Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is "overrated" overrated?

Is "overrated" overrated?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Someone wrote this in an earlier thread (Brett Keith, in the Jeter thread, I think?), but I too have come to the conclusion that overrated is overrated.

What do you think?

:)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I believe that a very large percentage of arguments that develop are because most of us assign slightly different definitions to words (or never really care to determine what the actual definition is.) There is a discussion on the General Chat Boards about the definition of the word "good" and it makes it abundantly obvious that many commonly used words can be very hard to define and are used by people who may not even really be considering what the actual definition of the word is.

"Overrated" is one of the easiest words to use to start an argument. Some people take it for its literal meaning (rated higher than deserving; regardless of whether the subject deserves a low rating and gets a high one, or deserves a second place rating and gets a first place one.) Others translate the word to mean "bad." Even while using the first definition few ever really take the time to explain what scale they are using (pricing of cards, perceived "fandom" etc.) and this often leads to arguments where each side thinks the other is ridiculous, simply because they have translated the word differently.

Using the second definition (that "overrated" means "bad" ) creates even more conflict as the two sides are often not even translating the word the same way.

Of course since the goal anyway is not attempt to become enlightened or anything else, and is usually just a case of egos butting heads, the discussion usually ends up in some form of a "my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy" or "I'm an internet tough guy and you are a moron" which lasts a little while with both sides convinced that they have "outmanned" the other.

So is "overrated" overrated? Depends on how you want to define it...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd like to add that the "bad" connotation the term 'overrated' has is sometimes accurate.

In this context it essentially means that a player/card was intentionally spoken about in an exaggerated way, usually to a seller's potential benefit.

Sometimes its all about connotation :)

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
Topnotchsy said:
I believe that a very large percentage of arguments that develop are because most of us assign slightly different definitions to words (or never really care to determine what the actual definition is.) There is a discussion on the General Chat Boards about the definition of the word "good" and it makes it abundantly obvious that many commonly used words can be very hard to define and are used by people who may not even really be considering what the actual definition of the word is.

"Overrated" is one of the easiest words to use to start an argument. Some people take it for its literal meaning (rated higher than deserving; regardless of whether the subject deserves a low rating and gets a high one, or deserves a second place rating and gets a first place one.) Others translate the word to mean "bad." Even while using the first definition few ever really take the time to explain what scale they are using (pricing of cards, perceived "fandom" etc.) and this often leads to arguments where each side thinks the other is ridiculous, simply because they have translated the word differently.

Using the second definition (that "overrated" means "bad" ) creates even more conflict as the two sides are often not even translating the word the same way.

Of course since the goal anyway is not attempt to become enlightened or anything else, and is usually just a case of egos butting heads, the discussion usually ends up in some form of a "my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy" or "I'm an internet tough guy and you are a moron" which lasts a little while with both sides convinced that they have "outmanned" the other.

So is "overrated" overrated? Depends on how you want to define it...

GREAT POST!!!! So true. Many do not know the actual meaning of "overrated," among other words. You hit the nail right on the head. A player can be both "overrated" and a superstar at the same time. This concept is foreign to many folks.

Members online