lovers. I realize that he is only 19 and already in AA, but his AA numbers are horrible so far. I have seen him twice in person, and both times he was VERY unimpressive.

His numbers are horrible, probably, because he doesn't really belong in AA, but rather the FSL. He's a 19 year old playing pro ball for the first time, plus he's Canadian, meaning he hasn't been exposed to nearly as much high end competition and talent that most highly touted prospects his age have seen. Just a guess though.[/quote:215adwil]

All noted in my post. I still maintain that he will never be above a utility MLBer. Just a difference of opinion, I guess.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
For me...

1 - Alcides Escobar
2 - Brett Lawrie
3 - Mat Gamel

Agreed.

But if I have to pick an "other", I'll of course go with Logan Schafer, maybe Eric Farris. They'll be further up on this list in a year or 2.

And I love me some LoCain. Just hope this injury-season doesn't mess with him. Best pure natual athlete in the organization.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
hive17 said:
Brett Keith said:
For me...

1 - Alcides Escobar
2 - Brett Lawrie
3 - Mat Gamel

Agreed.

But if I have to pick an "other", I'll of course go with Logan Schafer, maybe Eric Farris. They'll be further up on this list in a year or 2.

And I love me some LoCain. Just hope this injury-season doesn't mess with him. Best pure natual athlete in the organization.

I'm looking for/hoping for Kentrail Davis and Cameron Garfield to place themselves high up on the list this time next season. Also like Max Walla and Scooter Gennett from this past draft.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Bump, for the night crew.

I'll be creating the 30th and final poll tomorrow night at around this time.

Latest posts