Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 Bowman Sterling - Then and NOw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
While I'm not amazingly familiar with past and current prices of this product, I am surprised by how little some of them have gone up. I will say that collecting (and not investing) wise, I'll take a 08 chrome auto over a 07 sterling auto because it took a couple more months for topps to put out a higher quality on card auto.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
So basically Lincecum has been the best pitcher in baseball since that product released and his cards have only gone up 25% ::facepalm:: . These types of things have to change how the entire market is priced eventually.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
mredsox89 said:
So basically Lincecum has been the best pitcher in baseball since that product released and his cards have only gone up 25% ::facepalm:: . These types of things have to change how the entire market is priced eventually.
ITs all about his chrome autos. Last year 75-80, now 120ish. give or take.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
darocker80 said:
mredsox89 said:

But even that isn't much, considering what he has done. 50% gain for the best pitcher in baseball?

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
mredsox89 said:
darocker80 said:
mredsox89 said:

But even that isn't much, considering what he has done. 50% gain for the best pitcher in baseball?
well ok in the off season i forgot last off season or two seasons ago they were maintaining 40-50 for a good 4 months! ;)

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
mredsox89 said:
darocker80 said:
mredsox89 said:

well ok in the off season i forgot last off season or two seasons ago they were maintaining 40-50 for a good 4 months! ;)

The chrome autos?

Mrredsox makes a valid point, in each of their respective cases, Heyward, Bumgarner and Lincecum have achieved great success, not marginal, great. That being said, the spike in their prices has not been nearly as big as the fall off in other's prices.

If people were rational this would lead to lower prices out of the gate...but with cards, I'm not sure they are.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I think there is definitely that certain group that must have the card immediately on release. If that group shrinks in size, then maybe the initial release prices would drop otherwise I don't see it happening. Appears as though a reasonable strategy is to wait 6 months post release and buy the mid/high level guy that you are looking because the general trend for these guys seems to be high at release, post release dip in price, then either a fade to oblivion, a nice breakout, or in the rare case of a Lincecum, a rise to stardom.

Alex

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
UMich92 said:
I think there is definitely that certain group that must have the card immediately on release. If that group shrinks in size, then maybe the initial release prices would drop otherwise I don't see it happening. Appears as though a reasonable strategy is to wait 6 months post release and buy the mid/high level guy that you are looking because the general trend for these guys seems to be high at release, post release dip in price, then either a fade to oblivion, a nice breakout, or in the rare case of a Lincecum, a rise to stardom.

Alex

That would be the "mancrush" group or perhaps the "I have to have the newest cards" group. I think your strategy of waiting works but has one thing that might cause it issues.

Often, a major glut of these cards are available at release, even if you want something as rare as a black refractor /25, you might have 2 or 3 to choose from. If you wait for 6 months you most likely are going to have to settle for the base variety of whatever card you are purchasing, you just wont see the black refractors that often.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have been in this hobby 30+ years and its always been that the big hitters get the big money. Its rare that a pitcher, no matter how good he is, sells for more bucks than the home run hitters. Thats why I learned a long time ago that "investing" in pitchers is generally not the wisest investment of you want big returns. I also found out that the big hitters usually flame out real fast and that is why I dont try to "invest" in cards anymore. Too much volatility and even more now with the advent of steroids.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
mchenrycards said:
I have been in this hobby 30+ years and its always been that the big hitters get the big money. Its rare that a pitcher, no matter how good he is, sells for more bucks than the home run hitters. Thats why I learned a long time ago that "investing" in pitchers is generally not the wisest investment of you want big returns. I also found out that the big hitters usually flame out real fast and that is why I dont try to "invest" in cards anymore. Too much volatility and even more now with the advent of steroids.

when prospecting, timing is everything

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Whats even more interesting is the margin on the price (lost/gained) compared to price per case. This is Topps luxury line, and is constantly undersold compared to more affordable lines like Bowman / Topps Chrome.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
bradical said:
Whats even more interesting is the margin on the price (lost/gained) compared to price per case. This is Topps luxury line, and is constantly undersold compared to more affordable lines like Bowman / Topps Chrome.

In my mind, it is hard to market yourself as a luxury brand with stickers...not that it can't happen, it just makes it harder.

People just love the simple, clean, on-card look of Bowman Chrome Autos. They are now the standard by which all else prospecting is measured.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
masonphillip said:
In my mind, it is hard to market yourself as a luxury brand with stickers...not that it can't happen, it just makes it harder.

People just love the simple, clean, on-card look of Bowman Chrome Autos. They are now the standard by which all else prospecting is measured.

At $240/box, i'd consider it a luxury product.

But I agree that the stickers kill the product.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
bradical said:
masonphillip said:

Oh I agree, the price merits that label but the resale prices don't indicate people consider it to be so. Then again you only get 1 BDP auto per box as opposed to tons in sterling.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
bradical said:
masonphillip said:

$240 a box with 13 sticker autos vs. a $60 BDP on card with 1 auto.

I'll take the sticker autos.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
bradical said:
masonphillip said:

From what perspective? If it is a rip and flip perspective you will almost always do better with BDP than you will with Sterling if you rip en masse.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Jeff N. said:
bradical said:
masonphillip said:

Yea, that is the key. Especially when there is little value in the BDP base set, Sterling is probably a better option

Latest posts