Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AL Cy Young - Felix or Greinke

Who Gets Your AL Cy Young Vote?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
So we've talked a lot about the NL Cy Young, but not as much about the AL.

I know people will pull up CC's name, but frankly, it should be between Greinke and Felix...

Here are some interesting points (and yes, this was from the Mariners group on Facebook), but it compares Greinke and Felix:

1. Hernandez has a 10-3 record against teams with winning records this season while Greinke is 6-4.

2. Hernandez has a 2.15 ERA (35 earned runs in 146 1/3 innings) against teams with winning records while Greinke has a 0.57 ERA (6 earned runs in 95 innings) against teams with winning records.

3. Hernandez is 5-1 against probable playof teams and Greinke is 4-2.

4. Felix has pitched at least seven innings 21 times, two more than Greinke.

5. Felix faced the Dodgers, Giants, Padres and D-backs in Interleague Play. Greinke faced the Astros, Pirates and D-backs.

6. Hernandez's longest winning streak was seven games, one more than Greinke.

7. Felix has 10 no-decisions, two more than Greinke.

8. The Mariners scored 21 runs in the five games Hernandez lost, the Royals scored 15 runs in the eight games Greinke lost.

9. Felix plays for a team that averages 3.95 runs per game (last in the AL) while Greinke's team scores an average of 4.24 runs per game.

And here are some additional Felix numbers PRIOR to his last start (again, taken from an M's group on Facebook):

* In 30 starts, King Fellix is 15-5 with a 2.52 ERA.

* Leads all American League starters with 25 quality starts and has the lowest opponents batting average -- .228.

* Ranks second in the AL in ERA (2.52), tied for third in starts (30), tied for fourth in wins (15), fourth in strikeouts (193), and fifth in strikeouts per nine innings pitched. (8.38).

* Is the only pitcher to rank in the top five in the AL in each of the three pitching "Triple Crown" categories -- wins ERA and strikeouts.

* Has recorded a quality start in 20 of his last 21 outings.

* Since May 24, is 11-1 with a 1.91 ERA, has a 137-45 strikeout-walk ratio and a .213 opposing batting average.

* Leads the AL with seven starts of at least 7.0 shutout innings.

* With seven more strikeouts, and assuming he finishes with an ERA below 3.00, will become just the second pitcher in club history to post a season of 200 innings, 200 strikeouts, 15 wins and a sub-.300 ERA. Randy Johnson accomplished this in 1995 and '97, winning the Cy Young Award in '95.

And of course, here are the basic stats:

Greinke - 15-8, 6 CG, 3 SHO, 229 K, 47 BB, 2.08 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, .228 BAA
Hernandez - 16-5, 2 CG, 1 SHO, 196 K, 64 BB, 2.45 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .229 BAA
Sabathia - 18-7, 2 CG, 1 SHO, 188 K, 60 BB, 3.31 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .232 BAA

So who gets your vote?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Grienke.

Because I want BOTH the 09 NL and AL Cy Young winners to come from M. I. crooked letter, crooked letter, O. U. R. I. (sorry, had to throw a little Nelly out there)

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Is the "P" for prosect related threads or polls? I don't care either way but just curious...

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Messier2 said:
Is the "P" for prosect related threads or polls? I don't care either way but just curious...

Well in this case, it's "P" for "Poll" :) :) :)

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
It's Greinke. And I don't think it should be close. My ballot would be in order Greinke, Hernandez, Verlander, Sabathia, Lester.

Alex

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I'm an M's fan, I love Felix and most years his season would take it, but I think Greinke has been the best pitcher in baseball this year. Also, this obviously didn't factor into my choice, but if Felix wins it, it probably becomes harder to get him to sign an extension that's reasonable.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
CC doesnt belong at all with Grenike and Felix. I have it the same way the poster above does, except with Verlander and CC swapped: Greinke, Felix, CC, Verlander, Lester. I could definitely see Lester overtaking Verlander depending on how the last few starts for both go, as well.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I can't see how Sabathia is getting votes. I think Verlander, Halladay, and Lester all could reasonably be put above him, they're all in the race for 3rd.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
js0000001 said:
Jays_Cards said:
js0000001 said:
C.C. pitches in the hardest division

....and his stats are roughly half as good as Greinke's....

except wins

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frow

Gotta go with Greinke. He's been amazing and working with so little.

Some Greinke vs Felix stats that are biased the other way. Just for fun

Greinke has only received and average of 3.75 runs per game of support which is actually up from 3.40 that he had for most of the season while Felix is sitting pretty with 4.28.

The Mariners have never failed to score with Felix on the mound, while Greinke received no run support in 4 games,

In 31 Starts the Royals scored 3 runs or less 19 times or 63% of his starts. For the Mariners Felix received 4 runs or more in 19 games for the same 63% of the time.

Half of Greinke's losses came in games were he gave up 3 or fewer runs. Twice he gave up only 1 run. In all of Felix's losses he gave up at least 5 runs (in one gave he gave up 3 earned, but had 6 runs total)

Greinke has 10 games where he gave up 0 earned runs. Felix has two fewer. Greinke has also only give up 5 or more runs twice where as Felix has done it 5 times.

Ok...bored of comparing just will give these

Greinke
ERA - 1st
WHIP - 1st
Hits/IP - 1st
BoB/IP - 6th
K/9 - 3rd
IP - 4th
SO - 2nd
CG - 2nd
SHO - 1st
K/BB - 2nd
HR/9 - 1st
Adjusted ERA - 1st

Honestly though. I would think Verlander would be a better candidate than Felix.

Members online

Latest posts