Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Washington Redskins Name in Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hazeofgreen

May 4, 2009
LOL this is ridiculously redundant. I don't think it will ever happen.

BUt who knows, maybe a name change will help us be more than mediocre.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
madman1978 said:
Well if they do
then the Cleveland Indians Atlanta Braves Florida State Seminoles and I am sure there are a ton more , will have to follow suit
All would be offensive
Just a bunch of PC idiots with NOTHING to do looking to start something up again
FSU actually has an agreement that they made with the Seminole tribe to use them as their team name.

I think they should have to change it, because having FSU bearing any person or groups name is a direct insult to said person/group :lol:

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
madman1978 said:
Well if they do
then the Cleveland Indians Atlanta Braves Florida State Seminoles and I am sure there are a ton more , will have to follow suit
All would be offensive
Just a bunch of PC idiots with NOTHING to do looking to start something up again

Agreed.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I remember that this was tried before a few years ago and failed. I would expect the same this time around.

I really don't think that "Redksins" is any more offensive than the ND "Fighting Irish". I don't get pissed off because Notre Dame uses a mascot depicting an Irish guy fighting (I have a strong Irish heritage on my mother's side).

I find it funny that some columnists writing in favor of the group going after the Redskins name keep saying "Indian(s)" when referring to the group and "Native Americans". Isn't Indian also an improper term as well? It was a word given to them by the white man because they thought America was the Indies.

I think that people sometimes look too hard at things.

Perhaps they should change their logo to this :
rooster.jpg

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
The ACLU is also trying to have the Padres, Angels, and Saints change their names on religous grounds. The New Jersey Devils, however, will be allowed to keep their name.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I also find the Vikings offensive. The correct term is "Nordic European".

I also have a problem with my favorite teams name, the "Cowboys". It should be "Cowpersons", so as not to sexually discriminate.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
yankees23657 said:
its a racist term, it shouldnt be used, simple as that

Agreed. It goes way too far past the line, and I think Cleveland should think about a change in LOGO, maybe not the name, but I know the logo chaps some people up.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
yankees23657 said:

In this case I think you may want to change you username (as well as the Yankees should follow suit & change thier's):

"The origins of "Yankee" have been fiercely debated throughout the history of the Republic, and to this day the Oxford English Dictionary says the source of the word is "unascertained." Perhaps the most widely accepted explanation was advanced by H.L. Mencken, the well-known newsman-scholar (and don't tell me that isn't an unusual combination), who argued that Yankee derives from the expression Jan Kaas, literally "John Cheese." This supposedly was a derogatory nickname bestowed on the Dutch by the Germans and the Flemish in the 1600s. (Wisconsin cheeseheads can undoubtedly relate.)

The English later applied the term to Dutch pirates, and later still Dutch settlers in New York applied it to English settlers in Connecticut, who were known for their piratical trading practices. During the French and Indian War the British general James Wolfe took to referring derisively to the native New Englanders in his army as Yankees, and the term was widely popularized during the Revolutionary War by the song "Yankee Doodle." By the war's end, of course, the colonists had perversely adopted the term as their own. Southerners used Yankee pejoratively to describe Northerners during the Civil War, but found themselves, along with all other Americans, called thus by the English during world wars I and II. "

Don't be so quick to ridicule something until you cover all of your base's! :lol: ;)

yankees23657

Aug 7, 2008
gt2590 said:
yankees23657 said:

Agreed. It goes way too far past the line, and I think Cleveland shoud think about a change in LOGO, maybe not the name, but I know the logo chaps some people up.

Thank you. Im sure there would be plenty of people complaining if a team was named the "White Skins" or the "Black Skins"

The team name is simply acknowledging the fact that whoever came up with the name saw enough of a difference in Native Americans to name a team after them. And it in no way honors Native Americans.
-Aaron

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
yankees23657 said:
gt2590 said:
yankees23657 said:

Agreed. It goes way too far past the line, and I think Cleveland shoud think about a change in LOGO, maybe not the name, but I know the logo chaps some people up.

Thank you. Im sure there would be plenty of people complaining if a team was named the "White Skins" or the "Black Skins"

The team name is simply acknowledging the fact that whoever came up with the name saw enough of a difference in Native Americans to name a team after them. And it in no way honors Native Americans.
-Aaron

I can tell you personally I'd have no problem if a team were called "White Skins"... Anyone who has thier feeling's hurt over something like this has bigger problem's to deal with... :D

yankees23657

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
yankees23657 said:
gt2590 said:
yankees23657 said:

-Aaron

I can tell you personally I'd have no problem if a team were called "White Skins"... Anyone who has thier feeling's hurt over something like this has bigger problem's to deal with... :D

Well, i took an Intro. to Native American Studies class my sophomore year and the Professor said that the term is equivalent to the derogatory term that some people use to call African Americans. If a person is okay with that word as well, then i think they have much bigger problems to deal with. Just because many people use racist terms, it does not make it right or justified.
-Aaron

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
yankees23657 said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
yankees23657 said:
gt2590 said:
yankees23657 said:

-Aaron

Well, i took an Intro. to Native American Studies class my sophomore year and the Professor said that the term is equivalent to the derogatory term that some people use to call African Americans. If a person is okay with that word as well, then i think they have much bigger problems to deal with. Just because many people use racist terms, it does not make it right or justified.
-Aaron

So does the name Yankees bother you? You did read my post on pg 1 correct (curious as you did not respond)? I would not take offense to any "word" or "term" used by anyone to describe me or my race, if I let what another person says get to me then I would have issue's (mental in state)...Anyone that allows another individual's "term's" or "name calling's" get to them needs to find something bigger to spend thier time worrying about. Things like that only effect someone if they allow it to...I'm a bigboy now & the whole "stick's & stone's" rings true! :D

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I come from an Irish family with a small mix of African and Choctaw. All 4 of the names that led to mine (all grandparents) are either Irish or Scotch. We've lived in this area since 1867. The town in which I live was a cross of Irish and Belgian because those groups weren't allowed to live further in the heart of the city.

When I was a kid it wasn't the thing to be, an Irish, poor kid. All the sudden now, the thing to be is Irish. Any cultural festival with the Irish name on it has a majority to do with booze, toss in some music and a bit of dancing and you've got them.

The difference between a slave and an Irishman was that a slave is that a slave would not be killed when an Irishman would. I guess what I'm saying is most of us get **** on.

Members online

Latest posts