Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MAJOR problem with eBay's new baseball card category???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If you are selling an autograph card, if you have it listed in Cards - Baseball, there is no autograph sub-category for people searching auto cards. But if you put it in the Autographs - Baseball - Trading cards category, no one will see it if they are searching baseball cards, which it is. What a freaking MESS! Not everyone knows to search "auto", so if you can't fit the entire word autograph, how many views will you be losing???

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I see what your saying, but I just do not see it as a big problem. However, it's just another reason I'm glad I gave up selling on e-bay months ago.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I noticed this earlier today, I had to backdoor all of my searches. This might help people from mis-listing in categories but also might create some "steals" for buyers.

CP_C

Sep 11, 2009
I pray this is some sort of glitch on their end because it's going to make many more sellers back away from ebay.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
None of my searches involve categories so i don't worry about it from a buyer's perspective. Probably a little bonus to buyers. I don't think it is that big of a hit for sellers. I don't know many people who solely search by category although a few views will probably be lost. I am more upset about no counter offers anymore.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It doesn't affect MY searches, because I search very specifically. But to the general public, say they type "Justin Upton autograph", will they will only see the listings with the full word autograph and not the ones with auto? There used to be a sub-category that would allow them to see all autograph/auto within the search. I'm afraid they won't see autos.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
mredsox89 said:
None of my searches involve categories so i don't worry about it from a buyer's perspective. Probably a little bonus to buyers. I don't think it is that big of a hit for sellers. I don't know many people who solely search by category although a few views will probably be lost. I am more upset about no counter offers anymore.

You can still counter-offer. I just don't need to lose views on my items because of these new changes. I guess we will see what happens.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
sportscardtheory said:
mredsox89 said:

You can still counter-offer. I just don't need to lose views on my items because of these new changes. I guess we will see what happens.
http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62012

No more counters

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
mredsox89 said:
sportscardtheory said:
mredsox89 said:

No more counters

That's not true. I called eBay... I posted that in that thread.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It's officially F---ED. I searched Justin Upton autograph and got 44 listings, then I searched Justin Upton auto and got 117. Autograph and auto are now separate... wonderful.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
sportscardtheory said:
mredsox89 said:
sportscardtheory said:
mredsox89 said:

No more counters

That's not true. I called eBay... I posted that in that thread.

hmm. Must have been a glitch cause 5 minutes ago I couldn't counter and i just tried again and it works. ::facepalm::

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
marterburn said:
sportscardtheory said:
It's officially F---ED. I searched Justin Upton autograph and got 44 listings, then I searched Justin Upton auto and got 117. Autograph and auto are now separate... wonderful.

try justin upton auto* ?

yea, i have always used the * option. It makes searches so much easier. I never even knew that autograph and auto came up in the same search if you didn't use auto*

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
marterburn said:
sportscardtheory said:

try justin upton auto* ?

I'm not worried about how I search, I'm worried about the people that don't know how, which is most people.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I've never listed an autograph card in the sub category of autographs, in fact, I'm not sure I was aware it existed. I list cards as either rookies, inserts, or singles.

marterburn

sportscardtheory said:
marterburn said:
sportscardtheory said:

try justin upton auto* ?

I'm not worried about how I search, I'm worried about the people that don't know how, which is most people.

::facepalm::

ah, yes, now i see

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Pretty sure most people who know what they are looking for search for
"auto" or "auto*" anyway. I have never listed something with the full word
"autograph", or put it in that category, nor have I ever searched that way when buying.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Try Justin Upton auto*

You don't think msot people search like this?

sportscardtheory said:

Latest posts