Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Donruss Preferred All Star Fanfest Tins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Hello again. I stumbled across this auction on eBay the other day...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-GOLD-DONRUSS-P ... 0250025038

When I first saw it, I looked like this: :D

I think I've found the 1997 Donruss Preferred All Star Fanfest Tins - and it looks like they ahve gold accents instead of the usual red.

Can anyone confirm this and/or speculate about rarity?

Also, let me know if you need the Jeter or Piazza, but they are mighty tough!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Lance Tanaka is going to be pleased that you found these.

I think you've found them too. I always double check when a Thomas is listed. No luck so far.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
I want to say yes too. I opened a **** LOAD of 97 preferred and those are NOT the gold tins nor are they the regular ones. gotta be AS.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
I shouldn't even be online as I have an ongoing project - but Magic just emailed me this link and I had to stop in.

<looking at scan>

Whoa. :shock:

If this can be confirmed with a good scan/image - you've solved one of the hobby's big mysteries (at least in my opinion). Not quite the 'Rosetta Stone' - which I reserve for the '98 Donruss Collections Samples, but very damn close.

Here I was about to publish what I believed to be a decade-old misunderstanding of this issue --- and now this.

<thinking>

My biggest fear is that the image was taken off angle or somesuch and what we're looking at are standard tins. Believe me, I've been down this road before with weird camera angles, flashes making things change color, inexpensive cameras, etc.

Still, if confirmed, you have my congratulations. <nod>

Cannot wait to see these with a good image. :mrgreen:

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
HawaiianLance said:
I shouldn't even be online as I have an ongoing project - but Magic just emailed me this link and I had to stop in.

<looking at scan>

If this can be confirmed with a good scan/image - you've solved one of the hobby's big mysteries (at least in my opinion). Not quite the 'Rosetta Stone' - which I reserve for the '98 Donruss Collections Samples, but very damn close.

Here I was about to publish what I believed to be a decade-old misunderstanding of this issue --- and now this.

<thinking>

My biggest fear is that the image was taken off angle or somesuch and what we're looking at are standard tins. Believe me, I've been down this road before with weird camera angles, flashes making things change color, inexpensive cameras, etc.

I'm looking at all my tins now...I really dont seehow an angle or camera could make the red go gold.,, its an up down angle too. No way these are red

!B,!N57QB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlzqhLBKp,UUpEyw~~_12.jpg

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
Rudzud said:
HawaiianLance said:

<looking at scan>

<thinking>

I'm looking at all my tins now...I really dont seehow an angle or camera could make the red go gold.,, its an up down angle too. No way these are red

!B,!N57QB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlzqhLBKp,UUpEyw~~_12.jpg
So I did some snoopin on beckett. I would say these are 100% confirmed!

Heres an image of the 97 Fan Fest Tins:

8839980101.jpg

PERFECT MATCH

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
I know, with 100% certainty, that fan fest tins show up on ebay yearly. When I was on my Precious Metals quest I was buying tins left and right, daily tin searched, etc.

I would say, over 2 years, I saw gold trim tins pop up 8+ times. I never paid them any heed, as they were empty and therefor useless to me.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
Jack Straw said:
Rudzud said:
[quote="Jack Straw":1gi6i330]Can anyone tell me what's in these tins?

Nothing, they are empty.

Seriously?[/quote:1gi6i330]

Yes

These tins are quiet rare. Only given out at the 1997 Fan Fest.

I'm assuming you open wax....do you save all of your packs after you remove the cards? Most normal people throw said wrapper away. Well, these tins were the wrappers. Most people threw them out. Like I had said earlier, these suckers aren't common and apparhently I'm the only one who's seen these on ebay in the past.

A very tough find.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Rudzud said:
PERFECT MATCH

Rud - by no means am I excluding or repudiating your previous sightings - truth be told, I honestly never heard you speak of them previously.

I'm just one collector with one perspective - and we hobbyists are legion, meaning there's room for several viewpoints; of course with the ultimate goal of having a final, verifiable and solid answer that is universally accepted.

If it's an issue of credit, I will certainly do so on the site that I run - I have no stake per se in 'who saw it first' and will happily make mention of everyone/anyone who can verifiably prove to their discoveries.

And speaking of which, we (myself included) all remember with fondness, your long journey to bust an elusive Precious Metals. So I know you know what these tins look like, how they were issued, etc.

But your recollections of seeing the All-Star variant are just that - I have misgivings about recollections or sightings because they're often colored (no pun intended) by time. If you saved the scans/images - I know I would LOVE to see them. If only to help clarify this mystery.

And speaking of scans/images - I do repudiate the Beckett image. I'm sorry but I don't take anything Beckett puts out as fact until it can be independently verified by others in our hobby. Their research is laughable and rife with shortcomings, misunderstandings, outright mistakes, and possibly fraud. I myself easily created a gold tin with simple Photoshop tools. Just because Beckett puts it on their site - doesn't mean they haven't been played.

Now, we can disagree on Beckett's reliability or function as the hobby's 'go-to' source. But I hope you leave open the door when it comes to others who see them as seriously flawed & inadequate. (Lord, I love saying that without having to worry about being banned!)

I've worked on this issue since it's release and have only sporadic collector sightings about the "highlighted gold" versus the majority of reports about the unnumbered "all gold" - which I can verify. Believe me, I tried. This is only one board that I keep tabs on; several of which have long since passed into history. But I'm always open to the possibility that reports of the 'highlighted' versions are accurate. The fact that I give credence to these reports, yours included, means that I have an open mind on the subject.

It may be that you're entirely correct - and as I said - I always credit where due. Presuming Chris won that lot of three tins (he's offering the other two that aren't of Griffey - but not using his normal *thekurdelskis* account) we'll have that answer soon enough.

But if it turns out that it doesn't and they aren't - I just hope you're equally open to the possibility that this is indeed a skewed image.

WaxHeaven/Mario If you're reading this - I haven't forgotten about you. I've been extremely busy of late and I honestly haven't had a chance to sit down and work on it. HOWEVER, I think I may have found my subject. (see above) <g> Will try to get it to you by the end of the month.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
HawaiianLance said:
Rudzud said:
PERFECT MATCH

Rud - by no means am I excluding or repudiating your previous sightings - truth be told, I honestly never heard you speak of them previously.

I'm just one collector with one perspective - and we hobbyists are legion, meaning there's room for several viewpoints; of course with the ultimate goal of having a final, verifiable and solid answer that is universally accepted.

If it's an issue of credit, I will certainly do so on the site that I run - I have no stake per se in 'who saw it first' and will happily make mention of everyone/anyone who can verifiably prove to their discoveries.

And speaking of which, we (myself included) all remember with fondness, your long journey to bust an elusive Precious Metals. So I know you know what these tins look like, how they were issued, etc.

But your recollections of seeing the All-Star variant are just that - I have misgivings about recollections or sightings because they're often colored (no pun intended) by time. If you saved the scans/images - I know I would LOVE to see them. If only to help clarify this mystery.

And speaking of scans/images - I do repudiate the Beckett image. I'm sorry but I don't take anything Beckett puts out as fact until it can be independently verified by others in our hobby. Their research is laughable and rife with shortcomings, misunderstandings, outright mistakes, and possibly fraud. I myself easily created a gold tin with simple Photoshop tools. Just because Beckett puts it on their site - doesn't mean they haven't been played.

Now, we can disagree on Beckett's reliability or function as the hobby's 'go-to' source. But I hope you leave open the door when it comes to others who see them as seriously flawed & inadequate. (Lord, I love saying that without having to worry about being banned!)

I've worked on this issue since it's release and have only sporadic collector sightings about the "highlighted gold" versus the majority of reports about the unnumbered "all gold" - which I can verify. Believe me, I tried. This is only one board that I keep tabs on; several of which have long since passed into history. But I'm always open to the possibility that reports of the 'highlighted' versions are accurate. The fact that I give credence to these reports, yours included, means that I have an open mind on the subject.

It may be that you're entirely correct - and as I said - I always credit where due. Presuming Chris won that lot of three tins (he's offering the other two that aren't of Griffey - but not using his normal *thekurdelskis* account) we'll have that answer soon enough.

But if it turns out that it doesn't and they aren't - I just hope you're equally open to the possibility that this is indeed a skewed image.

WaxHeaven/Mario If you're reading this - I haven't forgotten about you. I've been extremely busy of late and I honestly haven't had a chance to sit down and work on it. HOWEVER, I think I may have found my subject. (see above) <g> Will try to get it to you by the end of the month.

Oh heck yeah, I mean, it just seems weird to me that a camera or or such would would make the picture fine yet JUST the red area gold? I mean, you'd almost have to photoshop to do something like that. That being said, I've never saved scans of the stuff because a) they were useless to me and b) I had zero clue people were trying to quest for these things. Goodness, I dont want any credit about this :lol: After all, its our other lovely chap who might have just procured some. . All I did was provide what appears to be a fanfest scan from beckett images and offer my opinion. We all know that those tins are not the standard gold ones (as those are all gold) nor are they some other year (1998 tins). I personally feel that they have to be the fan fest as those sure as heck dont look to be normal tins. If that was a picture flaw, or someone on ebay tweaked the images in photoshop, I will eat my hat sir!

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
Jeff N. said:
Why does the seller say "1997 RED DONRUSS PREFERRED 3 EMPTY TIN BOXES."?

Yeah, thats pretty screwy. If I received red tins, I would file a chargeback, as they wouldn't match the tins in the image.

Latest posts