Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A few MLB observations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
As the season winds down, here are a few of my thoughts on some MLB topics. These are my opinions, so take them for what they're worth:

1. Derek Holland will be one of the top pitches in baseball when he starts throwing strikes consistently.
2. The D Backs, A's, and prospectors gave up too quickly on Carlos Gonzalez.
3. Ozzie Guillen and Kevin Youkilis are the 2 biggest whiners in baseball.
4. The Rangers have succeeded in spite of Ron Washington, not because of him.
5. I'm now a believe in Nolan Ryan's theory that today's pitchers are underworked.
6. Ed Wade is the worst GM in baseball.
7. Vladimir Guerrero is getting old fast.
8. The years of drugs have taken their toll on Josh Hamilton and he's out of the game in 5 years.
9. I hate the Yankees but don't hold it against them that they can and do buy whomever they want.
10. Closers are overrated.
11. Pittsburgh is rebuilding their team nicely and will greatly improve in the next 2 years.
12. Florida is a bad state for baseball and I don't know that new stadiums are going to help much.
13. OBP is not overrated.
14. The Mets will have trouble signing offensive free agents if they don't do something about the dimensions of the field.
15. What Tim Lincecum does at his size is amazing.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
WJCIII said:
As the season winds down, here are a few of my thoughts on some MLB topics. These are my opinions, so take them for what they're worth:

1. Derek Holland will be one of the top pitches in baseball when he starts throwing strikes consistently. He was of the top 10 minor league SPs coming into season
2. The D Backs, A's, and prospectors gave up too quickly on Carlos Gonzalez. Some decent guys were involved when he was traded
5. I'm now a believe in Nolan Ryan's theory that today's pitchers are underworked.
8. The years of drugs have taken their toll on Josh Hamilton and he's out of the game in 5 years. Bold prediction
9. I hate the Yankees but don't hold it against them that they can and do buy whomever they want.
10. Closers are overrated. Say that to a Cubs fan. K Gregg.
11. Pittsburgh is rebuilding their team nicely and will greatly improve in the next 2 years. 18 straight losing seasons. I think it might reach 22-25
12. Florida is a bad state for baseball and I don't know that new stadiums are going to help much.
14. The Mets will have trouble signing offensive free agents if they don't do something about the dimensions of the field.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Nice post, I'm actually working on a list like this for my new b log. Probably won't be up for a couple weeks yet, but it's fun to make, and I certainly enjoyed reading yours.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Nice post, I'm actually working on a list like this for my new b log. Probably won't be up for a couple weeks yet, but it's fun to make, and I certainly enjoyed reading yours.
Same here, imo, a few things are a bit off, but nice read nevertheless!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
WJCIII said:

In response:
5. I think that we'll know more about the Rangers pitchers in the next few years. No way to know yet what the long term ramifications will be.
10. I definitely agree about closers.
15. What Lincecum does at any size is amazing!!

Other notes:

Jon Lester is going to be good for a long time. He's upped his K's while keeping everything else the same as last season, and if not for an extremely unlucky BABIP to start the season (which bumped his ERA up significantly early) and a stretch where he could not buy a win despite pitching really well (before his last two games he had given up 10 runs total in his previous outings and had only one win to show for it) his record would look far better.

Prince Fielder is one of the best players in baseball.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Not that it wasn't already known, but without pitching, your team cannot win. Period.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Topnotchsy said:
WJCIII said:

In response:
5. I think that we'll know more about the Rangers pitchers in the next few years. No way to know yet what the long term ramifications will be.
10. I definitely agree about closers.
15. What Lincecum does at any size is amazing!!

Other notes:

Jon Lester is going to be good for a long time. He's upped his K's while keeping everything else the same as last season, and if not for an extremely unlucky BABIP to start the season (which bumped his ERA up significantly early) and a stretch where he could not buy a win despite pitching really well (before his last two games he had given up 10 runs total in his previous outings and had only one win to show for it) his record would look far better.

Prince Fielder is one of the best players in baseball.

10. is the most true thing in baseball right now. Every team acts like they have a Rivera or Nathan. When in reality they should just keep going with the hot hand that night. Burning through the bullpen just finds the guy that doesn't have it that night. Sure if you have a great closer use him, but most teams don't have anyone more valuable than any other guy in the pen.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I would bet that more runs have been scored per inning from the 7th on throughout the league than is given up by starters.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
I agree with everything on this list, especially the Ron Washington one, he is TERRIBLE at managing a game, if he was our bench coach and Buck was our manager we'd have 5-10 more wins, Wash is terrible at knowing when to pull pitchers, what pitchers to put in in certain situations and knowing where to bat people in the lineup. The only good thing he does it make the guys play defense and getting them to hustle. Nolan Ryan and Mike Maddux have everything to do with the pitching staff not Wash. Also I have to agree with the Hamilton statement too, the reason he's out now is fatigue, I'm also reading his book and he's lucky to even be alive period with all the stupid **** he did, let alone playing a 110 game season...

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
WJCIII said:

1. Derek Holland will be one of the top pitches in baseball when he starts throwing strikes consistently.
8. The years of drugs have taken their toll on Josh Hamilton and he's out of the game in 5 years.
11. Pittsburgh is rebuilding their team nicely and will greatly improve in the next 2 years.

I like these two.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
AKA Coastal said:
WJCIII said:

I like these two.
Why? Do you like how his balls just drop?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
AKA Coastal said:
WJCIII said:

I like these two.
Why? Do you like how his balls just drop?
No, but I know someone who does

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
heres another....miguel cabrera could win mvp....and he wasnt even voted to the all star game ::facepalm::

o yeah and one more....youkilis is a ***** who throws helmets....and still gets thrown down by a 20 year old haha

haha.jpg

Members online

Latest posts