Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When will Paypal catch on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
So I am starting to sell a little more and been receiving money as a "Gift".

Do you think Paypal will ever catch on and take this option away or limit it (5/month)?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Ha. I used it last month to save $60 in fees. I sent the cards to another party, and they sent me the $ upon receipt. Can't ask for better than that!

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, I am trustworthy (selling to people). You can ask anyone I deal with on here.

I don't send as gift for anything over 10 bucks.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
The "gift" with no fees only applies if it comes directly out of your bank account. If you use a credit card for payment, there are fees associated with it that you can pass on to the $$ recipient or you can absorb yourself.

I ALWAYS pay with a credit card to give myself an extra layer of protection. When items are put on Ebay, the seller should factor fees into everything and hope for the best. There is no way that I would pay for something bought on Ebay directly from my checking account. Paypal and Ebay do not protect nearly as much as my credit card company does.

David

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
tonsofcommons said:
I pay with Paypal balance and very rarely, from my bank account.

I never pay with paypal balance, always use my CC. Extra layer of protection. I also take my funds out of my pp account whenever this is anything in there in case of a ridiculous chargeback.

And I will only pay as a gift if it is a person I completely trust

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
phillyfan0417 said:
EricInCT said:
phillyfan0417 said:
I hope you really trust the person on the other end because if you have an issue, you're on an island all your own...

100% not true.

Ok, explain.

You file a dispute paypal locks their funds then an email comes your way with the tracking number that was suppose to be provided 2 days earlier :D works like a charm.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
EricInCT said:
phillyfan0417 said:
EricInCT said:
phillyfan0417 said:
I hope you really trust the person on the other end because if you have an issue, you're on an island all your own...

100% not true.

Ok, explain.

You file a dispute paypal locks their funds then an email comes your way with the tracking number that was suppose to be provided 2 days earlier :D works like a charm.

you can't file a chargeback on payments sent as a gift

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
cgilmo said:
EricInCT said:
phillyfan0417 said:
EricInCT said:
phillyfan0417 said:

100% not true.

Ok, explain.

you can't file a chargeback on payments sent as a gift

Thats what i thought as well...

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Believe what you want, it took the paypal out of the guy's account when I opened the dispute.

Maybe I tagged it as "payment owed" rather than gift.....doesn't make any difference when fees are concerned.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
EricInCT said:
Believe what you want, it took the paypal out of the guy's account when I opened the dispute.

Maybe I tagged it as "payment owed" rather than gift.....doesn't make any difference when fees are concerned.

you are thinking the wrong type of transaction

we are referring to the personal tab, gift option that takes out no fees at all

in this type of transaction there can be no chargeback because of the nature of the payment.

It is sent as a gift, there is NO transaction, so there fore no action required from the receiver in the eyes of paypal.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
cgilmo said:
paypal is fully aware and glad this is going on

this is an intended function, as is made apparent on all ebay/paypal communications

Why would they be glad that they are missing out on fees they would otherwise be earning?

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
tonsofcommons said:
cgilmo said:
paypal is fully aware and glad this is going on

this is an intended function, as is made apparent on all ebay/paypal communications

Why would they be glad that they are missing out on fees they would otherwise be earning?

Probably means they'll raise fees for non-gifts to cover. Like what eBay did when they lowered the insertion fee but "adjusted" their final value fees.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I just received my cards from you today and am very happy with them. When I buy and sell off ebay, I will always try to use this option. The only exception is with higher dollar items and/or I'm dealing with someone I'm not familiar with.

Latest posts