Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Winter Meetings Thread (Post Rumors, Trades & Signings)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Lets try and keep all the Winter Meeting stuff in one thread. So feel free to post any rumors, trades or signings in here.

Report: Tigers acquire Laird from Rangers

Roto World said:
A source told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Rangers have agreed to trade Gerald Laird to the Tigers for Guillermo Moscoso and a second prospect.
It looks like a nice trade for the Tigers. Moscoso could be a No. 3 starter, and the Tigers can scarcely afford to give up pitching. However, he's already 25, he's yet to pitch above Double-A and he has a history of significant shoulder issues. The second prospect is a 17-year-old who spent last year in the DSL, according to Rosenthal. Laird gives the Tigers the reliable regular catcher they weren't going to find in free agency. He's under control for two more years and will likely make about $3 million in 2009.

G

Been waiting for this day for what seems like FOREVER!!!!

Lets see some action in the next few days!!!!

Cardinals need a beast starting pitcher!!!!

G

Via MLBTR.

According to George King of the New York Post, the Brewers could offer C.C. Sabathia an opt-out clause after three seasons to entice him to sign (similar to the Blue Jays' deal for A.J. Burnett). At this time, only the Brewers and Yankees have offers on the table for Sabathia. King talked to a source who said in regard to the Giants, "It would have to be a total default position in terms of years and dollars." Perhaps that indicates the Giants can't really go beyond the Brewers' five-year, $100MM offer.

Very interesting.

Get the Hell out of the NL Central CC! Unless you are going to the Cardinals. Which isn't happening. AND STAY AWAY FROM BOSTON!!!

* The Cardinals are a serious bidder for A.J. Burnett. They also pursued him back in 2005. However, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch recently wrote that the Cards "are not expected to pursue the free agent pool's bigger fish: C.C. Sabathia, Ben Sheets, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe."

Not sure if I like Burnett or not.

According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals GM John Mozeliak recently shifted his focus from trades to free agency in regards to his pitching staff. They briefly mulled the idea of jumping in on Jake Peavy but decided against it.

Strauss suggests four free agent starters the Cardinals might consider signing for the short-term: Oliver Perez, Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf, and Brad Penny. The Cards have about $15-17MM to work with, but they won't be chasing the big fish free agent starters.

Straus adds that it now looks like the Cardinals will retain second baseman Adam Kennedy.

I really wish they would jump into the Peavy mix! Carpenter, Wainwright and Peavy? That's just ******* SICK!

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Brewers Re-Sign Todd Coffey
By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 10:51am CST]

According to Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, the Brewers signed reliever Todd Coffey to a one-year, $800K deal with $200K in incentives. The Brewers added Jorge Julio to their pen a few days ago.

Renck also reports the Rockies signed catcher Paul Phillips to a minor league deal to add depth.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
darren oliver accepted the angels arbitration offer; garland, frankie and teixeira declined.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
I heard there was a rumor

Giants get:
David Wright
Minor League player

Mets get:
Tim Alderson
matt Cain
Player to be named

:eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Halonut said:
darren oliver accepted the angels arbitration offer; garland, frankie and teixeira declined.

Thank the man above. I'm so glad he is not coming back, he is garbage. I wish OC was never traded :( :cry:

Astros Willing To Trade Tejada
By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 11:04am CST]
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Astros are willing to trade Miguel Tejada. Teams are interested in him as a shortstop and third baseman. Rosenthal figures the Twins, Dodgers, Giants, and Angels could be matches. He adds that the Astros realize they'd have to eat some of Tejada's $13MM for '09. Richard Justice figures it'd require eating at least half.

Rosenthal says the Astros are not inclined to trade closer Jose Valverde. And Justice figures Ty Wigginton could be tough to move as his salary climbs toward $10MM.

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Mets Closer Rumors
By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 11:16am CST]
11:16am: Jon Heyman and Ken Davidoff/David Lennon agree that the Mets are meeting with Fuentes and Hoffman shortly. And Heyman believes the Mets' offer to K-Rod last night was for three years.

10:33am: Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger says the Mets and Blue Jays had discussions about B.J. Ryan. However, the Jays want Fernando Martinez and the Mets don't want to trade the young outfield prospect.

7:50am: According to David Lennon of Newsday, the Omar Minaya and other Mets officials dined at a steakhouse with Francisco Rodriguez for over four hours Sunday night. Lennon believes the early presence of Mets COO Jeff Wilpon implies that negotiations with K-Rod may have reached a critical stage.

SI.com's Jon Heyman wrote earlier yesterday evening that the Mets were expected to make an offer to Rodriguez at the meeting. Maybe three years with a vesting option.

The Mets also plan to meet with Brian Fuentes and Trevor Hoffman today, with Kerry Wood also on the radar. Ken Davidoff looks at the options and says, "It's gotta be K-Rod." The Rangers like Wood as well, by the way.

G

thefasterblade said:
At this point you can't think Carpenter is anything to the Cardinals staff anymore.

I hope he can come back and have a full season next year.

I read yesterday that he'd be cleared and good to go for Spring Training this Spring.

I hope he can stay healthy.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Sam Banks said:
thefasterblade said:
At this point you can't think Carpenter is anything to the Cardinals staff anymore.

I hope he can come back and have a full season next year.

I read yesterday that he'd be cleared and good to go for Spring Training this Spring.

I hope he can stay healthy.

Usually when you have to say something like "I hope he can stay healthy" about a guy, chances are he can't.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
LAS VEGAS – The Los Angeles Dodgers are nearing a contract agreement with third baseman Casey Blake after raising their offer to three years, sources said Monday morning.

The team expected to hear more from Blake’s representative, Jim McDowell, as the meetings went on. Blake batted .271 with 21 home runs and 74 RBIs, splitting season between the Cleveland Indians and the Dodgers. Blake rejected an offer from the Minnesota Twins a few days ago because they wouldn’t agree to a third year.

Staying on the theme of reuniting the left side of their infield, the Dodgers were to meet later Monday with Rafael Furcal’s agent, Paul Kinzer. It would appear the market has softened for Furcal, who is fending off suspicions his surgically-repaired back could be an ongoing issue.

Furcal turned down a lowball, four-year offer from the Oakland Athletics last week and might be having trouble finding anything better. He said immediately after the season that he wanted to return to the Dodgers, where he played the last three years, but the significant early interest in him on the free-agent market caused him to explore his options. Those options may be dwindling fast

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Phillies could be the third team in Cubs/Padres deal for Peavy

Roto World said:
The Phillies have reportedly emerged as a possible third team in the discussions between the Cubs and Padres regarding Jake Peavy.The Cubs and Phillies wouldn't seem to have much of a fit, unless the Phillies were particularly enamored with third base prospect Josh Vitters and were willing to throw a couple of young pitchers San Diego's way in order to get him. Ronny Cedeno to Philadelphia would also make some sense, but he's hardly a major piece.

Members online

Latest posts