Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm only 20 years late, question about 89' UD boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cammy collector

May 4, 2009
Western Maryland
Can the Griffey be pulled from a high box? I thought it was only low boxes that produced the card, but I've read different. I'd LOVE to crack a box and actually pull one myself but the disparity in price between the two series' is considerable, hence the question. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
cgilmo said:
and make sure whatever you buy has the factory shrink wrap

the griffey is easily searchable

they werent shrink wrapped in 1989 i do not believe

that is affirmative.

Nothing was shrink wrapped back then.

If you purchased a shrink-wrapped box, then someone did it afterwards (hopefully not after searching all the packs..)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
brouthercard said:
ThoseBackPages said:
cgilmo said:
and make sure whatever you buy has the factory shrink wrap

the griffey is easily searchable

they werent shrink wrapped in 1989 i do not believe

that is affirmative.

Nothing was shrink wrapped back then.

If you purchased a shrink-wrapped box, then someone did it afterwards (hopefully not after searching all the packs..)

Thank you for the confirmation. i think UD started shrink wrapping in 1990 witht he high numbers and "Find The Reggie"

i know that UD's 1990/91 Hockey Boxes were shrink wrapped

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Each high-number pack has 9 cards #1-700 and 6 701-800, IIRC. So while it's possible to pull card #1, you have a 40% better chance with low series.

They are searchable in that there was a pattern to the collation. People figured out that if you open the pack at the top of a stack and it was card #X, it was very likely that some number of packs below that there was a Griffey. And without being sealed, it was possible to do some shenanigans with searching and shifting packs around for reselling "full" boxes.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
boomo said:
um, how is the griffey searchable?
is his hologram different?

Generally speaking people will not tell you how to search a product. In this case the product is very old and the information is relatively common knowledge. Back then it was easy to spot a pattern and apply that pattern to other boxes to find the valuable card. I believe that is vague enough that people understand that I am not trying to teach anyone how to pack search but yet specific enough for people to be wary of buying this product. Obviously the vendors make a better attempt at randomization and the pack searchers have found new ways to search. It's a cat and mouse game.. usually... some vendors just don't care and make no effort to deter pack searching. They don't seem to care once they have made the sale and the product leaves their warehouse. It's someone else's problem after that.

Tom

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I bought a box from an unopened case from BBCE a little while back.

I pulled two Griffey's and it was honestly one of the most thrilling collecting moments of my life. I never pulled one as a kid, and when I saw that first one staring at me, I couldn't have been more excited. It honestly felt like I was 12 again, but this time...I got lucky.

If you can find a reputable dealer I would suggest trying your luck 100%.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
smapdi said:
Each high-number pack has 9 cards #1-700 and 6 701-800, IIRC. So while it's possible to pull card #1, you have a 40% better chance with low series.

They are searchable in that there was a pattern to the collation. People figured out that if you open the pack at the top of a stack and it was card #X, it was very likely that some number of packs below that there was a Griffey. And without being sealed, it was possible to do some shenanigans with searching and shifting packs around for reselling "full" boxes.

[youtube:2zk9j2y5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YzwL9-c_w[/youtube:2zk9j2y5]

Not that I searched, but remember the talk of cheaters searching.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I have an untouched HI # box that I was thinking of putting on the Bay, but I don't know how to convince people that it's unsearched. If it were a LOW #, I could pretty much guarantee at least one Griffey, but I don't know about the HI.

cammy collector

May 4, 2009
Western Maryland
smapdi said:

thanks for the contributions everyone! this is exactly what I wanted to know

-Mike

CP_C

Sep 11, 2009
mchenrycards said:
BAseball Card Exchange has sold many boxes to a number of people I know. Most have pulled Griffeys but it depends on the collation. I would trust BBCE there is no doubt about that.

I tacked on 3 low packs to my last order from BBCE just for the heck of it. Pulled a Griffey that came back a PSA 9.

I absolutely trust BBCE.

cammy collector

May 4, 2009
Western Maryland
CP_C said:
mchenrycards said:
BAseball Card Exchange has sold many boxes to a number of people I know. Most have pulled Griffeys but it depends on the collation. I would trust BBCE there is no doubt about that.

I tacked on 3 low packs to my last order from BBCE just for the heck of it. Pulled a Griffey that came back a PSA 9.

I absolutely trust BBCE.

SWEEEEET! congrats!

Latest posts