Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is now the time to invest..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
in young stars of playoff teams?

I'm not going to name names, but would it be smart to invest in young stars of some of the locks of playoff teams like the Dodgers, Phillies, Cardinals, Yankees, Tigers, Angels, etc?

Considering every game in the playoffs will be nationally televised, if they do anything worthwhile, you'll see a nice price increase, correct?

If someone has already debated this topic, I'm sorry. Just something I just started to wonder.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
There is never a 'now' time.

You just have to buy in before the 'hype' and sell when hot! If you can find a player making it in to the playoffs that is still relatively cheap, and poised for exposure and hype, then it's time to buy.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:
There is never a 'now' time.

You just have to buy in before the 'hype' and sell when hot! If you can find a player making it in to the playoffs that is still relatively cheap, and poised for exposure and hype, then it's time to buy.

I know there's never a "now" time, I suppose I worded that wrong.

But I totally understand the concept of what you're saying. You can actually buy in the hype, and sell when there's even more hype. I've done this with Tommy Hanson, Madison Bumgarner, Jason Heyward, etc.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
angelsrockies4ever said:
Tulo may be good to invest in...

Erick Aybar also might be one if he has enough cards.

Yeah, I'm actually sitting on a few Tulo cards.

Aybar could be a really nice one, but it seems like his stock has risen quite a bit as well.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its always a great time to sell when that player is in the news for anything remotely positive.

Conversely it is always a terrible time to buy when that player is in the news for anything remotely positive.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
uniquebaseballcards said:
Its always a great time to sell when that player is in the news for anything remotely positive.

Conversely it is always a terrible time to buy when that player is in the news for anything remotely positive.
Yeah and they give you cash, which is just as good as money!
[youtube:3pltkdyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-EZf56AfYc[/youtube:3pltkdyk]

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
if giants make it, lincecum and pablo are ones you should target

dodgers- buy those kemp chrome autos!

cardinals- dump all your holliday autos

yankees- well ya...

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
The best time to invest in anyone is the offseason, period. If you can pick the young players for next years playoff teams this december, consider yourself a genius.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I wonder how much value a WS would add to most NYY and Boston cards. These players are in the spotlight every night. The younger guys are lesser known and probably have the most room for a quick pop. See Jacoby Ellsbury a couple years ago. I don't imagine a herd of new Jeter and Arod buyers (not that Arod does much in the playoffs anyway). Texas Ranger investors would have a lot to gain if that team could manage to leapfrog Boston for a playoff spot. Lots of young relatively unknown players waiting for a card price spark. The Dodgers have some younger players like Loney, Kemp, and Kershaw. Tigers are not particularly exciting although Porcello is not a household name yet who could see a nice demand boost. The Angels have Kendry Morales, a guy I'm surprised hasn't gained much hobby steam this year. His cards are still cheap. Jered Weaver is solid pitcher most don't hear about on a regular basis. Colorado has a few young players on the team but outside of Holliday a couple years ago there mas not much value added when the team made it to the WS. Outside of Pujols and a lesser extent Holliday, the StL roster gets little hobby love. Carpenter cards are a dime a dozen and Bowman Best rookies are out there for a few bucks each. Despite being a strong Cy candidate, Adam Wainwright is largely a nobody. Plenty of players out there for potential investments and a few of them appear to be strong solid longer term investments win or lose in the playoffs.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
The best time to invest in anyone is the offseason, period. If you can pick the young players for next years playoff teams this december, consider yourself a genius.

I know the offseason is the best time to pick up cards for low prices, but with the playoffs coming up, and each team having a few young stars who could have a great postseason, I figured maybe it'd be a nice possible quick flip.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Skorris CCBC said:
brouthercard said:

I know the offseason is the best time to pick up cards for low prices, but with the playoffs coming up, and each team having a few young stars who could have a great postseason, I figured maybe it'd be a nice possible quick flip.

I agree it's possible, but the window of opportunity is pretty small during the playoffs considering the teams/players that will actually make it to the world series, and some players cards are already heating up heading into the playoffs, so buying new ones now I think would be a higher risk/lower reward. Besides, football is starting to heat up and baseball ratings have been dead. Take a chance, but be prepared to sit on some dead inventory if the player's team is ousted early in the playoffs....

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
f2tornado said:
I wonder how much value a WS would add to most NYY and Boston cards. These players are in the spotlight every night. The younger guys are lesser known and probably have the most room for a quick pop. See Jacoby Ellsbury a couple years ago. I don't imagine a herd of new Jeter and Arod buyers (not that Arod does much in the playoffs anyway). Texas Ranger investors would have a lot to gain if that team could manage to leapfrog Boston for a playoff spot. Lots of young relatively unknown players waiting for a card price spark. The Dodgers have some younger players like Loney, Kemp, and Kershaw. Tigers are not particularly exciting although Porcello is not a household name yet who could see a nice demand boost. The Angels have Kendry Morales, a guy I'm surprised hasn't gained much hobby steam this year. His cards are still cheap. Jered Weaver is solid pitcher most don't hear about on a regular basis. Colorado has a few young players on the team but outside of Holliday a couple years ago there mas not much value added when the team made it to the WS. Outside of Pujols and a lesser extent Holliday, the StL roster gets little hobby love. Carpenter cards are a dime a dozen and Bowman Best rookies are out there for a few bucks each. Despite being a strong Cy candidate, Adam Wainwright is largely a nobody. Plenty of players out there for potential investments and a few of them appear to be strong solid longer term investments win or lose in the playoffs.

Yup, this is pretty much exactly what I'm saying.

I was really thinking about Texas with all their young stars, but it's still iffy if they'll make the playoffs, so I'm staying away for now.

I was actually just looking up Kemp, Kershaw, and Ethier earlier, and I can definitely see a nice price increase.

The Angels seem to have a few nice potential flips in Morales, Aybar, Weaver, etc, so I was definitely considering them as well.

As for the Cardinals, totally agree. Rasmus probably won't get enough playing time to summon a price increase. Other than Rasmus, no one really has a potential to increase. I was thinking possibly Skip Schumaker, but I don't see anyone outside of diehard Cardinal fans going after him if he gets hot.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
bikerider60 said:
Weedhopper... Have your fun , but time will tell.

Haha, what?

I'm not a prospector if that's what you're trying to say.

I'm a team collector and a player collector first, and sometimes I buy prospects just to fund some more money to buy more Cardinals or Wainwright. I'm not in this hobby for the money.

Latest posts