Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball Busts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
So, I am only 15 and started watching baseball when I was 4, so since 1998. My cousin really got me into prospects and all this since I was 10 so since 2003. Since then I have followed prospects and have come across many "busts". Here is my list of the "biggest busts" in my opinion

BUSTS:

Matt Bush (Major idiot)
Mark Prior (He was so good but just was over-used. Not his fault but lost a great opportunity)
Brien Taylor (Idiot)
Wade Townsend (Drafted #6 two years in a row)
Eric Duncan (I actually saw him play in high school and he was absolutly great)
Delmon Young (He still has a chance but seems to be getting worse and worse. I am glad Tampa traded him)
Nick Adenhart (A bust because he had his life stolen from him and he really had a bright future ahead for him)
Matt Antonelli (Just don't know what happened)
Bryon Bullington
Dewon Brazelton (I remember all the hype he had with Tampa saying he was their "Ace of the Future" What happened?)
Rocco Baldelli (A sad bust here as well. He had some good years up until his 1st couple injuries and then being diagnosed with the Mitochondrial disorder. Could have been a great player)

ON THE CUSP OF BEING A BUST:

Alex Gordon (He's not living up to all the hype that was surrounding him and seems like the MLB is "too much")
Jeremy Jeffress (With all the steroid use he just is making himself worse and worse)
Billy Rowell (I think the O's may give up on him. I saw him play in High School too and he probably should have gone to college to develop)

I am sure there are more so let's see who your busts are and here what you guys have to say

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I know what you are intending to show with your list...but I dont really think you can call Prior, Adenhart, and Baldelli busts.....

Prior may not have lived up to the hype and has been injured a lot, but he is still a starting pitcher at the big league level.

Adenhart was fantastic in the minors and showed how well he was going to be in the majors---certainly not a bust...

Baldelli has had numerous good years and was very valuable for the Rays until his recent illness--but certainly not a bust--I dont even remember him being a highly touted prospect.

TK

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Wasn't Jeffress busted for weed?

Gordon isn't a bust.I think he just didn't live up to they hype.I don't consider that being a bust.I consider someone who never gets a career going and maintains it to be a bust.Kinda like Brien Taylor.

EDIT:

Damn...numberonemetfan beat me to it!

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
gracecollector said:
Maybe I'm just bitter right now, but can we add Milton Bradley?

Dont be mad because just because the Cubs have to pay him $20 mil........

I dont even think Milton Bradly can be called a bust really.....an arrogant arse, maybe, but not a bust.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
josh3302 said:
Nick Adenhart (A bust because he had his life stolen from him and he really had a bright future ahead for him)

That's like calling Ernie Davis a bust. Not only rude, but completely untrue.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
Antonelli can;t be called a bust yet, what happened is that his swing sucked. The Padres FO had a problem with it when he was drafted, but since he was having success with it they let him go on with it. But now that he's struggled two years in a row he was sent to Instructs to rework it completely, he could make a comeback next year.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Zan said:
Dude, really, Adenhart? Take him off that list right now. How insensitive can you be?

zan

Honestly...by the definitions a lot of the board seems to recognize for a prospect being a bust...Adenhart qualifies.He never lived up to the hype.While his death was tragic and a serious waste of life and talent due to idiocy...he never ='d his hype factor.I don't personally agree he was a bust by I think a lot of people are trying to pick and choose their definition as it suits them.Ernie Davis would have been considered a bust as well by a lot of standards the board seems to have.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
A number of disagreements with the list, which is too long to get into, but where, oh where is Matt Harrington? A number of the players on the list either aren't true busts, or became so through injury, but Harrington to me is the epitome of a true bust.

Members online

Latest posts