Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Read: The 40 Most Undeserving MLB SLU Figures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
What's funny about SLU now is that the scurbs that knowbody wanted when we were kdis are worth the most money. I have a bunch of SLU. I have all of Larry Birds and the original Dream Team.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Eh, that's amusing, but they're mostly taken out of context. You can't just make the HOFers every year, or it'd get really boring. The lead time to produce SLUs was at least 6 months, so basically you'd have to finalize the next year's lineup before the current season was done. If someone's the ROY in 1989, why is it bad to make a 1990 figure of him? Obviously, 20 years later one can wonder why a baseball card was made of some of these guys, let alone a figure. Plus, the game has changed in some respects. In the 80s, a shortstop hitting more than 10 homers a year was still out of character, so that's no reason to denigrate them. There are some real stinkers in there, though, I have to admit. Pete Stanicek? Oy.

The domain name is pretty funny, though.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Fun to read that and see the old figures! Sad to see Marc Newfield on the list as he was a hometown guy that I still collect. :)

braves2008champs

Aug 7, 2008
I have a Shane Mack packed away at my parents. Thought he would've made the list :lol:

On a side note, I remember dropping so much money as a kid on these guys. I would save up to buy older Cal Ripkens that the store had - I was also big into the Headliners when they started. Probably have 2 tubs full of this stuff...

Members online

Latest posts